Itinerary changes

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Itinerary changes

Post by colin parry »

Yet again we have a change of destinations at short notice. Adonia will not now call at Puerto Banus which I was looking forward to but will have two days in Barcelona for necessary repairs. On Oriana in May, we had two days in Civitavechia and two days in Salerno again for essential repairs. That was notified only 48 hours before departure. On both of these occasions we missed out on "new ports" It now appears to be good luck if you get the cruise you have booked.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Itinerary changes

Post by david63 »

colin parry wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 12:49
It now appears to be good luck if you get the cruise you have booked.
Nothing new there then!

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

they removed Kusadasi and Heraklion from our last cruise and replaced them with Katakolon and Sarande
Meg
x

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I suspect that we could all drum up a sizeable list going back many years, although the frequency of itinerary changes has increased significantly in recent years ... in our experience anyway.

Most annoying :thumbdown:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

The problem is that they always seem to change the port that you are really looking forward to going to with somewhere you have been many times before - do they ever change the port(s) that you don't want to go to?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I guess this is a result of the cruiselines competing to put their cruises on sale earlier and earlier each year. Either port bookings aren't quite nailed down or something changes after they've announced the itineraries.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Perhaps it's another cost cutting exercise where they are now doing refits on the move ;)

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

david63 wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 16:23
The problem is that they always seem to change the port that you are really looking forward to going to with somewhere you have been many times before - do they ever change the port(s) that you don't want to go to?
That's so true David.
I'd be happy never to set foot in Gib again.
Next years cruise has four ports that we've never been to.
What's the betting ?
Empty vessels .. and all that

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

OK 40+ cruises changes not weather related one and that was with Princess. Other changes not weather related one and that was a reverse of itinerary in the Caribbean to avoid congestion.

It is not as black as it seems.

BTW I like Gib.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

daib GC wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 17:18
OK 40+ cruises changes not weather related one and that was with Princess. Other changes not weather related one and that was a reverse of itinerary in the Caribbean to avoid congestion.

It is not as black as it seems.

BTW I like Gib.
We're halfway with you there Dai. No pre departure changes ever, other than order or time in port, and very few en route, and those were weather related.

But we don't like Gib!

Topic author
colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

Dai and Merv
Agree somewhat with you. We had 30 odd cruises without a change but now two in successive cruises requiring essential maintenance whilst in operation. At least we are not diverting to Sarande again.

dorsetlad
Cadet
Cadet

Post by dorsetlad »

Another thing is that although we will be in Barcelona for an additional day, there are no shore excursions on Cruise Personaliser for that extra day. I phoned ccustomer services about it yesteday, and they said it would be updated overnight to accommodate the extra day. Guess what, they are still not on today.

Brian

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

I have just phoned my sister to make sure that she was aware of this change as she is on Adonia next week and she has just said that there is breaking news on Channel 5 five o'clock news about a possible ?? terrorist attack in the Las Ramblas area. Not sure if this will have a knock on effect on the itinerary.

Maureen.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Kenmo1 wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 17:22
I have just phoned my sister to make sure that she was aware of this change as she is on Adonia next week and she has just said that there is breaking news on Channel 5 five o'clock news about a possible ?? terrorist attack in the Las Ramblas area. Not sure if this will have a knock on effect on the itinerary.

Maureen.
Unlikely - Las Ramblas is bustling again today

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Very positive feedback on Facecloth on Britannia and Capt Paul Brown, which was in Barcelona yesterday. Apparently after leaving port he stayed close to the coast so passengers could use their mobile phones to call home without incurring huge at sea charges.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

What a thoughtful touch - hope everyone on board was OK

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 14:13
Very positive feedback on Facecloth on Britannia and Capt Paul Brown, which was in Barcelona yesterday. Apparently after leaving port he stayed close to the coast so passengers could use their mobile phones to call home without incurring huge at sea charges.
And I bet that there will be some bemoaning the fact that they may be late arriving at the next port!!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Apparently got away on time with all aboard safely

