Foxy does Norway, Iceland and Dublin on Arcadia

Topics that are specific to cruising

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Foxy does Norway, Iceland and Dublin on Arcadia

Post by Dancing Queen »

Boris+ wrote: 11 Aug 2017, 20:36
What ...... and get sniped at? I don't think so. Anyway, most of my favourite places are not exactly on the tourist track, and I don't want to be blamed for people coming unstuck.
Not really in the spirit of the forum is it Em !!!
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Pot, kettle, black!😳

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Does anybody know the price of a black pot in Iceland?

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 09:24
:lol: :lol:

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Very good obf

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

But seriously, we've enjoyed our calls in Iceland, but wouldn't want to live there. Once the novelty of the scenery and architecture has worn off I think it could be very bleak, especially in those long dark winters.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

No but I once bought a canteen of cutlery in Sweden and that wasn't cheap :lolno:

To get back on topic though as I'm not sure what Boris means, I merely suggested it might be nice if she could share some of her Icelandic experiences to help other forum members, there was no sniping it was a genuine request as Iceland and the Fjords are very popular destinations and as I pointed out forums can be a great source for passing good information on to help others or at least I have always found them to be.
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We have yet to visit Iceland and I am not altogether sure I want to, although everyone says it's lovely so I suppose it must be. Obviously therefore, I have no personal experience of the local cost of living, but from what I have been told, like Norway, it certainly isn't cheap.

I do agree about recommending good and reporting on bad on this and other fora. It can be helpful to other members in avoiding unnecessary cost.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

GillD46 wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 11:40
We have yet to visit Iceland and I am not altogether sure I want to, although everyone says it's lovely so I suppose it must be. Obviously therefore, I have no personal experience of the local cost of living, but from what I have been told, like Norway, it certainly isn't cheap.

I do agree about recommending good and reporting on bad on this and other fora. It can be helpful to other members in avoiding unnecessary cost.
Exactly and of far better value than attempting to score cheap points or to give an impression of grandeur, false or otherwise. :thumbup:

Iceland as a European-ish destination is very different, it's a place that is close to nature. The tours are expensive compared to those of Spain, lets say, but their rarity makes the cost most worthwhile ... in my opinion.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Ok, so...... there is a good possibility that what we look for (and have found) in Iceland won't appeal to many. Rightly or wrongly we try and stay away from tourist crowds and the beaten track. We will NEVER forget the awesome ice clad coast line, and the lightness at night sometimes.

Our preference is for what some would call bitterly cold. Our first glacier expedition made us completely fall in love with the place, and the abundance of stunning waterfalls, and hectares of glacier ( where the only colours in town are white and blue) just made that feeling stronger.

So, yes if you want souvenirs and refreshments at typical tourist facilities you're going to get stung. We don't go for that sort of thing, so we don't pay silly prices. Just getting away from it all and having peace and quiet is a big must for us, and luckily we've been able to do that. We are grateful we did our first visit to Iceland by cruise, and we really never will forget our midnight views of the icy coast as we sailed up to Akureyri, nor the sail in to Isafordjur. If you're flying up to Iceland, there's a wonderful restaurant used by locals if you head past Pingvellir and carry on up through Cold Valley. There's a great hotel if you head the other direction out of Reykjavik, at Skogafoss, and some nice restaurants along the way.

Because we don't drink, and because we look for the Icelandic way of life the costs is not too steep and we can have that much prized peace and quiet, and the opportunity to wait for that 'perfect shot' photo. To other tourists eating and drinking out and buying souvenirs is important, and they pay dearly for it. Each to their own.

And yes, before anyone asks, we did do the Father Neptune midnight ice splash thing, it was highly entertaining.
The colder the better, and highly suitable kit is easily available from Moutain Warehouse before you travel.

So, the way that we 'do' Iceland suits us and we love it. Horses for courses, some people love St Petersburg - we didn't enjoy it and wouldn't return, and wouldn't recommend it.
Last edited by Boris+ on 12 Aug 2017, 16:22, edited 2 times in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Would you be willing to tell us the names of the restaurants and hotels Em? Not sure they'll be of use to me but they may well be to others.
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Gill,

I think the hotel is the Skogafoss Hotel. If you're driving from Reykjavik it's on your left hand side (can't be on the right hand side, that's sea). It's pretty obvious. The restaurants en route I can't name as I tend to be either map reading or busy with the camera for good photo opportunities.

