Worst than the Noro.? Stuck on board with Coronavirus

Topics that are specific to cruising

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Worst than the Noro.? Stuck on board with Coronavirus

Post by Manoverboard »

Onelife wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 10:42
oldbluefox wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 09:50
Imagine being stuck i an inside cabin for that length of time. They are not big but apparently those on the Princess ship in Yokohama are allowed out of their cabins onto the promenade deck for an hour and a half just to get some fresh air as long as they don't mingle with each other. Then it's back to the cabin. Sounds horrendous. At least those with balconies can go outside. And all the time there's the fear that somehow you may contract the virus yourself.

I would be moving into the loo if l was stuck in the cabin with my wife for two weeks. :)
What happens if she wants to use the facilities …. just enquiring :?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Give her bucket......with a lid :o

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Manoverboard wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 11:58
Onelife wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 10:42
oldbluefox wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 09:50
Imagine being stuck i an inside cabin for that length of time. They are not big but apparently those on the Princess ship in Yokohama are allowed out of their cabins onto the promenade deck for an hour and a half just to get some fresh air as long as they don't mingle with each other. Then it's back to the cabin. Sounds horrendous. At least those with balconies can go outside. And all the time there's the fear that somehow you may contract the virus yourself.

I would be moving into the loo if l was stuck in the cabin with my wife for two weeks. :)
What happens if she wants to use the facilities …. just enquiring :?
l don't mind bumping into her once or twice a day.......someone has got to make my cups of tea :thumbup:

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Gill

Have you had communication about cancellations yet.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Whynd1 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 12:35
Gill

No notification that the voyage is cancelled or what the new itinerary is, only the little Cunard have posted on their site.

However, we know we can cancel with full refund ;) which we will do. We are waiting for them to inform us officially, so we have documentation and then can cancel the flights.

We’re going to forget a cruise for the time being and go to Cyprus!
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

GillD46 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 13:52
Gill

No notification that the voyage is cancelled or what the new itinerary is, only the little Cunard have posted on their site.

However, we know we can cancel with full refund ;) which we will do. We are waiting for them to inform us officially, so we have documentation and then can cancel the flights.

That is very good news .. :thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Manoverboard wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 14:27
GillD46 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 13:52
Gill

That is very good news .. :thumbup:
I have every sympathy with Cunard - and all the other cruise lines similarly affected - but it’s taking them forever just to contact us and tell us Hong Kong is cancelled because the cruise terminals are closed, and what the substitute is!
Gill

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Hope all goes well in the end Gill.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Whynd1 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 18:25
Hope all goes well in the end Gill.
Thanks Lindsey.
Gill

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

For the British passengers on the Diamond Princess, it looks like the ordeal is coming to an end, I think it's only British crew members left. Just the 14 days on the Wirral and hopefully they will be able to get on with their lives.
Unfortunately there are four British Nationals in hospital.
Here's hoping for a good outcome for them, especially David and Sally Able who have now developed Pneumonia. I am sure we all wish them a speedy recovery.
Don't worry, be happy

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Right, we've finally chickened out and swapped our inside cabin on Azura for a standard balcony. Luckily, because we booked when the cruise was first released we have only had to pay an extra £300 each. Plus our OBC has doubled so that eases the financial cost. We have never had a balcony before because we spend very little time in the cabin as we prefer to be out and about and the lower cost of an inside cabin means that we can cruise more regularly. However, we will sit out on the balcony for at least 1 hour every morning and 1 hour every evening even if it is rain, hail, snow or thunder and lightning just to justify the extra cost. :lol: :lol:

Just got to hope the dreaded smell doesn't reach port side midships on A deck.

Maureen.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Kenmo1 wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 11:45
Right, we've finally chickened out and swapped our inside cabin on Azura for a standard balcony. Luckily, because we booked when the cruise was first released we have only had to pay an extra £300 each. Plus our OBC has doubled so that eases the financial cost. We have never had a balcony before because we spend very little time in the cabin as we prefer to be out and about and the lower cost of an inside cabin means that we can cruise more regularly. However, we will sit out on the balcony for at least 1 hour every morning and 1 hour every evening even if it is rain, hail, snow or thunder and lightning just to justify the extra cost. :lol: :lol:

Just got to hope the dreaded smell doesn't reach port side midships on A deck.

Maureen.
Hi Maureen,

It'll be worth every penny cos you'll see cruising from a different perspective.....and don't worry about the smells.... Stephen is on the starboard side :thumbup: :lol:

:wave:

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I usually have an inside especially with paying the single supplement. However last September went to the Baltic and had a balcony cabin sharing with a good friend. We got on extremely well and have booked the same cabin for a 19 night cruise to Venice next August.
I dis enjoy the light in the cabin and the balcony. I found that I used the ship in a different way.
With an inside you spend less time in the cabin and this if you are a solo passenger is a good thing as you mix more.
So Aurora to Iberia at Easter in an inside cabin.

