Post by Stephen »

Welcome aboard the forum from me too macca1914 :thumbup:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Cruising post Covid-19

Post by Stephen »

macca1914 wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 11:01
We have a cruise booked for 11 July 2021 with P&O for my wife, myself my daughter and her friend. P&O have advised that shore excursions have to be taken with an organised operator, which has to be paid for. So that is expensive for a party of four, which we did not envisage as we were doing our own thing. Completely understandable to have precautions in place, but the added expense of tours for six port stops may be too much. I'm worried now we will lose our deposit as well.
That was among one of the main reasons we moved our July 2021 cruise to another for 2022. We don't mind the odd excursion if it really interests us but I'm blowed if I'm going to fork out every time just to be able to go ashore. And walking around on board continuously wearing a mask didn't appeal either. Whether things might change by July I don't know, but I doubt it very much.
Last edited by Stephen on 16 Jan 2021, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

macca1914
Cadet
Cadet

Post by macca1914 »

Stephen wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 11:38
We have a cruise booked for 11 July 2021 with P&O for my wife, myself my daughter and her friend. P&O have advised that shore excursions have to be taken with an organised operator, which has to be paid for. So that is expensive for a party of four, which we did not envisage as we were doing our own thing. Completely understandable to have precautions in place, but the added expense of tours for six port stops may be too much. I'm worried now we will lose our deposit as well.
That was among one of the main reasons we moved our July 2021 cruise to another for 2022. We don't mind the odd excursion if it really interests us but I'm blowed if I'm going to fork out every time just to be able to go ashore. And walking around on board continuously wearing a mask didn't appeal either. Whether things might change by July I don't know, but I doubt it very much.
Hi Stephen,
Yes I think we may leave it until next year. I'm slightly annoyed that they haven't put some sort of package together for all excursions though. I think you're right that we won't have moved on just yet.

macca1914
Cadet
Cadet

Post by macca1914 »

:
Manoverboard wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 11:17
Swap the cruise for one in 2022 and accept the Admin charge if requested is the way to go.

ps ... Hello and welcome :wave:
:thumbup:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

macca1914 wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 13:18
Stephen wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 11:38
Hi Stephen,
Yes I think we may leave it until next year. I'm slightly annoyed that they haven't put some sort of package together for all excursions though. I think you're right that we won't have moved on just yet.
We've flipped 2021 to 2022 already.
I want the traditional experience or nothing.
Empty vessels .. and all that

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

Having read the protocols that p and o have put in place, one of which is that you only dine with folk you are travelling with, I feel a bit sorry for those cruising alone. Unless I have misread it.
The pesky scarfaced pirate

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We won’t cruise until 2022 at the earliest. We have three booked for then, and who knows what measures will be in place, but we’ll transfer deposits if we feel it necessary. We have two holidays planned to Cyprus this year - if allowed. If not, BA will just hold the deposit for another time.
Gill

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

We are currently booked for September and I am really hoping it goes ahead. If not then we still have next years bookings.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Kendhni wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 18:14
We are currently booked for September and I am really hoping it goes ahead. If not then we still have next years bookings.
Same as us Ken, Booked our cruise for October last May time, thinking that in18 months things may be back to some kind of normality, little did we realize.
We have next year's booked for August so here's hoping.
Don't worry, be happy

macca1914
Cadet
Cadet

Post by macca1914 »

macca1914 wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 13:19
:
Manoverboard wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 11:17
Swap the cruise for one in 2022 and accept the Admin charge if requested is the way to go.

ps ... Hello and welcome :wave:
:thumbup:
Hiya, Yes we would do that but our holidays for next year are already booked. I think I may just have to take the hit on the deposit, although I think it's unfair somewhat. I'm not sure any cruise for 2021 will be the experience we want.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

macca1914 wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 12:11
I think I may just have to take the hit on the deposit
As things stand at the moment, and P&O could change them at any time, you can move your deposit as many times as you want without incurring any additional charges. So just move your deposit to any cruise next year with a view to moving it to something that you want the following year. You will be no worse off than cancelling and loosing your deposit.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I see Saga are making vaccination a condition of travel.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 19:48
It will only be a matter of time before all cruise lines and airlines make that a requirement. Although how that will work will be interesting. If, and it is a big if, travel starts up again this spring/early summer then there will be a large portion of the population that will not have been "invited" for the jab - so does that mean that they will be unable to travel as it is not possible to "queue jump"?

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Saga are a special case in that their main clientele are over 50 and most of these should vaccinated by April, with their second jab no later than July.
However as David says it will be well into Q4 before most travellers under 50 will have had their second jab. So not sure any of these could travel abroad this year if all airlines and tour companies try to follow this path, and would it be legal I wonder?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

towny44 wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 23:04
Saga are a special case in that their main clientele are over 50 and most of these should vaccinated by April, with their second jab no later than July.
However as David says it will be well into Q4 before most travellers under 50 will have had their second jab. So not sure any of these could travel abroad this year if all airlines and tour companies try to follow this path, and would it be legal I wonder?
Yes that was pretty much my thought too. But it is nonetheless the first example I've seen of companies saying you can take a risk but we won't.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I think this could be the first of many in the cruise industry.
I don’t mind personally.
No jab, no holiday seems reasonable.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I don’t know about reasonable, it should be a requirement across all travel outside country of origin.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

barney wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 17:30
No jab, no holiday seems reasonable.
Nothing different to what happens now - you have to have certain jabs to go to certain countries.

There is another side to this and that is "Will you go to a country that has not jabbed a large percentage of its population"?

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

It makes sense that COVID jabs will be a requirement of international travel to protect both ourselves and those in the countries we visit. We do it for other reasons as well (e.g. yellow fever).
It depends on how quickly we can get through the vaccines as to how much scope there will be for the under 50's to get their jabs and allow them to holiday this year. Sadly many may not be able to get away again this year.

I also wonder if that will affect how insurance companies price up their policies?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 08:29
Sadly many may not be able to get away again this year.
And sadly it will not stop many going away that shouldn't!

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I have no desire to cruise on my own and have to sit at a table on my own too! Until I feel it's safe to travel abroad and until cruising returns to what we were used to I won't be going anywhere outside the UK. Maybe it's my age but I can't understand the rush some people have to travel abroad. The thought of being taken ill in a foreign country is enough to deter me from overseas travel of any sort.

Carole

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

CaroleF wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 09:31
I have no desire to cruise on my own and have to sit at a table on my own too! Until I feel it's safe to travel abroad and until cruising returns to what we were used to I won't be going anywhere outside the UK. Maybe it's my age but I can't understand the rush some people have to travel abroad. The thought of being taken ill in a foreign country is enough to deter me from overseas travel of any sort.

Carole

Same here Carole. We are quite happy to holiday in this country as and when restrictions permit.
Last edited by Stephen on 22 Jan 2021, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I would be happy to holiday in this country if we could guarantee mediterranean weather. But we both agree that enjoying Med sun on our balcony even if we could not go ashore in ports on our own, is probably a more enjoyable holiday than dodging the showers in the UK.
John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 11:28
I would be happy to holiday in this country if we could guarantee mediterranean weather. But we both agree that enjoying Med sun on our balcony even if we could not go ashore in ports on our own, is probably a more enjoyable holiday than dodging the showers in the UK.
Just go for a few days at the time .... seemples :angel:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 12:37
towny44 wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 11:28
Just go for a few days at the time .... seemples :angel:
But what if the dates we choose are all wet ones?
John

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”