Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: CC registration changes

Post by Dancing Queen »

Boris+ wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 18:43
Hey Sue,

Lighten up kiddo or change the record.

Just for the record, it's a normal coffee or diy tea with breakfast, and juice. Same at lunch, hot drinks with afternoon tea, and usually a soft drink with dinner. We don't frequent bars. We normally ignore the embarkation bottle of fizz in the suite, and any bottles given to us go home with us. The drinks in the fridge are always soft drinks. That's what we call not drinking.

Everyone changes over time, even you could. We don't want now what we used to, and the change is quite refreshing.
Forgive me for questioning Em but being familiar ( especially with Cunard ) you are not given bottles of alcohol you actually have to order them via your butler so why would you even order them if you don't drink ?? you write off any obc you have but take the trouble to take 'freebies' home .. why not just use your obc to buy a couple of decent bottles of something there is plenty of choice.

BTW whilst I appreciate any jewelry is subjective are you aware that the Jewelers onboard Cunard ships are one of the most prestigious Jewelers in New York AND they sell very well known watch brands .. can't say I've ever noticed Snoopy watches though :lol:
Last edited by Dancing Queen on 13 Sep 2017, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Jo

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

What a loaf of fuss and hot air, Boris.

They only ring fence the £50, you do GET IT BACK if you spend nothing. £50,ring fenced for a short time,is nothing if yourcredit limit is good. The only difference that I can see is that they now check that your credit is good BEFORE you sail, and not on board, often without you even knowing, with doing a little transaction. We have never actually seen any pre authorisation on our on board account.

As for Mickey Mouse money; almost 10 years ago we had OBC of a 4 figure sum, lots of high amounts after that, and, on 2 cruises in 2015, we again had OBC of 4 figures for them both. It was mostly all used buying perfumes and beauty products for friends, our daughters and their friends, as we knew that there was no way we could spend that amount on a 20 and 30 day cruise so, we asked what they wanted before we sailed and purchased our list. And,before anyone asks we did not ask for payments from the recipients. Preferable to leaving it with the cruise company, we always use our OBC. Plain stupid not to, IMO.

Me thinks someone needs a spread sheet :lol: :crazy:

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Jo,

If a butler comes along and asks about bottles of drink, because it's not particularly interesting to us we just usually nominate gin and scotch. Such things then arrive and get taken home by us at the end of the cruise. We find 'meeting the butler' boring and a nuisance, we're more interested in other things, but we can briefly state our preference for the soft drinks in the fridge which is more important for us. As for lists of different brands of spirits - boring!!!

The Snoopy watch is made by Omega, it commemorates the use of an Omega Speedmaster Professional during the Apollo XIII mission, and the NASA Snoopy Awards.

We're not in the habit of buying gifts from our travels from the onboard shops, simply as there is nothing suitable. QED no use for the obc.
Last edited by Boris+ on 13 Sep 2017, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Boris+ wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 20:30
Jo,

If a butler comes along and asks about bottles of drink, because it's not particularly interesting to us we just usually nominate gin and scotch. Such things then arrive and get taken home by us at the end of the cruise. We find 'meeting the butler' boring and a nuisance, we're more interested in other things, but we can briefly state our preference for the soft drinks in the fridge which is more important for us. As for lists of different brands of spirits - boring!!!

The Snoopy watch is made by Omega, it commemorates the use of an Omega Speedmaster Professional during the Apollo XIII mission, and the NASA Snoopy Awards.

We're not in the habit of buying gifts from our travels from the onboard shops, simply as there is nothing suitable. QED no use for the obc.
Oh I forgot to say IF you leave the auto gratuities in place they are taken from you obc so actually save you using your 'own cash' :thumbup:
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

😵
Boring, I have better things to do.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Boris+ wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 17:59
Ok David, if we're ever on the same cruise you can have it!
I'll take you up on that offer - now which cruises are you on?

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Boris+ wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 20:46
😵
Boring, I have better things to do.
Maybe what I suggested :lol: a spread sheet :roll:

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy- ... 30-04-003/

Which of the three did you have your eye on Boris? They are still for sale out there on the www. :)
Last edited by wolfie on 13 Sep 2017, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I've just caught up with this tgread, being away.

I can't say entering my CC pin number bothers me at all, but writing off my OBC most definitely would. Next year we have just under $4000. We definitely wouldn't consider writing that off!
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

wolfie wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 22:30
https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy- ... 30-04-003/

Which of the three did you have your eye on Boris? They are still for sale out there on the www. :)
I can't say that I recognise the ones on the link, I didn't really take that much interest because it wasn't my cup of tea. I don't get excited by men's watches. Thanks for the link, but I'm not going to buy a watch on the net.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

wolfie wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 20:09
What a loaf of fuss and hot air, Boris.

They only ring fence the £50, you do GET IT BACK if you spend nothing. £50,ring fenced for a short time,is nothing if yourcredit limit is good. The only difference that I can see is that they now check that your credit is good BEFORE you sail, and not on board, often without you even knowing, with doing a little transaction. We have never actually seen any pre authorisation on our on board account.

