Pre cruise stresses

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Pre cruise stresses

Post by Whynd1 »

By the time my cruise comes round on Friday I will be in need of a stiff drink or two.

Firstly there was the bad weather, although we missed most of it here in Swansea. Then yesterday I went into my local Tesco store for some frozen food to leave for the family whilst I am away, nothing in the fridges or freezers. A lot of the shelves are empty. Apparently Tesco will not be back to normal until Sunday. Had booked a Sainsbury's delivery slot for today no kept my fingers crossed.
Then late last night had a phone call from the nursing home regarding my elderly mother, she has a chest infection which was not responding to the antibiotics and was having trouble breathing they had called 999 for an ambulance.
Took 4 hours and she was taken to the large hospital here in Swansea and waited to be seen.
We spent over three hours ringing then phone number nine A and E which has had been given to see if she was to be admitted. Anyway to cut a long story short she has community pnumonia and will be given further medication and taken back to the home by ambulance.

Sainsburys came up trump's and sent all of my order with no substitutions, I could have kissed the driver !!

So am hoping to get away on Friday as planned.

Take care all
Lindsey

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Pre cruise stresses

Post by poole boy »

After all that hope you have a lovely holiday

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

I hope that you do get away with no further problems and that you mother responds to treatment.

OH has now been home for 3 weeks after 101 days in hospital since October after Community Aquired Pneumonia, which I was later told was life threatening as they did not respond to many of the antibiotics,and then two further chest infections, which were ignored in hospital, (obs are fine, I was told, but when I insisted on a blood test, they did indeed have an infection), and, despite the same symptoms before discharge, and, once home and contacting our surgery with my concern, they asked for a blood test and yes, you guessed, they had another chest infection.

Make sure that the home are very aware of anything out of the norm for your mother and act on it immediately

OH is not elderly, just mid 60's, but the delay in the initial diagnosis by a GP was negligence,(come back in a month if the swelling in their hands and feet has not gone down, they said),nothing less. It took a 999 call as they had no symptoms until it became critical very suddenly.
It has seriously affected their quality of life as we now have to have carers as they are no longer independent for anything.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Morrisons was the same yesterday Lindsey with fridges empty. I thought the world had ended when I couldn't get my preferred frozen crinkle cut chips :D

Have a great cruise :thumbup:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Not surprised you are stressed Lindsey but hope everything gets sorted and you have a lovely uneventful cruise.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Mum in laws care home has been in lockdown for two weeks due to flu.

We've just rang and they are ok for a visit on Saturday, so she'll get her card and flowers on time.

Have a safe journey and a wonderful cruise.
Empty vessels .. and all that

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

So sorry to read about your mum, Lindsey and your OH wolfie.

Tesco’s stock is awful. I have just had to order from them AND Sainsbury’s to get what I want tomorrow!

Have a great cruise x
Gill

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I mentioned to the Sainsbury's delivery driver about Tesco, and he said Sainsbury's were in better shape delivery wise.

Anyway my fridges and freezers are now full for my husband and son to look after themselves. Son has kindly taken some time off work to help out as my husband's arm is no better and is waiting to see the neurologist in April.

Lindsey

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lynda and David »

Hello Lyndsey

Hope your Mum gets well soon and you manage to get away on your cruise tomorrow. We're on Aurora tomorrow on the Northern Lights cruise so excited.

Take care

Lynda x

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Lynda and David wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 11:14
Hello Lyndsey

Hope your Mum gets well soon and you manage to get away on your cruise tomorrow. We're on Aurora tomorrow on the Northern Lights cruise so excited.

Take care

Lynda x

Did hubby get his tooth sorted Lynda.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Am on Oriana for some sun in the Canaries. Just checked the weather forecast and it's looking good. Sunshine and temps of 22 degrees.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Whynd1 wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 11:41
Am on Oriana for some sun in the Canaries. Just checked the weather forecast and it's looking good. Sunshine and temps of 22 degrees.
Have a lovely time Lindsey. Pottering about in the Canaries in the warm sunshine is just what you need now to help you relax.

