Travel Insurance Revisited

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Travel Insurance Revisited

Post by david63 »

I always knew that renewing our travel insurance this year was going to be a problem, and expensive due to the fact that we are cruising to the USA/Canada later in the year combined with a higher than usual cancellation value, our ages and Mrs 63's medical conditions.

Anyway I spent most of yesterday on this project checking online with almost every site I could find and came up with prices ranging from just over 1k to not so far off 2k - all for the same thing.

The company that surprised me by being the cheapest, and the one I eventually went with, was the Post Office.

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Travel Insurance Revisited

Post by gilly88 »

that's interesting will have to try them for later this year. thanks david.
regards gilly.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

david63 wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 11:33
The company that surprised me by being the cheapest, and the one I eventually went with, was the Post Office.
Thanks David - the funny thing is, I have never given the Post Office a thought but I have now added it to my list of companies to try in October. One of the reasons we booked for July 2019 on board ship was because we will only lose 2 x £50 deposit if the next quote comes out at silly money for the insurance and we decide not to go. It gets to a stage when you have to decide if its worth paying a lot to go abroad when there are endless places in Britain that we haven't visited.

Maureen.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kenmo1 wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 11:51
It gets to a stage when you have to decide if its worth paying a lot to go abroad
As I said we have the USA/Canada this year and a Caribbean booked for next year but due to the high cost of insurance we will almost certainly be staying in Europe after that!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I'm in the same boat David, as in travel insurance is due for renewal. And even renewing with the same company I have to phone them up and go through the interrogation of medical questions again. We are with insure and go but Staysure were good on price too. I will also give the post office a look.

OCEANIAFAN
Cadet
Cadet

Post by OCEANIAFAN »

Has anyone tried the following Explorer Travel Insurance https://www.explorerinsurance.co.uk/

They have been mentioned in Martin Lewis web page and have a good Defacto rating.

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

explorer travel insurance would not insure me we ended up using direct travel at a cost of iceland 2 weeks £500 and the canaries 13 days £591 but we had booked these before getting insurance so would have lost more by cancelling, so after trying for 4 days this is the only company that would insure me.
we did have explorer travel insurance when we travelled on adonia in september last year when I had a problem and they did pay out the £760 bill but will not insure me now
Last edited by poole boy on 01 Mar 2018, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

OCEANIAFAN wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 12:06
Has anyone tried the following Explorer Travel Insurance https://www.explorerinsurance.co.uk/

They have been mentioned in Martin Lewis web page and have a good Defacto rating.
We've used them half a dozen times; never claimed, though, so no idea how they perform when they're needed.

They always came up with the best quotes for our set of circumstances, until we were told about this comparison site: www.payingtoomuch.com. Their quote, with AllClear, halved the price for very similar cover.

Trouble with recommending insurance of any sort is that every set of circumstances is unique, so one size doesn't fit all.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

anniec wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 13:25
OCEANIAFAN wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 12:06

We've used them half a dozen times; never claimed, though, so no idea how they perform when they're needed.

They always came up with the best quotes for our set of circumstances, until we were told about this comparison site: www.payingtoomuch.com. Their quote, with AllClear, halved the price for very similar cover.

Trouble with recommending insurance of any sort is that every set of circumstances is unique, so one size doesn't fit all.

They're excess is higher than most as well.

Like all insurance companies you only find out how good they are when you have to make a claim.
Last edited by Stephen on 01 Mar 2018, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”