The locations up in Cold Valley (if it's cold weather be doubly careful not to drive off the edge of the roads, keep inside the yellow marker posts) head out of Reykjavik, past the big Bauhaus store, past the turning for Mosfellbaer, head for Pingvellir. When you turn off the main road for Pingvellir, this is where driving can get tricky in the snow and ice. There are several laybyes for photo stops, but beware as the ground in unreliable. If you can get up Cold Valley (beyond Pingvellir) there's a great restaurant off the road again on the left hand side, and there's a small motel there too. Sorry I can't remember the name of it, but the food was awesome. There aren't many buildings, so it's quite obvious. Last time we were there we were a bit preoccupied. We were coming down off the glacier after digging the vehicle out of a snow drift (never go up there alone, always in small convoy, and always be in radio contact), and we had a serious puncture problem. However the food was simple, traditional and great.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Thank you.
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Yes thank you, we have considered ( are considering ) a short break to Iceland in search of the Norther Lights, are the hotels of a good standard and when you say the food is simple do you mean it would be similar to what we eat at home ( meat, veg, salads ) I'm only asking because I struggle with foreign food and I'm not very adventurous.
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

It's a case of googling a bit, and a bit of using Trip Advisor, going into websites and reading menus. It's so easy to find plenty of places who provide uncluttered 'simple' food beautifully cooked and nicely presented. We had no problem in finding unadulterated meat, poultry or fish, and a similar situation for either salads or veg. Whatever they don't import they grow. Iceland is the biggest banana exporter in Europe!! We haven't experienced stuff like raw shark/whale buried in the ground and fermented! We're not going to either!

The place we found up in Cold Valley did an awesome lamb stew which was a local specialty.
Last edited by Boris+ on 13 Aug 2017, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Boris+ wrote: 11 Aug 2017, 14:30
wolfie wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 23:24
Having actually been to Iceland, and our daughter visiting there recently on a land based holiday, and also hiring a car, it is expensive. You have to have been there to know. However, one of those places not to be missed.
Well, thanks for your opinion - it makes me wonder if this is another thread on which you haven't bothered to read all the posts?
Anyway, if you are querying the fact that we've been to Iceland several times (and are looking forward to another visit) do please change the record! I'm going to stick by my guns and say that it's only expensive (a) if you can't afford it and (b) if you are a very stupid tourist. We haven't found it much more expensive than being at home - let's face it, even London is said to be expensive! Any tourist area can be a bit more costly - if you behave like a tourist.

I don't like being, 'sniped at' either when I expressed a fact and my personal opinion on visiting, for those who are not tempted/haven't been,in post 41.

As you quoted my post in your reply I find your suggestion that we, 'can't afford it,' and are, 'stupid tourists', insulting. We have visited many of the major cities around the world, literally, and planned our own itineraries, (not because we couldn't afford a tour) because we are independent travellers.
Like others, we have been happy to share our plans and tips, and any pitfalls,(not many of those due to careful planning!), on our return.

Not querying anything at all, and, if you prefer to make numerous trip to the same place, that's your choice. It's not ours as we have preferred to experience as much of the world as we could.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

We don't go to the same place and do the same things all the time- but I'm not having a go at people who do. Travel for us is all about photography, and the challenge and opportunities afforded to us courtesy of different seasons, weather and obviously light conditions simply deepen our experience and enjoyment. Hence the desire to get off the beaten path and get a bit of peace and quiet ( which prevents flora and fauna being disturbed too much).

We're all different, we spent today up a not too busy hill path scouting out potential for photographing thistles and butterflies. The results are encouraging , so next warm dry day we'll return with seating, more lenses and refreshments. You may well not have done the same thing. Neither of us is right, neither of us is wrong.

If you thought I said that you were a stupid tourist etc, well you might just have misconstrued. At the end of the day, how you interpret something is up to you.

You are very welcome to get as many different destinations to your credit as possible; I prefer to return compare and hone the experiences, that's all.
Last edited by Boris+ on 13 Aug 2017, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Boris+ wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 16:16
Ok, so...... there is a good possibility that what we look for (and have found) in Iceland won't appeal to many. Rightly or wrongly we try and stay away from tourist crowds and the beaten track. We will NEVER forget the awesome ice clad coast line, and the lightness at night sometimes.

Our preference is for what some would call bitterly cold. Our first glacier expedition made us completely fall in love with the place, and the abundance of stunning waterfalls, and hectares of glacier ( where the only colours in town are white and blue) just made that feeling stronger.
I think you are really Princess Elsa - "the cold never bothered me anyway" !!

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Wrong!!! I'm Skye from Paw Patrol😀

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Very you !

I confess I had to look her up so, for the benefit of any other poor, misinformed souls...

PAW_Patrol_Skye_PNG_2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Ahhh very cute cubie :clap:

I must admit whilst I prefer a warm climate we have had some lovely cruises when doing Xmas market cruises, the cold hasn't bothered me at all when I'm well wrapped up.
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Aaaah, but as they say in Iceland, there is no bad weather, just wrong clothing!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

They also say - "if you get lost in the forest, stand up" !

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Yip, I'd forgotten that one!

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”