Shareholder Benefit & GDPR

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Shareholder Benefit & GDPR

Post by Ranchi »

We have P&O shares with a well known bank’s sharedealing service & we just e-mail a redacted screenshot of the shareholding to Carnival to arrange OBC. What I am about to describe won’t affect the way I arrange OBC but may affect those who have shares held by a proxy and usually arrange fir the proxy to contact P&O to arrange OBC.
We hold shares with another company which also has a shareholder benefit which needs to be applied for annually. In the past a phone call to our sharedealing bank was enough to get them to contact the company to arrange for the benefit to be applied. I phoned the sharedealing company last week and today I received a letter informing me that due to GDPR they were no longer able to divulge details of my shareholding to a third party. I mention this as it may affect people who hold P&O shares with a proxy as this process will probably take longer to organise and if you are applying for OBC at short notice then there may be a problem.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shareholder Benefit & GDPR

Post by david63 »

As long as you have given explicit instructions to your shareholding bank there is nothing in GDPR to prevent them carrying out your instructions.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

The recent request I made to our share dealing company had changed from a phone request to an e mail request, GDPR was not mentioned but maybe that was the reason for the change
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

That’s interesting. My request was by telephone and the agent I spoke to didn’t suggest there was going to be a problem. I may phone them on Monday & ask if their response would be different if I sent a written request.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”