Reports about cruises on Azura

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Azura A322N - Black Sea - Part 5

Post by Gill W »

Day 12 - Yalta

Today we did an excursion to Sevastopol and Balaclava. It was a full day excursion. When we got to our lunch stop, just as we were going into the restaurant there was a crack of thunder, and the heavens opened with torrential rain. Whilst we were eating it continued to pour, although it stopped in time for us to stroll along Balaclava prom. Our last stop was Balaclava submarine base. Only just over twenty years ago this was all top secret - there have been many changes in a short period of time. Then it was back on the bus, for the journey back to Yalta, along the hilly roads.

Along the route, there was a police road block. Our driver spoke to the policeman, but we were allowed to continue on our route. A bit further on, we came across a queue of traffic. All the heavy rain had caused a major mud slide and the road was blocked. Our driver was just about to start backing up, but he spoke to two pedestrians, who told him that a single lane had just been cleared, and we should be able to go through

So we carried on, and sure enough, were able to squeeze through. There was a car marooned in the middle of deep mud, must have been scary for that driver. We got back to the ship on time. We were coach 13, but it was clearly our lucky day, as some other coaches were delayed an hour or more. Another coach broke down, and all the mud slides meant that their replacement coach was delayed, so they didn't get back to the ship until about 7.45pm.

We were therefore late in sailing, I think we moved off shortly after 8pm.

We had our evening meal in the Verona trattoria, and our evening entertainment was Manuel Martinez in Manhattan, one of my favourite P&O entertainers .

So all in all quite an eventful day, but I'm glad we were on the right coach!

Day 13 - Odessa

After yesterday's late sailing we were slightly late arriving in Odessa, at about 9.30, although we will also sail slightly later.

This morning, we took a stroll round the town, going up the Potemkin Steps to reach the centre.

It's not as warm as it has been, but our balcony is sunny and sheltered, so we plan to spend the afternoon sitting here and having a read.

I think we'll probably go to the buffet again tonight as it's Indian night. Most likely we'll go to the Playhouse afterwards, as the Chapman Brothers are on - I enjoyed seeing them on a previous cruise.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Azura A322N - Black Sea - Part 5

Post by Manoverboard »

Thanks again .... Indian Night you say ;)

Yalta and Sevastopol are worthy Ports in their own right and this, for us, was the major failing of P&O in this particular region and why we opted for a different Cruise Line.

Maybe one day P&O will get a grip and use Ventura, ex Med, for a 14 day cruise to include the whole of the Black Sea with a couple of stop over nights in Istanbul.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Azura Cruise Reports”