Oceana's refit - Glasshouse?

Discussions about anything related to Oceana

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Oceana's refit - Glasshouse?

Post by CaroleF »

There seems to be a lot of talk about Oceana having a Glasshouse put in when she goes in for her refit later this year. Various people have said that they have been told when on board that this is one thing that will be done. It seems as though the only place they could put it would be in place of Cafe Jardin. We will be very sorry if this is so. We do enjoy using Cafe Jardin for breakfast and sometimes for lunch as well. As far as I know The Glasshouse doesn't offer any breakfast so if that's so it would be one less option for breakfast which would increase the number of passengers in the buffet and main dining room. I know Cafe Jardin doesn't attract huge hoards of people but we've often found that as a cruise goes on more people discover Cafe Jardin for breakfast and the numbers there increase. I can see why P&O would put in The Glasshouse as it would be expected to return more revenue than Cafe Jardin - which let's face it is free other than in the evening.

I quite like The Glasshouse to use for lunch occasionally but John doesn't and on our last cruise on Aurora we only went there once and on Ventura in January we didn't go there at all, mainly because he didn't want to. Of course Cafe Jardin does suffer from people walking through to get to some of the cabins on Deck 8 but I assume this will still be the case if it's The Glasshouse. Oceana does suffer from not really having suitable places to put Select Dining - I don't know what Princess does with her ships of that class - Sea Princess for example. I assume they will have some sort of Select Dining.

Carole

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Oceana's refit - Glasshouse?

Post by qbman1 »

Even though they don't advertise the fact, the Glasshouse did offer breakfast snacks last time we were on Aurora. Aficionados are still muttering about the change from Jardin to Glasshouse there. Personally, I much prefer the Glasshouse and that definitely seems to be the way P&O is going at each re-fit. I hear there is even one on dear little Adonia now

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Will look forward to seeing what the glasshouse has to offer on our cruise on Adonia​ in June.

Lindsey

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Don't go breaking anything before we get there in July !

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

qbman1 wrote: 12 Apr 2017, 11:32
Even though they don't advertise the fact, the Glasshouse did offer breakfast snacks last time we were on Aurora. Aficionados are still muttering about the change from Jardin to Glasshouse there. Personally, I much prefer the Glasshouse and that definitely seems to be the way P&O is going at each re-fit. I hear there is even one on dear little Adonia now
As far as I could see, when I was on Aurora last month, the Glasshouse was the location for 'Suite People' only to have their breakfast.

The Glasshouse was very underused on Aurora, our cabin was on deck 8, so we walked past quite often, there were only a handful of people there at any one time. The poor waiters looked bored to death.

I personally like the Glasshouse, and we ate there twice. But its a bit off putting if the venue is so empty all the time.

Also, Café Bordeaux was, and Café Jardin is, a free alternative dining venue for breakfast and lunch, which probably has a lot to do with the popularity of the venues under that those names.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I loved Cafe B and hated it became a Marco PW instead. Glasshouse is an improvement on that in my view

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

Couldn't agree more Mervin. Although a Glasshouse is welcome, it should not have replaced Cafe Bordeaux, one of our favourite lunch venues on more than a dozen cruises on Aurora. It was always busy for late night snacks and Horlicks!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

We used to love it for breakfast Colin. It used to be the only place you could get it after about 10.30 and had some lovely alternatives to the buffet

London Cruiser
Cadet
Cadet

Post by London Cruiser »

Cafe Bordeaux was a great venue for Breakfast, lunch etc, making it a "Glasshouse" to me was trying to fix something that wasn't broke and rather than fixing the parts of Aurora that needed it. Cafe Jardin was never as good for food choice or service, however we thought it was ok. Better to get rid of the waste of space art gallery and make that a glasshouse !

AnnCAgain
Cadet
Cadet

Post by AnnCAgain »

I do wish the ships would retain some individuality. It's one reason we ring the changes with cruise companies now, for a bit of a change.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 12 Apr 2017, 16:54
I loved Cafe B and hated it became a Marco PW instead. Glasshouse is an improvement on that in my view
Agree absolutely. We have frequented the MPW gaff on several ships and never once had anything better than that on offer in the MDR. If fact, on Adonia, I felt really rough for most of the night afterwards. Probably should have gone for compo with hindsight !

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote: 13 Apr 2017, 09:52
Probably should have gone for compo with hindsight
Was that with chips or mashed potato :lol: :lol: :lol:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Don't think MPW does chips and mash - it would be pommes de terre cooked 17 ways and served in a bowl of oily potage

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

I thought it was gaullett (sic?) potatoes (aka a bag of ready salted crisps)
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I certainly think in general the MPW offering wasn't good enough alongside the other Select Dining options. I do now like the MPW menu alternatives on Gala Nights.

Return to “About Oceana”