Royal Caribbean booking a future cruise

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Royal Caribbean booking a future cruise

Post by Kendhni »

Reading the story about P&O Future cruise deposits reminded of the issue we had with Royal Caribbean.

We did a Med fly/cruise last year and the intention was to do something similar this year. We waited until the 'Free flights' offer came on and priced it with out local TA - approx £730pp. However, in my wisdom I said to Julie to wait until we were onboard and we could maybe get an additional onboard credit.

So on the cruise we went to the future cruise booking desk and asked for a price for the same fly/cruise with the full intention of purchasing it there-and-then. Th RCI price was almost £1300pp. I explained that their price was very high and showed him a copy of the quote from our local TA thinking he may match - he just shrugged his shoulders and said 'I suggest you buy it off them then' (not so much as a 'let me see what I can do').

Sadly by the time we got home the offer had ended. I did complain directly to RCI but they couldn't even be bothered to reply. Suffice to say our cruise this year is not with Royal Caribbean ... it appears yet again I am having trouble giving money to some companies.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Royal Caribbean booking a future cruise

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 13:09
it appears yet again I am having trouble giving money to some companies.
Not quite - they appear to want more than you are prepared to give them :crazy: :crazy:

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

david63 wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 14:02
Kendhni wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 13:09
it appears yet again I am having trouble giving money to some companies.
Not quite - they appear to want more than you are prepared to give them :crazy: :crazy:
Damned right I wasn't going to pay them £1300 when their agents (after adding on their commission) could do exactly the same trip for £730. It makes me wonder how many people fall for the future cruise deposit without actually knowing the price - basically selling out for £50 when the price has been loaded by £100's.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I think that's why the old P&O future cruise deposit scheme worked for me because you could commit to a future trip with them without being specific about the details and could do your research and planning once home. I'm afraid I wouldn't pay for something specific without being able to weigh it up fully. Too easy to get carried away.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I am with you there Merv, the FCD's were easy to order and could be done by filling in the form rather than waiting to see a future cruise consultant, and then allowed you to choose when to make a booking after doing your research at home. I don't understand why P&O have dropped them, I would have preferred that they gave you 2 years before they expired, in which case I would have made far more use of them.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We've never had a good experience when talking to the Future Cruise Consultant on board. Firstly, she didn't seem that interested, always off-putting; then when we started discussing the different cabins available she told us we couldn't book a specific cabin, only the grade. This was quite a long way in advance of the actual cruise, can't remember how long. So we said we wouldn't bother. When we got home I phoned Bolsover, chose which cabin we wanted, got the usual discount from Bolsover, a good amount of OBC and we were happy. Not sure we'd bother again to talk to the Future Cruise Consultant.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”