PO tips increase

Topics that are specific to cruising

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: PO tips increase

Post by oldbluefox »

We, that's P&O sorted!! Who should we sort out now.......................................
Tbh I cannot understand why they don't just include tips.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

And by doing it that way, it could work out at far less than £6pp on the cruise price to bring in the same amount when you take into account the numerous tightwads who pay little or nothing

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I'd also like to see it added into the price and then forgotten about altogether.
All P&O would need to say is 'gratuities now included'
Simple as that.
Only smoking on balconies causes more controversy.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

barney wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 14:54
I'd also like to see it added into the price and then forgotten about altogether.
All P&O would need to say is 'gratuities now included'
Simple as that.
Only smoking on balconies causes more controversy.
Especially if the offenders were non / sub tippers :shh:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Oh dear,it's all getting very messy. Think we should bombard P&O with e-mails suggesting inclusive tips.Nay, demanding an end to the present system.
Last edited by screwy on 14 Sep 2017, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
Mel

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Agree screwy.

Tell'm to do away with non obligatory gratuities. And if the staff don't want to do the industry 'service' job they're employed and paid to do under the misapprehension that the already paying customer will make up they're salary, then they'll be sent back down the mines to do 50 hour shifts. :D

Oh, and can I have some more ice in that please waiter.........from the ice hotel if you would be so kind ;)

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

I am led to believe that my car insurance has increased due to the number of uninsured drivers on the road. If the number of non tippers increases will auto gratuities increase? I can't see a way that freedom dining can work without an auto system.
We just leave the auto gratuities on but you do feel a little mean when you say your farewells to your waiters & steward. I noticed on our last cruise (disembarked last week) that piles of envelopes were apparent at the reception desk. In the past I think you had to ask for them. I guess this suggests that more people are taking off the auto tips & tipping face to face.

bucket lister64
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by bucket lister64 »

Stephen wrote: 15 Mar 2017, 07:17
Manoverboard wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 18:08
£336 for 4 is not at all excessive, sorry about that, but if it is then either don't take the kids on a cruise else take a holiday in a Welsh cottage like wot we did.

P&O staff will have to work hard for the mess all four of you make surely, so they therefore deserve the tip from the four of you regardless of the final total.

Out of interest Celebrity would charge up to three times that amount on their cruises.
Moby my old friend, that is the job they signed up for and what they are paid to do. If you don't like guns and bullets then don't join the army. And if prices increase to include tipping charges then that is still at my discretion whether I book or not. Cruising isn't the be all and end all of holidaying.

i did query the service reward scheme while booking, as i thought additional tips were also expected as this is our first cruise, and trying to budget for spending while there. i didnt want the embarrasment of not taking enough money. The advisor said she was a manager and that if i wasnt happy with this way of tipping, i could mention it on arrival at reception and they could remove or change the figure to what i thought was affordable. i then read to her the remainder of the post i read which said that in the stewards room he had a clip board with the peoples names on that had the charge removed. i asked was this true twice during the call and both times she went on to telling me how hard they worked, that they relied on these tips to boost their salary and so on but neither time was this denied just repeated the info on removing the charge.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

bucket lister64 wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 10:55
Stephen wrote: 15 Mar 2017, 07:17
Manoverboard wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 18:08
£336 for 4 is not at all excessive, sorry about that, but if it is then either don't take the kids on a cruise else take a holiday in a Welsh cottage like wot we did.

P&O staff will have to work hard for the mess all four of you make surely, so they therefore deserve the tip from the four of you regardless of the final total.

Out of interest Celebrity would charge up to three times that amount on their cruises.
Moby my old friend, that is the job they signed up for and what they are paid to do. If you don't like guns and bullets then don't join the army. And if prices increase to include tipping charges then that is still at my discretion whether I book or not. Cruising isn't the be all and end all of holidaying.

i did query the service reward scheme while booking, as i thought additional tips were also expected as this is our first cruise, and trying to budget for spending while there. i didnt want the embarrasment of not taking enough money. The advisor said she was a manager and that if i wasnt happy with this way of tipping, i could mention it on arrival at reception and they could remove or change the figure to what i thought was affordable. i then read to her the remainder of the post i read which said that in the stewards room he had a clip board with the peoples names on that had the charge removed. i asked was this true twice during the call and both times she went on to telling me how hard they worked, that they relied on these tips to boost their salary and so on but neither time was this denied just repeated the info on removing the charge.
It is impossible to expect a Manager who is shore based to have any idea what happens on the ships regarding ' working practices '. The custom of listing can only be true for that moment in time on that ship when a passenger sees it for them selves.

The only other alleged evidence that I am aware of was contained in a Kindle book entitled " Cruise Confidential " - ish which was written by an American chap who signed up as crew on one of the American Cruise Lines.

As for your good self you now know that auto-tips will be applied but that you can, if you so wish, pop down to reception and have them removed. All tipping with P&O is anticipated but not compulsory ... enjoy your cruise and don't worry about it but perhaps at a later date when finances permit you could let the tips stand if you think the service provided deserves it.

ps ... hello and welcome :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”