False information given on some websites

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

False information given on some websites

Post by CaroleF »

Well after the comment about not enough topics on cruising here's my thought - I have been amazed, no probably the wrong word, anyway I keep reading questions about P&O on sites like Facebook and Cruise.co.uk where people are giving completely the wrong answers. I read one the other day on, I think it was Facebook, where someone asked about the dress code - always guaranteed to raise the hackles - and said they were on Freedom Dining. The questioner wanted to know if what they 'could get away with'. The answer I saw told them that as they were on Freedom Dining they didn't have to dress up on a formal evening. Amongst the other replies one person did say correctly that if they didn't dress formally they would have to eat in the buffet or possibly one of the Select Dining restaurants. However, there were a lot of answers saying - it's your holiday, dress how you want.

I'm not trying to start another Dress Code argument, sorry, discussion, but this is just an illustration of what I mean. I realise there's little we can do about these incorrect answers, other than give a correct one - I don't contribute to Facebook, just read it. What does surprise me is that people take to Facebook rather than go to the cruise line's own website where they will find the answers.

CC is a much better site in that the people who tend to answer the queries do, in general, seem to know what they are talking about. I have been looking on the Fred Olsen forum on CC where there is not a lot of contributions but I wanted to ask about theme evenings. Apparently there is a British Evening which some people dress up for but others don't like. I remember our first cruise - on Fred Olsen - and I read everything I could lay my hands on, before we booked. Our first cruise with P&O was on the old Adonia (Sea Princess now) and not only was I able to read the P&O forum but I discovered that the ship was the same as the other Princess ships, Dawn and Sun Princess. So I read those forums too which were very useful in so far as the cabin we had booked - even found a Virtual Tour of our cabin. Maybe people don't enjoy doing the amount of research I do.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: False information given on some websites

Post by david63 »

You won't stand much chance of getting correct information from P&O's Facebook site as their own staff don't know the "rules" and contradict P&O's own documentation. Add to that, the nature of FB where there are many who do not/cannot be bothered to read the available information and would much rather make up their own interpretation of what is right and then become indignant when they are "pulled up" about their behaviour and start another FB rant.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I think this is an online modern day life thing, rather than just a cruising thing.

I've become involved with a matter on another forum (not cruising related), where people routinely post misleading and plain wrong information. Myself and some others try and post the correct info, but often people don't want to know true information. They are more happy with their misconceptions and think that being given correct information is trolling!

I went on my first cruise in 2001 and at that time there wasn't so much online content. I was able to get all the information I wanted from the P&O brochure. I think, for the new cruiser these days it must be very confusing, with multiple sources of information, and people telling them different things. Even after all that, I think these days people are more likely to disregard what they are told, and feel they can do their own thing, regardless of any guidelines and etiquette
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

You also find that some posters will ask the same question on various boards in the forum, which leaves you wondering if they are just trolling, or trying to find how many different answers they can get.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

It's a sign of the times, unfortunately.

Due to forums, everyone seem to be an expert in pretty much everything. ;)

Opinions are fine, but some try to dress up opinion as fact.

I work as a professional will writer and some of the 'advice' that I have read is downright illegal, but that doesn't seem to stop some folk, who think that they know better.
I know what Gill W means about being accused of trolling because I've had know all's try and start a row when they have been 100% incorrect

Forums like this are invaluable for anyone cruising to ask for genuine advice.

I've saved a small fortune over the years with top tips from expert cruisers on here.

