Reports about cruises on Azura

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Azura A322N - Black Sea - Part 8

Post by Gill W »

Day 19 - 22

We've had four straight days at sea. I wasn't looking forward to this part of the cruise, fearing that I'd feel that the best part of the cruise was over, and that it's a bit of an anti-climax.

However, the days have slipped by quickly, and very pleasantly, as for the first three days we've had lovely weather, so all I needed to do was to sit out near the Coral Pool or on our balcony, with my Kindle.

Our Caribbean tier lunch was on the third sea day. We were on a table hosted by a nice young lady from the tours team.

However, this fourth sea day isn't quite so nice, weatherwise, but the sun has now come out after lunch.

It's a good opportunity to reflect on a couple of points.

The biggest issue on this cruise seems to be the 8.30 show in the Playhouse, and the fact that, to get a seat, you need to get there by about 8pm. I've heard that some of the club diners are having to rush off without having their coffee, and even making adverse comments if their dining companions want a starter and soup, thus making the meal longer!

They seem to have done away with the three shows a night. I can understand it in a way, as the 7.15 show tended to be only half full, but we now have a situation where it's actually causing inconvenience to people to seethe show.

Once again, I am delighted that we have freedom dining, so we can please ourselves with what we do. We decide whether we want to see the 8.30 show in the Playhouse or the 9.45 show in Manhattan, and then make our dining arrangements to tie in with what show we want to see.

My favourite evenings are an early meal in the buffet, a post dinner drink in Planet Bar, and a saunter to the Playhouse at around 7.45, in order to get a good seat. So much more relaxing than the formal dining experience in the MDR, and a rush to finish everything, to try and get any seat at the show.

Our likely dining arrangements over the 24 nights will probably end up as follows

1 night - XVII
2 nights - Sindhu
1 night - Verona trattoria
4 nights Glasshouse
7 nights - MDR
9 nights - buffet

In the latter part of the cruise, it has become a little easier to get a table for two at around 6pm in the MDR. However, before we came on this cruise, we had already decided not to use the MDR every night, and the whole traditional dining room thing remains my least favourite option for the evening meal.

The Verona trattoria was lovely.......... But sometimes the queue started at 6pm for a 6.30 opening, hence only the one visit.

Regarding evening entertainment. We've been quite selective, only choosing to see things we think we'll like. Headliners have been fab, especially the male singers, and we've seen a few old favourite cabaret acts, and a few new ones. Worth a special mention - Ben Makisi, a tenor from New Zealand, with a repertoire of songs from musical theatre and popular opera. He got a standing ovation.

On the forum we often talk about the need for updating the entertainment. But I think the average P&O punter likes traditional.

I sometimes feel very out of step with my fellow passengers when it comes to entertainment. I thought The Chapman Brothers were great - but were dismissed by many as being 'too loud'. The comedians I liked, didn't raise a titter from some, whereas I was laughing out loud. Whereas an act like Colin 'Fingers' Henry, a pianist/traditional comedian, had them literally rocking with laughter, but I was only mildly amused. (Although he was an excellent pianist)

I don't think the entertainment will be majorly updated for several years to come.

Day 23 - Vigo

It's a Sunday, it's Vigo, a bit cloudy........ So not much to say really!

But we did have a good walk round, and bought some chocolate at that mall near the terminal building.

It was a mid afternoon sailing, at about 3pm. As this is the last port before home, it was the Great British Sailaway.

I know it's not cool or intellectual ....... But I love the Great British Sailaway. The proceedings were lead by Neil Oliver and the Entertainment Team. The party went on for about two hours, as everyone was enjoying themselves so much. I think the Ents Team were fit to drop at the end, with all the dancing they had to do.

Neil and the team have been superb throughout the entire cruise. I know I'm in the Neil Oliver Fan Club, but he really is a brilliant Cruise Director.

Tonight we are having our second visit to Sindhu, which I'm looking forward to.

Day 24

We are all packed, and just about to turn in at the end of the last day.

I had wondered how I'd get along with a longer cruise, and I'm pleased to report that this was good training for the legs of world cruises that we hope to do in future.

In fact, I can't believe how quickly 24 days can pass.

We've had mostly fabulous weather, a big ship with plenty of choices. In fact we only got around to having the tapas style lunch in The Glass House today. There has been plenty of day time entertainment - although for the most part I was happy to sit around, reading.

I enjoyed all the ports, even the old favourites like Vigo and Lisbon. The evening entertainment that we saw was mostly to my liking and I have no complaints about food.

The only minor downsides were queues sometimes, and the issues with the 8.30 shows that I've already mentioned. I've been on Azura before, and on Ventura, and didn't experience any of the queues that we've had this time.

But overall, a brilliant experience. Longer cruises will certainly be on my agenda in future.
Gill

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Azura A322N - Black Sea - Part 8

Post by Jan Rosser »

Another great report Gill - really interesting to read someone else's take on Freedom dining which personally I like but agree about the queues - we seemed to time it right in August with the family but saw lots of people with buzzers when we came out at around 8 pm.

The 8.30 performance was exactly the same - we had to be there just after 8 pm to sit together (7 of us).

The longest cruise I have done is 35 days (Caribbean and USA) which I loved and I must admit after that I am apprehensive about a full World but never having been further east than the UAE I would love to see more of that half of the world.

So may be longer legs of the World cruise is the answer - may see you one day ;)
Janis

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thanks Jan, just give me a couple more years to get my pesky working life out of the way, and I'll be there!
Gill

stocktonmackem
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by stocktonmackem »

I have enjoyed reading your reports Gill. My brother and his wife were on this cruise so I have been very interested in the places you have visited. I have just changed my dinner preference to freedom for next years cruise, mainly for the reason's you have highlighted and that is getting into to the shows etc. When on Ventura on our recent cruise we used to phone the wine line to order our wine for the evening. Can you do this when on freedom dining. :?:

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

stocktonmackem wrote:
I have enjoyed reading your reports Gill. My brother and his wife were on this cruise so I have been very interested in the places you have visited. I have just changed my dinner preference to freedom for next years cruise, mainly for the reason's you have highlighted and that is getting into to the shows etc. When on Ventura on our recent cruise we used to phone the wine line to order our wine for the evening. Can you do this when on freedom dining. :?:
Thank you for reading :D

Regarding the wine line - we haven't used this, but I understand that it is available to freedom diners - when you call, you just need to give your cabin number, and the wine will find its way to your table when you go in to the MDR
Gill

stocktonmackem
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by stocktonmackem »

Thanks Gill, thought that it would probably work the same way. We only used the wine line for the first time on our cruise, mainly because the wine waiter was a bit slow and our meal was nearly finished by the time he got to us. :D At least when we ordered it we had only had the starter :D Look forward to reading many more reports from you in the future. :thumbup:

Return to “Azura Cruise Reports”