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

Ray B wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 09:13
It would be nice to hear about someone actually recovered from the Corona Virus, maybe it's to early or that it's not news worthy. I think that there are lots who have, their experience would help to show how bad you get, say, compared to the flu.

No real life stories but interesting stats on recovery

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

JoanneB wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 15:06
Ray B wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 09:13
It would be nice to hear about someone actually recovered from the Corona Virus, maybe it's to early or that it's not news worthy. I think that there are lots who have, their experience would help to show how bad you get, say, compared to the flu.

No real life stories but interesting stats on recovery

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
Thanks for that, Joanne.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Four of the cruise ship passengers brought back to UK have tested positive.

Italy impose travel restrictions.

l feel sorry for all of you who have upcoming cruises......If l were in your shoes l would consider canceling for sure.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Onelife wrote: 23 Feb 2020, 16:44

l feel sorry for all of you who have upcoming cruises......If l were in your shoes l would consider canceling for sure.
Appreciate your sympathy, Onelife, but it's not, perhaps, quite straightforward.

We are booked on J003 at the end of April, supposedly calling at Genoa (50 miles from biggest concentration of the virus in Italy) as well as other Italian ports. Paid the balance of the cost a month ago, so we are out about £5k. with two months to go and a number of things could happen.

1. P&O could just say it's O.K., we are sailing anyway
2. They could change the itinerary and miss out the ports with the greatest percieved risk.
3. They could cancel.

Still lots of time for the outbreak to improve or, indeed, to worsen and I suspect P&O will not commit either way for some time yet.

If they cancel then our decision is made for us. If not, then we have to decide whether or not to take whatever risk exists and go anyway or whether to play it safe, write off the £5k and stay at home. Home is an island in the Irish Sea with, hopefully a lesser risk of the virus reaching us than some places.

So, we're in a bit of a quandry right now with, we think, little option but to wait and see - unless someone knows otherwise...........!

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Fortunately our Far East voyage was cancelled so we didn’t have to lose out.we were due to meet up with our son, who lives in KL, but we’ll just have to wait until he comes home in July to see him!
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We have paid the final balance for our April Canaries cruise, not really concerned at present, if things change we will see what P&O propose and then make our decision, but unless things get significantly worse I imagine we will go, if P&O do not cancel.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

kaymar wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 14:50

Appreciate your sympathy, Onelife, but it's not, perhaps, quite straightforward.

We are booked on J003 at the end of April, supposedly calling at Genoa (50 miles from biggest concentration of the virus in Italy) as well as other Italian ports. Paid the balance of the cost a month ago, so we are out about £5k. with two months to go and a number of things could happen.

1. P&O could just say it's O.K., we are sailing anyway
2. They could change the itinerary and miss out the ports with the greatest percieved risk.
3. They could cancel.

Still lots of time for the outbreak to improve or, indeed, to worsen and I suspect P&O will not commit either way for some time yet.

If they cancel then our decision is made for us. If not, then we have to decide whether or not to take whatever risk exists and go anyway or whether to play it safe, write off the £5k and stay at home. Home is an island in the Irish Sea with, hopefully a lesser risk of the virus reaching us than some places.

So, we're in a bit of a quandry right now with, we think, little option but to wait and see - unless someone knows otherwise...........!
Hi Kaymar,

Should the situation worsen one can only hope the decision is taken out of your hands.... £5k would be an awful amount of money to lose if you were to have to make that decision yourself

Should things worsen l hope cruise ships sailing out of the UK will only be allowed to do so under Government guidance and not by those who's profit margins could influence that decision.

Regards

keith

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

If things continue to worsen in Italy, Venice mayor, Luigi Brugnaro may see his dream come true. There may be no cruise ship passengers to be seen, no tourists flying in or coming from the main land. He will be able to stroll the streets of Venice to his hearts content, stopping now and then to ponder with the shop keepers and resturaunts all wondering when where the next Euro is coming from. But hay, no crowds, no tourists this is Venice in all its beautiful self.
Don't worry, be happy

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

Celebrity have already reacted to the Italian outbreak

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert

“Until further notice, all ships in the Royal Caribbean
Cruises Ltd. fleet will adopt these health screening protocols:
1. Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to:
Any guest who has travelled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, and the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto in the past 15 days.
Any guest who has come in contact with anyone with 15-day prior travel to mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, and the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.
Guests who report feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptoms.”

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I had to pay the full balance of my Easter cruise some weeks ago.
If I hadn't I think I may well be thinking of cancelling. We are off to Spain and Portugal,not Italy.
It's all quite worrying.
Daughter and son in law on a cycling holiday in Tenerife,she says the weather is wild out there. They were on the last flight out to land in Tenerife on Saturday.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

It has just been on the news that approx 1000 guests are now being quarantined in a hotel in Tenerife after one guest btested positive for the virus.
Will message my later to see how they are doing.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Oh gracious, this has really taken hold and spread.
Gill

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”