Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
brillo
Cadet
Cadet

The Problem with Captains

Post by brillo »

I have just returned from a cruise to the Med on Azura, Captain Robert Camby,

I do not normally I have no problems with the crew but I feel that I have to make a few comments about Mr Camby,

1/ Too Young,
2/ Too Nice,
3/ Too Good Looking,
4/ Too Good at his job,
5/ He is not Charlie Carr

Just thought I would get that off my chest

Forgot to say my wife is now in love with him !!!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: The Problem with Captains

Post by Stephen »

You just can't get decent staff these days :)

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

He certainly knows how to play the crowd, brillo

He also did a memorable 11/11 service on one of our cruises
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Too young you say, has he started shaving yet ?

:lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

Is he the one who looks rather like the England cricket captain, Alastair Cook?

Topic author
brillo
Cadet
Cadet

Post by brillo »

I rather thought that he went for the WW 2 U boat Captain look !!!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Should've gone to Specsavers. For a minute I thought it said 'WW2 U boat Captain hook'!!!

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Well we've had cook, look and hook... I dread to think what's coming next.... :oops: :lol:

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Well can't say Captain Camby "floated my boat" so to speak :lol: I thought he was a bit full of himself - "I'm the youngest captain blah di blah" and Alastair Cook is far better looking ;)
Janis

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

.....but not as good looking as me Jan.....isn't that right Jo? :lol:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

....which reminds me why haven't l been made a captain yet?!!

Btw...where is our leader David?

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Onelife wrote:
.....but not as good looking as me Jan.....isn't that right Jo? :lol:
Certainly is Keefy :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jo

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Thanks Jo.....l could have ended up looking like a horses backside if you hadn't seen the better half of me :thumbup: :lol:

Regards

Keefy :wave: x

whycantibecruising
Cadet
Cadet

Post by whycantibecruising »

My vote would always be for Neil Turnbull.
Mr Camby looks a little young...

gravy1955
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by gravy1955 »

I never really think about or care who the captain is, as long as he/she can steer the ship in the right direction, is able to keep it afloat and upright and isn't called Schettino!

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

gravy1955 wrote:
I never really think about or care who the captain is, as long as he/she can steer the ship in the right direction, is able to keep it afloat and upright and isn't called Schettino!
I only ever cared about the captain steering the ship properly until our last cruise. Captain Angelo Vago was exceptional, he seemed to really care about all the passengers, the crew loved him. He was an extremely competent captain, very funny, charismatic, charming, with a lovely Italian accent. I'm sure Brillo's wife would love him too. ;)

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Captain Vago - the ladies' favourite? Indeed he is very amusing, plays to his Italian nationality and seems very relaxed with crew and passengers alike. But most of all we had a safe and enjoyable cruise onboard his ship.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I agree with what you say about Captain Vago - his announcements each day were always amusing and at the end of each broadcast he would sign off with "Thank you Captain!" He learnt that a couple on our table were celebrating their Golden Wedding Anniversary and he invited the whole table to go up to the Bridge - we were up there for about an hour. We got the impression he really enjoys both his job and talking to people, not all Captains are good at both - but I agree the most important thing about any Captain is that he is good at his job.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I also liked Captain Vago. He was the Captain on Oceana about two years ago. We thought he was excellent. He was also highly thought of by the crew.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Captain Vago was our captain on Oceana in 2011 when there was a complete electrical failure on the ship in Bergen.

He kept us up to date with progress on a regular basis, immediately announced we'd all get £40pp OBC for the inconvenience, and we had free drinks that evening, after the repairs had been done. I think a lot of that was down to him, as the £40 OBC was an immediate announcement, I'm not sure if there was time to clear it with Head Office.

He was also very visible that evening, making sure all the passengers were happy
Gill

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

CaroleF wrote:
I agree with what you say about Captain Vago - his announcements each day were always amusing and at the end of each broadcast he would sign off with "Thank you Captain!" He learnt that a couple on our table were celebrating their Golden Wedding Anniversary and he invited the whole table to go up to the Bridge - we were up there for about an hour. We got the impression he really enjoys both his job and talking to people, not all Captains are good at both - but I agree the most important thing about any Captain is that he is good at his job.
He was most concerned about our son too and told my husband he really wanted to do something for him. He invited us up to the bridge too. He was so patient and caring with our son and took ages showing him how everything worked, even taking his hand and making him feel things that he thought my son couldn't make out. Yes he gets my vote for the best captain with P&O. :thumbup:

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

emjay45 wrote:
CaroleF wrote:
He was most concerned about our son too and told my husband he really wanted to do something for him. He invited us up to the bridge too. He was so patient and caring with our son and took ages showing him how everything worked, even taking his hand and making him feel things that he thought my son couldn't make out. Yes he gets my vote for the best captain with P&O. :thumbup:
When we were on Aurora with OBF he was just the same; "Thank you Captain." So glad he made a fuss of your son Emjay45. Captain Turnbull is very nice as well, and David Box, and Sarah Breton.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Actually Frank we were invited to the bridge on our 2013 World cruise. Captain Turnbull was the captain then. We were taken up there by our butler who we feel had organised it. There were 2 very junior officers who were very nice but didn’t get off their backsides once to show us around and Captain Turnbull didn’t bother to even come and say hello. So quite frankly I don’t rate him and he really bears no comparison to Captain Vego, not for me anyhow.

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

emjay45 wrote:
Actually Frank we were invited to the bridge on our 2013 World cruise. Captain Turnbull was the captain then. We were taken up there by our butler who we feel had organised it. There were 2 very junior officers who were very nice but didn’t get off their backsides once to show us around and Captain Turnbull didn’t bother to even come and say hello. So quite frankly I don’t rate him and he really bears no comparison to Captain Vego, not for me anyhow.
Hmm! I suppose it is all about empathy. Some have it and some don't, and that applies throughout humanity. Sometimes it is one of the gifts which you gain through personal troubles and experiences. Reflective learning. Some are lucky and skate through life, others learn from their problems, and however hard they have been, they become more rounded people as a result. Others will never learn from anything because they are totally self obsessed.

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by JillD66 »

I was most impressed with Captain Box on the Adonia earlier this year. I know its a small (extremely friendly and hopefully returning soon to the UK!) ship, but most mornings he was in the Conservatory for breakfast - joining with passengers.

He was always highly visible round the ship and kept us informed.

Cant wait to see Captains Camby and Vago though!

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”