Topic author
colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

Just back from an excellent 16 days on Adonia. It will be an absolute shame if P&O do manage to sell it as the rumour mill was suggesting last week. Adonia is an entirely different cruise experience with only 700 passengers. This was my 4th cruise on her and despite missing Portofino because of bad weather for tendering still had a most enjoyable holiday. One new port was Sete in south of France which was a most delightful little town. Many passengers were a little disgruntled about missing Portofino after having Puerto Banus cancelled before we left but safety is paramount, fortunately I had been to Portofino on a number of previous occasions. Despite only having 4 passenger lifts , you never had to wait for one. The service from all departments was superb, I had an excellent cabin stewardess in Nora (B102) and nothing was too much trouble. The entertainment team were very good and the Adonia theatre group(4 of them) were superb. Well I've got 7 weeks now until I embark Oriana for the second time this year. Only wish it was Adonia but I don't want to go to the Caribbean.

dorsetlad
Cadet
Cadet

Post by dorsetlad »

colin parry wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 14:51
Just back from an excellent 16 days on Adonia. It will be an absolute shame if P&O do manage to sell it as the rumour mill was suggesting last week. Adonia is an entirely different cruise experience with only 700 passengers. This was my 4th cruise on her and despite missing Portofino because of bad weather for tendering still had a most enjoyable holiday. One new port was Sete in south of France which was a most delightful little town. Many passengers were a little disgruntled about missing Portofino after having Puerto Banus cancelled before we left but safety is paramount, fortunately I had been to Portofino on a number of previous occasions. Despite only having 4 passenger lifts , you never had to wait for one. The service from all departments was superb, I had an excellent cabin stewardess in Nora (B102) and nothing was too much trouble. The entertainment team were very good and the Adonia theatre group(4 of them) were superb. Well I've got 7 weeks now until I embark Oriana for the second time this year. Only wish it was Adonia but I don't want to go to the Caribbean.
We too were on this cruise Colin, and only 3 cabins away from you in B108. We used to have a laugh with your stewardess each morning on our way to breakfast. You may have heard we whistling whilst walking around the ship, and she used to joke that I must be the most relaxed person on board. Our stewardess was great too, couldn't pronounce her name, but she said we could call her Jenny. As you say it was an excellent cruise, some of the entertainment highlights for us were, the 4 D's (excellent harmony), the Spanish flautist, and Ray Lemond, the classical pianist. Must admit we thought the guest speaker Paul Browm a disappointment, as his delivery wasn't very good. Who knows we may have chatted during our time on board, certainly passed each other in the corridor. Have to wait now until December for Christmas aboard Aurora.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

My sister and her husband arrived back yesterday from the Adonia and while on board they booked a cruise for next June going to Seville, Bordeaux and Rouen on her but aren't holding out too much hope that they will actually complete a cruise. My sister said you couldn't get a straight answer from any of the staff regarding next year.

Maureen

Topic author
colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

Dorsetlad.
What a pity we did not meet on board. I agree about Andrea Amat the flautist, having seen her before and the 4 Ds were excellent although I had also seen them last year. As far as the guest speaker was concerned, I don't go to listen to someone who has just put together a series of talks. I much prefer to listen to someone who can relate their own experiences like we had on Oriana earlier in the year, a gentleman who had been a bodyguard to Nelson Mandela having been an activist at the time of apartheid.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

dorsetlad wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 15:05
Our stewardess was great too, couldn't pronounce her name, but she said we could call her Jenny.
In July she was on the other side (odd number cabins) and we thought she was one of the worst cabin stewards that we have ever had - was never around when we were going in/out, didn't fill the shower gel up (it was empty), didn't always replace the towels, came to turn down the bed before we went for dinner - need I go on?

dorsetlad
Cadet
Cadet

Post by dorsetlad »

david63 wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 16:09
dorsetlad wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 15:05
Our stewardess was great too, couldn't pronounce her name, but she said we could call her Jenny.
In July she was on the other side (odd number cabins) and we thought she was one of the worst cabin stewards that we have ever had - was never around when we were going in/out, didn't fill the shower gel up (it was empty), didn't always replace the towels, came to turn down the bed before we went for dinner - need I go on?
Strange, it doesn't sound like the same person. Ours was extremely good, and provided anything we asked for.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

dorsetlad wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 16:11
it doesn't sound like the same person
Definitely was - some unpronounceable name so call me "Jenny" - perhaps there had been complaints and she had "got her act together"

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”