Ship Visit Query

Topics that are specific to cruising

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Ship Visit Query

Post by wolfie »

Maybe that was when you cruised with them, BUT, in over a year at sea, 15 + cruises with P&O I spoke from our experience of them over the last 14 years. We also like tradition but not just for the sake of it and especially when it is over trumpeted as being top notch cruising, which it is most definitely not, any more.

As I said, past glories.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

wolfie wrote:
especially when it is over trumpeted as being top notch cruising,
Not sure where this much bandied phrase has come from except those who decry traditional cruise lines. I'm not even sure what is meant by 'top notch cruising'.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I wasn't questioning your experience I stated 'once was the time' which was way before Carnival owned P&O so in 14 years you have probably not seen as many changes as I have, it has nothing to do with past glories I merely have a preference for what cruising used to be rather than what it is now, each to their own as they say.
Jo

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

oldbluefox wrote:
wolfie wrote:
Not sure where this much bandied phrase has come from except those who decry traditional cruise lines. I'm not even sure what is meant by 'top notch cruising'.
Possibly the image given by some advertising and maybe films, where it's formal attire 24/7 and if you stick your finger out, a liveried steward puts a cup of tea on the end of it?
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I'm pressing my blazer and flannels and steaming my straw boater as we speak !

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

oldbluefox wrote:
wolfie wrote:
We don't decry traditional cruising but some lines are living in the past, and, as I said, also living on past glories when there was no competition from far superior lines.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
wolfie wrote:
Possibly the image given by some advertising and maybe films, where it's formal attire 24/7 and if you stick your finger out, a liveried steward puts a cup of tea on the end of it?
Exactly! :)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

wolfie wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
wolfie wrote:
We don't decry traditional cruising but some lines are living in the past, and, as I said, also living on past glories when there was no competition from far superior lines.
I presume you intended to add "in my opinion".

In my opinion, I'm not aware of any "far superior lines" other than at far higher prices. The main stream lines working in a similar price bracket offer different styles of cruising which suit different people's preferences but, in my opinion, none can be described as far superior to any other.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
wolfie wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
wolfie wrote:

In my opinion, I'm not aware of any "far superior lines" other than at far higher prices. The main stream lines working in a similar price bracket offer different styles of cruising which suit different people's preferences but, in my opinion, none can be described as far superior to any other.
Depends how you define far superior, if you take into account quality of the accommodation, service standards and quality and presentation of food, then I can think of two that are "far superior" to P&O, but then you will disagree with me on at least one of them. ;)
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Dancing Queen wrote:
I wasn't questioning your experience I stated 'once was the time' which was way before Carnival owned P&O so in 14 years you have probably not seen as many changes as I have, it has nothing to do with past glories I merely have a preference for what cruising used to be rather than what it is now, each to their own as they say.
But, you don't cruise with them now, do you?

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
wolfie wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
wolfie wrote:

No, I did not intend to add, IMO, to my post.

I would describe P&O as mainstream/traditional and Celebrity as superior. Yes, it's at a higher price, BUT, you get what you pay for. I just wish that Celebrity from the UK would vary their itineraries. There is now much more competition with cruises from the UK with other cruise lines, and, P&O are not up there with the competition in many ways, whether it be more upmarket in the form of Celebrity or on the same, or a lower level, with other lines and what they offer.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

wolfie wrote:
I would describe P&O as mainstream/traditional and Celebrity as superior.Yes, it's at a higher price, BUT, you get what you pay for. I just wish that Celebrity from the UK would vary their itineraries. There is now much more competition with cruises from the UK with other cruise lines, and, P&O are not up there with the competition in many ways, whether it be more upmarket in the form of Celebrity or on the same, or a lower level, with other lines and what they offer.
We don't find Celebrity higher priced, at least not for early bookings, but I agree that P&O saver fares are generally well below the comparable Celebrity fares, however this in my view is because P&O have to offer keener prices to fill their ships, again because their product is seen to be weaker than Celebrity's.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

wolfie wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
wolfie wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:

No, I did not intend to add, IMO, to my post.

I would describe P&O as mainstream/traditional and Celebrity as superior. Yes, it's at a higher price, BUT, you get what you pay for. I just wish that Celebrity from the UK would vary their itineraries. There is now much more competition with cruises from the UK with other cruise lines, and, P&O are not up there with the competition in many ways, whether it be more upmarket in the form of Celebrity or on the same, or a lower level, with other lines and what they offer.
Which is why you really should add IMO, because many including with us would disagree with you. I won't go over all the details again but our experience of Calamity was atrocious. Worst service we've ever had on any cruise line. Yes Calamity have plenty of fans. But their view is neither universal nor takes precedence over other opinions.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”