Disembarking in Gibraltar

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Disembarking in Gibraltar

Post by Ranchi »

I've looked on line at taxi fares from Gibraltar cruise terminal to Gibraltar airport and been quoted various prices from €20 to €39. Bearing in mind that the terminal building is only 500m from the bottom of Main St. Ithink this is a bit steep! I was wondering about the viability of walking from the ship to the airport. We will not have any luggage & usually walk from the ship up to Gibraltar town ( & onward) without any bother.
I understand that the airport has two entrances (one in Spain & the other in Gibraltar) so I assume there will be no problems involved crossing a border on foot.
I would be grateful of any advice/ experiences you could offer.
Steve

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Disembarking in Gibraltar

Post by wolfie »

If you can do the walk to the town, and the airport you say is not that much further, then just take one of the many local taxis for a few euros each, from the ship to the bottom of Main Street and hike it from there.

I assume that if you are entering the airport from the Gibraltar side then there would be no problem with a flight form there unless you are taking a flight from the Spanish side. If so I would definitely make enquiries as to the border crossing formalities. We did it by car many years ago and it was a rather prolonged and delayed affair.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Ranchi wrote: 27 Jul 2017, 21:31
Bearing in mind that the terminal building is only 500m from the bottom of Main St.
When was the last time you were on a cruise in Gibraltar?

The "old" cruise terminal was indeed at the end of Main Street but they have a new one now and it is at least 20 minutes walk from the ship to Main Street.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

If we were in your situation with hardly any luggage, we'd walk it - but then that's us. If you are fit and well - go for it.

As far as crossing the border on foot is concerned, I'd leave plenty of time because last time we were in Gibraltar a whole load of passengers had their day spoiled by awkward officials. The queues were very long and very slow moving.

Good luck.

Topic author
Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Thanks for the replies.
Wolfe, I was hoping that you could enter the airport without the hassle of crossing a border.

David, we were in Gibraltar on a cruise last year so are aware of the location of the new terminal ( although we remember the old berth up beyond the top of Main St.

Boris+, the walk will be fine. I was more concerned with any border crossing but as I understand it we won't have to cross the border to get into the airport. (This was my main reason for posting I.e. confirming that you didn't need to enter Spain to board a plane.)
Last edited by Ranchi on 28 Jul 2017, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Ranchi, no need to cross the border, follow road from cruise terminal to the roundabout at the entrance to Casemates square turn left , follow road to Winston Churchill Ave, the entrance will be on the left before the border. Casemates is about the halfway point. Last time I flew from Gibraltar two years ago the airport was well within the British side, I think it it still MOD property.
Don't worry, be happy

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Ranchi, should reread before posting, of cause the airport will be on your right, you cant miss it anyway.
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Thanks, Ray. That's exactly what I hoped to hear.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”