Food Heroes changes?

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Food Heroes changes?

Post by CaroleF »

There appear to have been some changes in the Food Heroes personnel. I read that there's been some sort of furore about Atul Kochhar because of some comments he made on a tweet that were deemed to be Anti Islamic. A Dubai hotel has terminated his contract. Looking at the P&O site I put in 'Food Heroes' and there he was gone! On another site I read that P&O didn't know what to do about Sindu as that's the name of one of his restaurants in this country - whether that's true about P&O I don't know.

Also looking at the chefs mentioned there are now only three - Marco Pierre White, Eric Lanlard and Olly Smith. What's happened to James Martin, does anyone know? I thought he was still doing the Cookery Classes on Britannia.

Carole

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Food Heroes changes?

Post by david63 »

CaroleF wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 11:08
On another site I read that P&O didn't know what to do about Sindu as that's the name of one of his restaurants in this country
His restaurant in England is Benares and he also has one in Ireland.

It does appear though that he is no longer a "hero" although the Sindhu name still exists and is planned for Iona (but I am sure changing the name for a restaurant on a ship that has not been built yet would not be a problem)

The furore about Atul was, in my view, a lot of over reaction by the media. If an Indian cannot criticise another Indian then what is the world coming to?

Anyway with all of his new ventures with Million Pound Menu he probably does not have time for P&O any more - pity really as he was such a nice chap on the several occasions that I have met him.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

And Sindhu is our favourite Select Dining venue. I hope a storm in a teacup doesn't end it.

If MPW, a foul and loud mouth in my mind, is good enough for P&O, surely Atul is?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

As usual, over reaction from the offended club.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... slam-tweet

johnm51
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by johnm51 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 15:42
And Sindhu is our favourite Select Dining venue. I hope a storm in a teacup doesn't end it.

If MPW, a foul and loud mouth in my mind, is good enough for P&O, surely Atul is?
Bumped into MPW on board Ventura a year or two ago as he was returning to the ship. I happened to mention that we had enjoyed a meal in the White Room the night before. He pulled my wife and I to one side, thanked us for the compliment and gave us his undivided attention for several minutes. I found him to be a most charming and polite chap not at all like his TV persona, largely developed by the producers i suspect.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Lucky you, he simply ignored ( unlike everybody else ) us on the Adonia Naming Do …. pig ignorant is my view :thumbdown:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 15:42

I have to say we have met him twice and forums him to be quiet plesent and a perfert gentleman. He chatted to my for 10 to 15 minutes. On the second occasion was in a lift getting back on the ship where he chatted to all in the lift and was charming.

I suspect he puts on the act for the TV.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

When we were on Oceana in the evening Cafe Jardin reverted to his restaurant. He was on board whennwe dined in there and came and sat next to us. We chatted about Manchester United I seem to remember. He was perfectly charming and somewhere I have a photo of all of us.

Lindsey

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

daib GC wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 17:47
I suspect he puts on the act for the TV.
You may be right Dai. I confess I have no personal experience of him. However, in choosing your ambassadors it has to be the public persona that counts. Atul is charming face to face but it seems to be a public gaffe causing him trouble.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Never met MPW, and perhaps I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but he's not someone I'd particularly go out of my was to speak to.
Can't see he him taking over Sindu. It's a bit like putting a cockney in charge of a Chinese resturaunt. It just doesn't look right

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Manoverboard wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 17:41
Lucky you, he simply ignored ( unlike everybody else ) us on the Adonia Naming Do …. pig ignorant is my view :thumbdown:
Yes I remember that Mob...perhaps his none appearance had something to do with all the commotion in our area......you know, when Stephen? Or was it me toppled a tray of champagne flutes to the floor..Oops!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

daib GC wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 17:47
On the second occasion was in a lift getting back on the ship where he chatted to all in the lift and was charming.
We were in a lift with him on Oriana once and there were the three of us in the lift. All the time he was "playing" with his phone and never looked up or acknowledged us.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Whynd1 wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 18:00
......he came and sat next to us. We chatted about Manchester United.......
Oh Lindsey, you shouldn't have had to put up with that. :thumbdown:

I'd have asked to move tables !

Manchester United?!? Talk about lowering the tone :lol:
Last edited by Dennis The Menace on 03 Aug 2018, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 18:42
Manoverboard wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 17:41
Yes I remember that Mob...perhaps his none appearance had something to do with all the commotion in our area......you know, when Stephen? Or was it me toppled a tray of champagne flutes to the floor..Oops!

It was definitely you you clumsy s*d. Pi**ed as a f*rt
Last edited by Stephen on 04 Aug 2018, 09:39, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”