Cancelling a cruise

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Cancelling a cruise

Post by CaroleF »

I have just started looking at the cruise bookings John and I already had in place. There are two P&O cruises, Arcadia to the Fjords, 12 nights in July this year and again Arcadia 16 nights to the Canaries in March/April next year. However, we also had a booking with Saga on their Spirit of Discovery in May this year. So I decided to start by ringing Saga. As this was a booking that had been transferred from a previous cruise that didn't go the majority of the money had already been paid so just had about £1k left to pay. We had really hoped that the Saga ship would give us some of the things we enjoyed about P&O's smaller ships. We had splashed out and booked a suite so the amount of money paid was quite a bit.
Anyway I phoned Saga this morning and didn't have to wait long to get through to the right department.
The man who answered my call couldn't have been kinder. He expressed condolences - and I've found over telephone calls I've had to make to various companies, this doesn't always happen - and then said I could either cancel straight away or could have Saga hold the booking for up to 2 years without deciding on a specific cruise. As of now I don't know how I'm going to feel about cruising - assuming we get back to something like normal, I decided to say I'd cancel now. We did take out the Saga insurance which was offered when we booked and I was told they didn't need any certificates but just a letter confirming that I wanted to cancel and why. The agent told me he had started the process of cancellation and that I would get back all the money paid. The whole process couldn't have been easier. I haven't contacted P&O yet but is it possible they will react in the same way? I hope so.

Carole

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Re: Cancelling a cruise

Post by Stephen »

Well done Saga. The last thing you need Carole is any stress and agro from companies.

Let’s hope P&O are as compassionate. No reason why they shouldn’t be if they want to attract any future custom.

Stay positive Carole, and most importantly stay safe :thumbup:

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Difficult to say how P&O will respond at the moment.

From what I can recall in the past it has been a reference to their T&Cs and to claim off your travel insurance.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

There was an article in the money section of the Daily Telegraph recently about how some companies especially banks have actually reduced their bereavement teams during the pandemic.
So pleased Saga were so helpful to you Carol.

Lindsey

Manoverboard
Captain
Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

A thumbs up for Saga but I rather suspect their response was in part due to you having their Travel Insurance.
Keep laughing, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 13:57 A thumbs up for Saga but I rather suspect their response was in part due to you having their Travel Insurance.
I tend to agree with you Moby and, while I hope P&O will be sympathetic, I think they will suggest that Carole's first port of call should be her insurance company.
Last edited by towny44 on 11 Jan 2021, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Captain
Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 15:34
Manoverboard wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 13:57 A thumbs up for Saga but I rather suspect their response was in part due to you having their Travel Insurance.
I tend to agree with you Moby and, while I hope P&O will be sympathetic, I think they will suggest that Carole's first port of call should be her insurance company.
Let us hope that the Saga Policy covers the other cruises also ... I personally believe that P&O may offer the cabin booked for two as sole occupancy without extra cost at best.
Keep laughing, it's good for your well being

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”