Shuttle bus

Azura cruises in 2013

Topic author
Wendy F
Cadet
Cadet

Shuttle bus

Post by Wendy F »

Anyone know if P&O do a shuttle service from the port of Piraeus to Athens ?

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Shuttle bus

Post by noddy10 »

Not a free shuttle bus to Athens only into Piraeus. P&O sold an excursion "Athens on your own" which just took you into Athens and left you there under your own steam for 4 hrs. The only other way is to book an excursion or see if its feasible to do it by yourself by public transport.
Last edited by noddy10 on 06 Apr 2013, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Wendy F
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Wendy F »

Do you know how far it is Noddy10?

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

According to "How can we help" section on P&O website it is 6km to Athens. Go in there and put shuttle buses in search box and tells you all about shuttle buses at ports.

Topic author
Wendy F
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Wendy F »

If it is only 6km it can't be that expensive to take a taxi.
I am sure we have been on a shuttle bus for longer than 6km, maybe with the cut backs P&O are cutting back on the shuttle service.
Maybe if they put a charge on a shuttle service for places over a certain number of km, people would use it.

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

No we have been to Piraeus(Athens) a few times since 2000 with P&O and they have never done a free shuttle bus so its not a cutback. In fact the opposite happened a couple of years back when P&O announced all shuttle buses where provided and if they are provided by P&O would be free.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

no shuttle from Piraeus to Athens. We booked Athens on your own (it was strike time and we didn't want to risk public transport) This trip was guided into Athens and also included a short 'intro to useful places'.

Twas worth it.

We'd booked the New Acropolis museum online - a 10 am slot - more in hopes than expectation that we'd get there on time - we arrived at the museum desk at 9.55!
Meg
x

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

We were there at Xmas and just a short walk from the port ( turn left I think as you exit ) you will see the HoHo buses, I think we paid 20 euros each but basically used it as a means of getting from A to B, between the port and the buses there was an abundance of taxi's they were offering trips at between 25-30 euros pp but we chose the HoHo rather than be restricted to time, it is very easy to DIY, all I would say is leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship as the traffic can be very busy in the city.
Jo

Topic author
Wendy F
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Wendy F »

Hi Meg
Can you rtemember how much Athens on your own was and if it was half day or full day.

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

Usually most excursions that P&O do in the cities where they are "on your own" are usually full days.

arrbee
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by arrbee »

Wendy, We're on the same cruise as you and I have directions for getting to the metro station near the port if you're interested. We used a taxi the last time we were in Athens. We just wanted to go to the Acropolis and he was waiting when we exited the port at the port when we disembarked and met us later in the day. Unfortunately I can't remember how much it was but I do remember it was fairly cheap and as others have said there are always plenty of taxis waiting at the exit. We've also done a coach tour of the main sites then time in the Plaka. The whole time we were walking round we were terrified we get lost and miss the coach back to the ship! Also glad we'll be there this year when it's a wee bit cooler. Rhona

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

I have done the 'Athens on your own' and I seem to remember it was for about 4 hours in Athens to explore on your own. I hadn't done my homework at the time and I could have used the metro which like others said is not far from where the ship docks. Also not far are the hop on hop off buses and many people used them as well. You do have choices on what you can do. I noticed last time that you can actually see the Acropolis from the top deck on the ship but its better with binoculars.

Have a great time.

Return to “Azura Cruises 2013”