Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

It's all going on with Pee and Oh

Post by Stephen »

Face cloth P&O forum info.

50 night cruise on Oriana cancelled. Boiler problem apparently. That was a good check over and refit then.

Life boat fell into sea on Arcadia. Whoops

And the third thing......!!

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: It's all going on with Pee and Oh

Post by Whynd1 »

The 50 night cruise was cancelled in December for the urgent maintenance work.
I had a friend booked on this cruise. She ended up transferring to the Oceana for half the nights at the same price.

Lindsey

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 12:42
Face cloth P&O forum info.

50 night cruise on Oriana cancelled. Boiler problem apparently. That was a good check over and refit then.

Life boat fell into sea on Arcadia. Whoops

And the third thing......!!
I thought the Oriana cancellation was to allow the boiler repair and was announced weeks ago. The lifeboat accident was obviously unplanned and hopefully the injured crew are not seriously hurt.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Sorry to be stupid. But isn't Oriana diesel powered? What's with the boiler? Have they converted her to coal?

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Perhaps they mean the Captain. :D

See Dalia Constantinescu's post and replies on face cloth.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... %20cruises

Trolling through the various reply post it seems she has had to go into dry dock for urgent essential maintenance. Probably to convert her back from coal to diesel ;) :sarcasm:
Last edited by Stephen on 06 Jan 2018, 15:01, edited 3 times in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 14:30
Sorry to be stupid. But isn't Oriana diesel powered? What's with the boiler? Have they converted her to coal?
I thought that as Oriana was so old and decrepit that maybe it was still steam powered! But I was only following Stephen's post.
John

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Oh that's nice, blame me 😁

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

sorry but as Oriana is our favourite ship along with Arora I personally think your either talking rubbish our do not know anything about the ship most probable

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

poole boy wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 22:46
sorry but as Oriana is our favourite ship along with Arora I personally think your either talking rubbish our do not know anything about the ship most probable
Which bits did you disagree with? She is old, certainly the oldest ship in the fleet, and her present status as awaiting urgent engineering repairs, along with her well known vibration issues and frequent plumbing problems surely makes her currently decrepit. I said nothing about her interior decor or whether she has a large fan base, but since I have never sailed on her I do accept the charge of talking rubbish, possibly.......
John

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I have travelled on her and found the vibration issue a major disappointment. It is very pronounced in the lower dining room, making it noisy and causing cutlery to rattle on empty plates. The last time we were on her she broke down three times, once during diner when all the lights went ff, emergency lights came on, some of the staff ran off and we drifted for15-20 minutes before power was restored.
No doubting she is a favourite ship for some but she does have big problems.

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

poole boy wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 22:46
Oriana does have a special place for us as it was our very first ship to cruise on and we have sailed on her a second time and Aurora three times. But with all her constant problems I personally feel Oriana's time is up. Maintainance costs for her must be crippling. Only time will tell.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

We have been on Oriana numerous times and we like the atmosphere on there. We have never come off feeling that we have had a bad cruise just sometimes a few frustrations. Last time, in October, we had a couple of days of problems with the water system but bottles were issued very quickly. I think a lot of it was also to do with a boiler problem.

We have 2 more cruises booked on her for this year, one in February and one in April. She often goes to ports that we haven't yet tried. However, I found myself looking at a possible cruise on her to the North Cape for July 2019 but feel that there is now a serious risk that Oriana might be sold off before then due to her problems so haven't yet made a decision on it. However, the major repair work about to be done in Hamburg might go some way towards solving some problems. We will find out on our next two cruises.

However, I just love to see both Aurora and Oriana sailing past the Isle of Wight because they are both beautiful ships, certainly not a word you can use for the 'hideous blocks of flats' that are now being produced. Maureen.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kenmo1 wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 09:07
I found myself looking at a possible cruise on her to the North Cape for July 2019 but feel that there is now a serious risk that Oriana might be sold off before then
I doubt it - if she is to be "sold off" then I would guess that it would be the following year when the new ship joins the fleet.

Have sailed on Oriana three or four times and she is certainly one of my favourite ships but the biggest problem (vibration apart) is the lack of balcony cabins and the resultant high cost of the ones that she has.

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

well all I can say is we have sailed on Oriana 5 times and have never had any problems with vibrations, nearly every ship has problems with norovirus
what really annoys me is when it is oriana turn the usual suspects start calling it the plague ship but when its reported on ventura and azura they remain strangely quite.
I get the feeling they think they are being funny knocking oriana at every opportunity but I think they would be better of to act as grown ups not as failed comedians

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Chill out poole boy, it's a ship not a life threatening desease.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

There has been a lot of posts about the Oriana vibration, but the only time I have noticed it in the dining room (our table was at the very stern of the dining MDR in the centre) was when the ship was making a manoeuvre, like when leaving port. I have not seen it as a problem as described by some, maybe I have been lucky. A very nice Ship, had good times on her.
Don't worry, be happy

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I think it depends on the table number rather than the manoeuvre, cannot remember the number of ours but our waiter had to show us how to align our cutlery to prevent it dancing off the table ... we popped off to the alternate dining venues as often as we could to avoid it.

Having said that both of our Oriana cruises were brilliant from the itinerary viewpoint.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Ray B wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 12:59
There has been a lot of posts about the Oriana vibration, but the only time I have noticed it in the dining room (our table was at the very stern of the dining MDR in the centre) was when the ship was making a manoeuvre, like when leaving port. I have not seen it as a problem as described by some, maybe I have been lucky. A very nice Ship, had good times on her.
The vibration when manoeuvring is due to the bow and stern thrusters and most ships suffer this to some extend. She has always had a vibration from the main propellers ever since she was built and initial sea trials proved unacceptable. The scews are fully variable pitch and they managed to make a big reduction in the problem by running the motors backwards and reversing the screw pitch.

We like her as a ship but the lack of balconies is a big detraction.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”