Viking Cruises (sea Cruises) query

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Viking Cruises (sea Cruises) query

Post by Boris+ »

Anybody out there tried Viking? Looking at alternative cruise lines for us - and hoping for some helpful answers.

Thanks

DiegoMer
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Viking Cruises (sea Cruises) query

Post by DiegoMer »

I'd like to hear some viking reviews too.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We've had a look Em and it all looks pretty impressive.
Unfortunately a bit rich for my blood.
Maybe one day when the numbers come up. :D
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We have cruised with them, they deffo have the edge compared to the opposition but it comes at a price.

One example from us .... viewtopic.php?f=99&t=2047

There are a few others within the ' Riverboat ' Forum, as per ...

viewforum.php?f=99

:thumbup:
Last edited by Manoverboard on 06 Jul 2017, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hmm, interesting - thanks.

I'd like to do a river cruise, but himself wants to stick with sea cruises.

louiepreacher1
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: RE: Viking Cruises (sea Cruises) query

Post by louiepreacher1 »

Boris+ wrote:
Anybody out there tried Viking? Looking at alternative cruise lines for us - and hoping for some helpful answers.

Thanks
My wife and I took the Viking Grand European Riverboat Cruise last June. The cruise was 19 days long. We will NEVER do it again nor will we use Viking. There wasn't even a chair in our tiny cabin.

From the time we booked the cruise Viking changed the dates, riverboats and directions 4 times, the last change was after we had paid in full.

In addition to the above half way through we had to pack and change riverboat again because of high water levels on the river.

Lou E

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The problems listed above are certainly real enough but the way to avoid the majority of them is to book one of the higher grade cabins but most importantly to consider carefully the wisdom of booking the early and late periods as the water levels on all rivers can be unpredictable, as stated in their brochure of course.

ps .... Hello and welcome :wave: .

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

You can blame them for the rest but not for the river levels.

We did a river cruise a couple of years back on Avalon in mid May and we were the first cruise of the year to complete the final stretch as river levels had been high and they couldn't get under a bridge.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I did a Viking River Cruise three years ago, and was very impressed. Pre - cruise information was very good and transfers from airport to the boat and back to the airport were very well handled with lots of Viking representatives on hand. The cruise itself was very enjoyable, with included excursions and drinks with lunch and dinner. No kettles in the cabins, but there was a hot drinks station with very good coffee and hot chocolate. Tea was was available too, along with cookies. Had no complaints about the meals and the cabins very well appointed - no chair, but not really a problem as we were only there a week, and we didn't spend too much time in the cabin.

During our cruise there was an issue with low water levels on the Danube, and for the previous couple of weeks the boats couldn't get from Regensburg to Passau. We thought we were going to have to change boats half way through, but as there had been a little rain we were okay.

I would like to do a Viking sea cruise. However, the price is just a bit to much for us at the moment, although a lot of things are included such as the excursions and wifi. Drinks are also included at meals, and there are often offers for drinks at all times to be included at no extra cost, or included gratuities. The cabins are well appointed from the pictures I've seen, and include chairs.
Gill

OCEANIAFAN
Cadet
Cadet

Post by OCEANIAFAN »

Think you will find that the poster is looking for Sea Cruises with Viking NOT river Cruises.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I thought so too but I didn't dare mention it for fear of calls of "pot" and "kettle"

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I blame Moby.

Towny told me to say that.

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Well, we've gone for a nice suite - no grats to pay, free wifi, and drinks with meals and 24hr tea/coffee (there's also a mini bar thing complimentary), and of course the excursions are included - if we want them.

We'll have to wait and see now, but we are truly looking forward to a cruise without formal - brilliant!

Thanks for the comments.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

OCEANIAFAN wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 16:26
Think you will find that the poster is looking for Sea Cruises with Viking NOT river Cruises.
Riverboat cruises are much nicer .... :oops:

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I can't comment, and himself has yet to be persuaded to do a river cruise.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

qbman1 wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 16:28
I thought so too but I didn't dare mention it for fear of calls of "pot" and "kettle"
I thought giving my opinion on Viking as a company based on what I had learned of them from my river cruise may be of use.

