Croatian currency

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Croatian currency

Post by Whynd1 »

We are calling at Zadar and Dubrovnik on our Aurora cruise. I know the currency in Croatia is the Kuna.
Can anyone tell me if they take Euros and are you able to buy Kuna on board ship.
I know you can use cards but I was thinking of cash for coffees and lunch etc.

Thanks
Lindsey

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Croatian currency

Post by Jan Rosser »

Hi Lyndsey
We visited Dubrovnik and Sibinek on the cruise I've just returned from and they had Kuna on board Aurora however while in Sibenik my DIL bought a couple of items from a stall and they took Euros - we also used Euros in Dubrovnik to buy a few small gifts.
Janis

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We used Euros for odd purchases

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We have travelled Croatia extensively, both on cruises and land tours.

Kuna are best by some distance simply because you will generally be ripped off when using the Euro, some places including the walls at Dubrovnik will ( used to ) only take cash payments in Kuna. The ships do not always carry this currency.

Get a bunch of Kuna from the Post Office is my advice, they will accept returns if you retain their receipt.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

There are the odd places in Dubrovnik who will accept Euros but as MOB says you will be ripped off if using them, if you intend to 'walk the walls' as already said they will only accept Kuna but they will also accept CC's.

I wouldn't bother about having Kuna left over, once you have visited Croatia you will want to go back so just hang on to them :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
Last edited by Dancing Queen on 19 Aug 2017, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

We had no bother using euros in Dubrovnik and Cavtat. We didn't get ripped off either. I've got a currency converter on my phone, and was content with our spending which was just for gifts.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

we were told at the port overview that it was now illegal for traders to accept euros.....

However, in Dubrovnik the port side traders had everything marked in Euros! The walls walk will only accept Kuna.
In Spilt we used Kuna and saw no dual labelling
Meg
x

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Are you saying you can no longer use a credit card to pay to walk the walls Meg.
Jo

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Dancing Queen wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 22:16
Are you saying you can no longer use a credit card to pay to walk the walls Meg.
Jo - I paid for me and the family to walk the walls with my debit card - no problem :thumbup:
Janis

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Thanks Jan.
Jo

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

We just used euros. Not everywhere takes them but all we wanted were a couple of drinks and an ice cream and there were plenty of places happy to take euros. I am not sure about the getting 'ripped off' using euros because the exchange rates we were offered weren't that far away (especially if you take into account the cost of exchanging into Kuna and then exchanging left over currency back).
Last edited by Kendhni on 20 Aug 2017, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Perhaps ripped off was the wrong term to use, we used Euros in a couple of bars which they were happy to accept but said they wouldn't be able to give change ?? so I guess we weren't ripped off as they pre warned us, it would have been fine if we'd had small denomination notes but we hadn't so in effect we did feel ripped off but our fault entirely.
Jo

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Thanks Jan, let helpful if you.

Lindsey

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We were having a coffee in a bar in Hvar and paid with Kunas - I think John bought some, not many, at the airport. While we were there a woman on her own was trying to pay for her coffee with Euros and the bar wouldn't take them. She looked a bit worried so John told her he would pay. It turned out she was from the ship too - I think it was Oceana. This was two years ago so things may have changed a bit since then.

Carole

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Dancing Queen wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 08:39
Perhaps ripped off was the wrong term to use, we used Euros in a couple of bars which they were happy to accept but said they wouldn't be able to give change ?? so I guess we weren't ripped off as they pre warned us, it would have been fine if we'd had small denomination notes but we hadn't so in effect we did feel ripped off but our fault entirely.
That actually is a very good point, if you are using euros make sure you have a lot of small denomination notes (although I think they also took the 1Euro coins from us - but nothing smaller)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Yes I think ripped off is a bit harsh. I wonder how many shops in our town would accept and give change in Euros!

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Probably none Merv nor would we expect it but we saw several people using Euros so really my point was they could have given change if they had wanted to ( one assumes ) as I said entirely our own fault but we were caught in a torrential downpour and just went into the nearest place to keep dry .. we were there rather a long time :o ;)

I would add we hadn't purchased any Kuna as we had been to Dubrovnik previously so knew we could use a card for the walls and any major purchases and also knew of a couple of places where Euros would be accepted for food and drink but I do agree with you .. when in Rome :thumbup:
Last edited by Dancing Queen on 20 Aug 2017, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 12:00
Yes I think ripped off is a bit harsh. I wonder how many shops in our town would accept and give change in Euros!
I saw loads of currency flashing around in St P's; it was great to watch in one shop the mental arithmetical workouts going on, especially when some people paid in one currency and wanted change to be given in a different currency, and not a calculator in sight.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

We had the interesting experience in St Martin /St Maarten when we called this winter. On the St Martin half they take either UD dollars or Euros and the price was the same in each! We paid in Euros, got change in dollars.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I know that they don't take Euros in St Albans .... just saying :angel: .
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

A few years ago, I took Martin Lewis's advice and obtained a Halifax Clarity card. I only use it for foreign purchases and getting cash from ATMs. The exchange rate is always better than the exchanges and there are plenty of ATMs when you get off the boat in Croatia in the ports. Just pay the balance off when you get home.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”