Long may it continue :clap:
Empty vessels .. and all that

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

barney wrote: 03 Jul 2017, 16:15

I've saved a small fortune over the years with top tips from expert cruisers on here.
Have you declared that in your returns to the mods, bruvver? Don't let Smurfy know though. :thumbup: :wave:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 03 Jul 2017, 16:03
You also find that some posters will ask the same question on various boards in the forum, which leaves you wondering if they are just trolling, or trying to find how many different answers they can get.
....until they get one they like the sound of.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 03 Jul 2017, 17:00
towny44 wrote: 03 Jul 2017, 16:03
....until they get one they like the sound of.
Now that sounds more like the EU, does Jean-Claude frequent cruising forums?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Forums, probably, but I doubt they're cruising ones
Last edited by Stephen on 03 Jul 2017, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I find a lot of Facecloth users are just looking for a row. Some of the responses when the Red Cross launched an appeal for Grenfell Tower survivors were appalling

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Is it not a fact that Facebook has been "trolled" by serious out-rages - so buyer beware
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

before our first cruise in '97 we knew the brochure off by heart!
Meg
x

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

Have you ever seen a more useless review forum as feefo which seems to be P & O preferred listing. The majority of contributions do not even refer to which cruise or ship they are reviewing. Apart from that, they keep repeating the same reviews.

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Remember John the Dog ?

Have had a friendly chat with him on FB
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Unfortunately social media sites and forums by their very nature attract a wide variety of people including the control freaks, those who set out to troll or to create disharmony by being deliberately controversial, the misguided, those promoting their own ego trip or those, as Carole says, who pass on false information.
Sandwiched in between all of these 'characters' are those who have a genuine interest, who are experienced and knowledgeable, and can pass on a truthful answer. Usually you have to sift through the chaff to get to the wheat.
What perplexes me is the reverential awe some of these 'characters' attract when it is clear their sole involvement is to be controversial for controversy's sake. I suppose some people just enjoy a good argument and can boost 'viewing figures'.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

A prime example of misinformation is when someone asked on FB recently what were the duty free allowances when going to the Canaries.
This was the reply ...

'We have just come back and you can bring back 800 duty free or 1000g tobacco and 1 litre of spirits. we checked with the ship shop when buying however we did stop in portugal'

Not sure what Portugal has to do with anything ???
Jo

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Ah yes I remember the Portuguese colonial days in the Canaries!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Dancing Queen wrote: 04 Jul 2017, 14:10
A prime example of misinformation is when someone asked on FB recently what were the duty free allowances when going to the Canaries.
This was the reply ...

'We have just come back and you can bring back 800 duty free or 1000g tobacco and 1 litre of spirits. we checked with the ship shop when buying however we did stop in portugal'

Not sure what Portugal has to do with anything ???
She was suggesting that she could have purchased said items in Madeira or Lisbon ... perhaps ;)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Possibly MoB but as the question was about duty free allowances bought in the Canaries probably not + duty paid in Portugal or Maderia you are not limited to 1 ltr of spirits, there will of course be people who take it as read ( because they want to ) that this information is correct ha ha let's hope the customs people are understanding if/when they are stopped at disembarkation :lolno:
Jo

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I'm sure they will escape paying duty if they just tell the Custom's Officer that they saw it on Facecloth !!

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

qbman1 wrote: 04 Jul 2017, 16:16
I'm sure they will escape paying duty if they just tell the Custom's Officer that they saw it on Facecloth !!
Of course as we all know Facecloth can't be wrong :lol: :lol:
Jo

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

oldbluefox wrote: 04 Jul 2017, 08:55
Unfortunately social media sites and forums by their very nature attract a wide variety of people including the control freaks, those who set out to troll or to create disharmony by being deliberately controversial, the misguided, those promoting their own ego trip or those, as Carole says, who pass on false information.
Sandwiched in between all of these 'characters' are those who have a genuine interest, who are experienced and knowledgeable, and can pass on a truthful answer. Usually you have to sift through the chaff to get to the wheat.
What perplexes me is the reverential awe some of these 'characters' attract when it is clear their sole involvement is to be controversial for controversy's sake. I suppose some people just enjoy a good argument and can boost 'viewing figures'.
Also the delusional.

Delusional disorder, previously called paranoid disorder, is a type of serious mental illness called a "psychosis" in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined. The main feature of this disorder is the presence of delusions, unshakable beliefs in something untrue or not based on reality.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Do you mean politicians, wolfie?

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

I think we just may be on the same wavelength?

Read back what I highlighted. Nowt to do with politicians.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I was being facetious, wolfie. I knew exactly what you meant. :roll:

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”