I did comment on them regarding sea cruises in my last paragraph.

Sorry if this isn't good enough.

I posted earlier in the week that I felt the cruising posts were dead. I really want to keep the forum active on cruise subjects, but it feels like a bit of an effot now.
Gill

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Gill,

I don't want to start WW3, but I found your post very helpful. From my point of view, issues with water levels on river cruises are interesting and helpful for future use; but what I am interested in here (maybe I should have said so?) is information, embarkation, disembarkation, paperwork/ticketing, transfers etc - which you addressed beautifully.

We're going on a Viking Ocean Cruise - and I'm just so excited. It will replace a cruise which we had booked with a different cruise line (must get around to cancelling it!), but after a couple of negative experiences I feel that I'd be dreading the cruise and even embarkation - walking up the gangway and dreading was I was letting myself in for. Now we've got a cruise doing a different itinerary with a different cruise line, and I feel happy and excited. Your kind post regarding paperwork and transfers etc was very helpful - thank you.

Just before anybody asks - the cruise we're cancelling in this instance - it's because of the actual ship and not the cruise line.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Did you book it some time e ago and then had a bad experience Boris ?

Just so served what happened to make you change your booking.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Gill W wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 23:42
qbman1 wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 16:28
I thought giving my opinion on Viking as a company based on what I had learned of them from my river cruise may be of use.

I did comment on them regarding sea cruises in my last paragraph.

Sorry if this isn't good enough.

I posted earlier in the week that I felt the cruising posts were dead. I really want to keep the forum active on cruise subjects, but it feels like a bit of an effot now.
Don't worry Gill - I was just being flippant but I am so paranoid about straying off topic these days !

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

If we did a Viking Sea Cruise our own choice would be to cruise the Baltic region, an area they know well of course and a unique opportunity for us to savour the finer culinary specialities of the region.

Which cruise have you chosen, Em ?

Last edited by Manoverboard on 08 Jul 2017, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

We've decided to cancel because the more we thought about the one which we are going to cancel, the more I dreaded even simply driving to Southampton! We had visions of me heading up the gangway quietly muttering comments such as 'I'm not happy, I don't want to be here!' (That's how I felt last time we tried the ship which we are going to cancel, and the cruise was a huge disappointment). That ship has had quite a few 'last chances to get it right', and I've run out of the ability to summon up hope.

So, new ship, different itinerary, and excited!

We're heading for Eastern Med and a post cruise tour as well.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Em,

Just spit it out. What are you about/going to, cancel and why?

Why be so enigmatic and retiring about your future cruise plans??

After all, this is a cruise forum where we exchange experiences and thoughts on past cruises and our hopes for future ones??

It's not a.........look at the clues in the post forum, to decipher posts. :tired: :?

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

The cruise which is going to be cancelled is on QE. Why - bad experiences, simple - and no, before you ask I don't want to list them, but enough is enough! I think the 'tin lid' was when we were on a cruise on which passengers generally had a lot to complain about, and Cunard handled the situation very badly from our point of view. I've tried to get excited and happy about QE, but I just can't shake off my doubts.

Bye the way, we're ok with QM2, and we'll know more about how we feel about the new version of QV before too long. However, from here on dry land I really don't like what has been done to QV - potentially they've spoiled it for us, but we will give QV another chance. As yet, Celebrity hasn't put a foot wrong.

You ask why I'm being a bit tight lipped about our future cruise plans - it's simply that I'm just getting to grips with our replacement plans, and as usual, planning to enjoy! Don't knock it - we're happily settling into plans for a nice outing and reading/researching stuff.

I am fully aware that some people have had wonderful times on QE, but we are not part of that happy band.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Sounds familiar :yawn: :yawn:

Are you sure you are not the problem :roll:
Jo

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Absolutely certain. What a daft and almost sniping question.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”