Viking Cruises (sea Cruises) query

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Viking Cruises (sea Cruises) query

Post by Boris+ »

As mentioned above, this thread is not really about river cruising, BUT - if you are on a river cruise do you 'have to' go ashore when you are in town, or can you stay on board and get lunch etc same as an ocean cruise? Does it depend on the operator?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Certainly on Avalon you can stay aboard. Tours are included but optional.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 15 Jul 2017, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

One advantage of going with Avalon or Amadeus rather than Viking or Uniworld is that they operate with slightly older boats and these have a shallower draft(?) which in turn means that they are less impacted by lower water levels.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 15 Jul 2017, 09:12
Certainly on Avalon you can stay aboard. Tours are included but optional.
It also applies to Viking, Uniworld, Saga, Amadeus and Nikko but the cabins are, for a period of time, out of bounds for cleaning purposes.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I may get my knuckles rapped for being off topic but reading about river cruises and particularly the bit about staying on board in ports encourages me to ask if I'm right in thinking that most of the tours on river cruises are going to be ones that are mainly conducted tours in cities, tours of historic buildings etc? The reason I ask is that although I've had a successful knee replacement I still suffer from the damage caused by a broken ankle several years ago and cannot walk that far or stand around while listening to a commentary in cathedral/museum etc. I've always assumed that I'm better sticking to Ocean cruises. I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Carole

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

That is one if the reasons we aren't sure about a river cruise. We loathe being trolled around on endless tours and don't always go ashore. We prefer sea days - are there river days(???) when you are able to relax.

During our stays in Budapest, where our son lives right opposite the berths, we seldom saw any passenger on board during the day, but hoards of passengers, wearing Viking/Uniworld etc badges, being herded around. For several reasons, that wouldn't suit us I'm afraid.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

On Viking River Cruises, a half day morning tour was included in the price. There were usually optional tours for the afternoon at an additional cost.

There is no obligation to go on any of the tours whether they are inclusive or additional. If you wish, you can stay onboard or go and do your own thing.

The inclusive tours are generally walking tours of the town, so likely to be cobbles, hills etc. However, on Viking there was always a tour group which went at a slower pace and had less standing. If you wanted to go in that group, you just needed to let reception know, and you'd be allocated that particular group.

On Viking Ocean Cruises, I understand they also operate an inclusive tour basis.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

CaroleF wrote: 15 Jul 2017, 10:07
I may get my knuckles rapped for being off topic but reading about river cruises and particularly the bit about staying on board in ports encourages me to ask if I'm right in thinking that most of the tours on river cruises are going to be ones that are mainly conducted tours in cities, tours of historic buildings etc? The reason I ask is that although I've had a successful knee replacement I still suffer from the damage caused by a broken ankle several years ago and cannot walk that far or stand around while listening to a commentary in cathedral/museum etc. I've always assumed that I'm better sticking to Ocean cruises. I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Carole
The tours on both do have many similarities for sure but the places visited on a riverboat cruise are invariably located much closer to the itinerary than is the case on a ship's cruise ... . there is therefore far less coach travel involved but the walking distances are probably greater. Tours do include Cities and historical buildings but there are also many walking tours around smaller towns, larger medieval villages, monasteries and places like Monet's Garden etc. There is always free time but no visits to a ' Shopping Opportunity ' as is too often the case with Sea Cruise Tours.

Hope that helps ... :wave:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Most of our Rhine (Avalon) tours were exactly as Gill describes - morning walking tours. Some very early! A couple were coach tours from the ship, very much in an ocean cruise style. In one case it was a coach tour that leapfrogged the ship as it moved from one port to another. We did some organised walking tours but in other ports we went ashore and did our own DIY version. A port map was provided. And as with Gill's description there were sometimes options for the less able.

There was only one "sea half-day" as we cruised through the most beautiful section of the river.

And bear in mind these are very small ships, typically 100 - 150 passengers. Make Adonia seem like the proverbial behemoth! So on board facilities are much more limited - restaurant, bar/lounge, maybe a smaller lounge, plunge pool (one cruise line, Emerald, has a larger, but not much, indoor pool), tiny gym, hairdresser, loungers on top deck.

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Gill W wrote: 15 Jul 2017, 11:37
On Viking River Cruises, a half day morning tour was included in the price. There were usually optional tours for the afternoon at an additional cost.

There is no obligation to go on any of the tours whether they are inclusive or additional. If you wish, you can stay onboard or go and do your own thing.

The inclusive tours are generally walking tours of the town, so likely to be cobbles, hills etc. However, on Viking there was always a tour group which went at a slower pace and had less standing. If you wanted to go in that group, you just needed to let reception know, and you'd be allocated that particular group.

On Viking Ocean Cruises, I understand they also operate an inclusive tour basis.
Yes we're aware that some (?)tours are included, and also that the better the accommodation booked then the earlier you can select the tours. That apparently applies to alternative dining too.

If you are river cruising through Vienna, try ViennaPass. It works very well, and gets you into town and into various locations without queuing.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Having looked at the ocean going ships, I must admit they look very nice. What have you booked Em?
Gill

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Easten Med, and looking forward to it.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Boris+ wrote: 15 Jul 2017, 18:58
Easten Med, and looking forward to it.
I can imagine.
Gill

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

It's not 'pastures new', but it will be nice to revisit, and a complete change from our recent trips.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Thanks for the information everyone. As I suspected River Cruises are not ideal for me. I'll stick to Ocean cruises. It'll be interesting to hear comments about Viking Ocean Cruises.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Boris+ wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 09:56
It's not 'pastures new', but it will be nice to revisit, and a complete change from our recent trips.
Have you booked the suite with the ocean view sauna? It looks very nice indeed. Enjoy it if you have.
Gill

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Gosh, you're not asking much! That would be telling, and anyway I thought that admitting it would be deemed to be boasting, which I didn't think was acceptable

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Ok. I'll wait for any trip report.
Gill

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”