As for Mickey Mouse money; almost 10 years ago we had OBC of a 4 figure sum, lots of high amounts after that, and, on 2 cruises in 2015, we again had OBC of 4 figures for them both. It was mostly all used buying perfumes and beauty products for friends, our daughters and their friends, as we knew that there was no way we could spend that amount on a 20 and 30 day cruise so, we asked what they wanted before we sailed and purchased our list. And,before anyone asks we did not ask for payments from the recipients. Preferable to leaving it with the cruise company, we always use our OBC. Plain stupid not to, IMO.

Me thinks someone needs a spread sheet :lol: :crazy:
I'd quite like one those floating revolving would atlases please wolfie if you wouldn't mind adding it to your next list. I don't mind paying the p&p :D ;)
Last edited by Stephen on 14 Sep 2017, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

david63 wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 21:31
Boris+ wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 17:59
Ok David, if we're ever on the same cruise you can have it!
I'll take you up on that offer - now which cruises are you on?
I can't say on here, sorry David. Why.... well if I do, those members who unfortunately love ridiculing and scoring points will stick their noses in, and the point of this forum is to help and inform others. I'm not here to entertain that sort of person.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I wouldn’t describe anything as ridicule Em but you do leave yourself wide open to criticism with some of the bizarre statements you come out with which very often contradict something you have previously said, strangely enough it is the bizarre statements which tend to stick in people’s minds.

Take your OP ‘tipping’ you now describe as extortion and yes you are entitled to your opinion but I would hardly call adding a daily amount to your account ( which I would emphasise is not actually charged until the end of the cruise ) extortion, it is merely adding something daily along with other daily purchases which must be a whole lot easier than leaving it until the last day and then having to update 2500+ accounts.

I really couldn’t say if the gratuities are added at the beginning, daily or during, funnily enough it never crosses my mind to check or that I might not get excellent service so when they choose to apply them is irrelevant to me and as I previously said the option is always there to remove but I would hope if something wasn’t quite to my satisfaction it would be sorted out without resorting to removal, there are of course people who still prefer to do it the old way via envelopes and there is nothing wrong with that but then you have the ‘third’ person who has no intention of giving anything !!!

I find it very hard to comprehend why anyone would feel the need to regularly check their account for peace of mind simply because they have been asked to input their pin number when registering their credit card, you state that a passenger had previously mistakenly given your cabin number to charge an expensive shop item .. another statement I find confusing because when purchasing anywhere on a ship be it the shops/bars/spa you hand your cruise card over and the cash register recognises the card and charges accordingly they do not take your word for it that you are actually in any particular cabin .. perhaps in the old days but I didn’t think you had been cruising that long.

As for not being in the habit of purchasing gifts during your travels doesn't your avatar pic say differently.
Jo

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Gratuities are taken off your OBC at the start of the cruise. When we went to check how much OBC we had by asking for a statement at reception, the total amount had been taken off on day one - useful when trying to see how much we have left to spend!
Meg
x

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Sorry to disabuse you Jo, but that item was a gift to me from some regular cruising friends.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Is it me? Still not getting this. How is asking you to input your PIN, thus making the system more secure, an issue? Nothing else about the way on board accounts operate has changed.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Boris+ wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 11:03
Sorry to disabuse you Jo, but that item was a gift to me from some regular cruising friends.
And the others you have ?? also gifts I expect :yawn:
Jo

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 11:11
Is it me? Still not getting this. How is asking you to input your PIN, thus making the system more secure, an issue? Nothing else about the way on board accounts operate has changed.
It isn't Merv or at least not for 99.9% of us :lol: :lol:
Jo

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Meg 50 wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 10:55
Gratuities are taken off your OBC at the start of the cruise. When we went to check how much OBC we had by asking for a statement at reception, the total amount had been taken off on day one - useful when trying to see how much we have left to spend!
Ahhh that would make sense Meg :thumbup:
Jo

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 11:11
And here was I thinking it was just me. Some people just seem to like making a mountain out of a molehill. I can't see what difference it makes but presume P&O may have had credit cards presented but with no credit on them.
I just don't see it as an issue.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

As long as it gets me on-board and to the bar they can have what they like........within reason :)

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Is there a Mod out there brave enough to close this thread - I think I've lost the will to live reading some of the completely irrational comments on here - just enter the pin for gawd's sake - cannot for the life of me understand the problem :crazy:
Janis

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Vote Blod for Mod !

Far too many mountains and molehills around here

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Dancing Queen wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 11:16
Boris+ wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 11:03
And the others you have ?? also gifts I expect :yawn:
How do you know what I do and don't have? More to the point what business is it of yours, anyway? Why are you so concerned?

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

qbman1 wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 12:33
Vote Blod for Mod !

Far too many mountains and molehills around here
:lolno:
Janis

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”