Maureen

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Thank you

All packed now

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Stephen wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 11:19
Hello Lyndsey

Take care

Lynda x

Did hubby get his tooth sorted Lynda.
It fell out last week but he didn't tell me it had come out until the following day. I think he was worried what I was going to say :lol: I give up Stephen, he still won't let me book him a checkup with a dentist just says he'll wait until we come back from holiday.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Hopefully it was the correct tooth that fell out :D

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Hello Lyndsey

Take care

Lynda x
We're also Northern Lights bound on Balmoral, leaving tomorrow. As far as I can see, we'll be in Alta on the same day as you on March 16th. We were on Aurora for 7 weeks last year and will be back for 3 and a half weeks later this year, so we thought we'd better do something different for the Northern Lights. It's our first time on Fred, and we are looking forward to it, but it will be strange seeing Aurora in Alta when she's not 'our' ship. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I'm usually in a bit of a panic before I go on a cruise, but I'm quite calm this time. I think it's because we've now had a few longer cruises, and just two weeks away seems almost like a short break. Although I was a bit concerned with all the bad weather last week, but all the snow in the south has gone now.

Hope you are able to get away and have a good cruise, Lindsay, and that your mum makes a good recovery

Hope your wife is feeling a lot better now, Wolfie
Gill

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

In Gran Canadian today. Nice and sunny.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Lovely in Swansea too Lindsey.
Gill

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Hello Gill

Hope you are enjoying your cruise, we returned home today. I watched Balmoral arrive in Alta on Friday, we got there Thursday lunchtime. I have to say Alta was our favourite port on this cruise, we went out on a trip to find the Northern Lights on Thursday evening and saw a really good display. We enjoyed the cruise so much that we are planning on booking again for March 2020. I’ll going to write a short report when I get a chance. Hope you managed to miss the storm on Saturday and Sunday, we sailed out of Alta straight into it and it wasn’t pleasant.

Lynda x

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Lynda and David wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:42
Hello Gill

Hope you are enjoying your cruise, we returned home today. I watched Balmoral arrive in Alta on Friday, we got there Thursday lunchtime. I have to say Alta was our favourite port on this cruise, we went out on a trip to find the Northern Lights on Thursday evening and saw a really good display. We enjoyed the cruise so much that we are planning on booking again for March 2020. I’ll going to write a short report when I get a chance. Hope you managed to miss the storm on Saturday and Sunday, we sailed out of Alta straight into it and it wasn’t pleasant.

Lynda x
Dare we ask about the tooth :shock: :shock:

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

david63 wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 18:51
Hello Gill

Hope you are enjoying your cruise, we returned home today. I watched Balmoral arrive in Alta on Friday, we got there Thursday lunchtime. I have to say Alta was our favourite port on this cruise, we went out on a trip to find the Northern Lights on Thursday evening and saw a really good display. We enjoyed the cruise so much that we are planning on booking again for March 2020. I’m going to write a short report when I get a chance. Hope you managed to miss the storm on Saturday and Sunday, we sailed out of Alta straight into it and it wasn’t pleasant.

Lynda x
Dare we ask about the tooth :shock: :shock:
The tooth fell out a few days before we went on our cruise. I only found out the following day when he casually mentioned it had fallen out and now he's keeping quiet in case I book him a dentist appointment. :lol:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Hello Gill

Lynda x
HI, glad you had a good time. We saw the lights from the ship on the 14th and 15th March, We did the Northern Lights trip on the 16th, but it was a cloudier evening , and we only saw a little through breaks in the clouds. Some people did the excursion from Tromso on the 15th. and they had a really good display.

It was nice seeing Aurora in Alta. Fortunately, I liked Balmoral, so I wasn't tempted to jump ship, but it'll be good to get back to the old girl in September.

Once I've got myself sorted out, I'll do a report - it'll be generally positive.
Gill

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”