Wifi on Board

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Wifi on Board

Post by johnds »

Is the speed of Wifi on board quicker on the ship's computers in the library than the wifi in the cabins?

Can someone please remind of the current wifi charges or where to find them

Thank you
John

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wifi on Board

Post by david63 »

The current prices are here - if you buy it as a "gift" before your cruise it is cheaper.

Not sure about the on board computers as I have never used them, but the Wi-Fi connection is certainly more robust in the library (or wherever they are on the ship). I have found that the Wi-Fi speed, and signal strength, can vary, not only round the ship but in the cabin. I suspect that it depends on how many concurrent users there are at any given time. On our last cruise the Internet was definitely better early in a morning, late at night or when a considerable number of passengers were ashore.

Topic author
johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds »

Thank you David
John

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

The charges differ on the various cruise lines and can also be affected by your loyalty grade.

Which line are you asking about ?

Topic author
johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds »

allatc wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 12:33
The charges differ on the various cruise lines and can also be affected by your loyalty grade.

P&O - Baltic class
John

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I wish P&O would offer high grade loyalty members similar benefits to Princess, Celebrity and RCI, who all give some free time.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

johnds wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 13:10
allatc wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 12:33

P&O - Baltic class
I was on Aurora recently. The 'Browse' package was £12.50 for a 24 hour period. You'd get your 10% discount on it. 'Browse' covers general internet browsing and email.

We were away for 24 nights, so we bought a Browse package once a week, normally on a sea day, and had an internet binge. I preferred that, rather than spending time in port trying to find decent wifi - takes up too much precious port time playing around with the internet!
Gill

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Same here Gill. I found if you log on after 3pm it takes you into the next day for the 24 hr period.

Lindsey

Topic author
johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds »

Thanks for the replies
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

towny44 wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 14:00
I wish P&O would offer high grade loyalty members similar benefits to Princess, Celebrity and RCI, who all give some free time.
To an extent I agree John, though on our recent Princess Cruise I weighed up the various financial benefits of Elite versus the overall 10% I'd have got off my on board bill as Caribou on P&O and there was not a lot in it either way. But of course that depends on your personal spend and whether you'd bother to buy the free stuff if it wasn't given away.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 23 Nov 2018, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 11:40
towny44 wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 14:00
To an extent I agree John, though on our recent Princess Cruise I weighed up the various financial benefits of Elite versus the overall 10% I'd have got off my on board bill as Caribou on P&O and there was not a lot in it either way. But of course that depends on your personal spend and whether you'd bother to buy the free stuff if it wasn't given away.
I find that my OBC generally means that I make very little savings from the 10% discount, and once the service charge goes I might struggle to spend all the OBC without more specialty dining or extra spending in the perfume shop. But I do make use of the free Wi-Fi where its given, where its not I try to find free wifi ashore.
John

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 11:56
and once the service charge goes I might struggle to spend all the OBC
Perhaps we should start a campaign to allow unused OBC to be transferred to somebody else - I, or to be more precise Mrs63, never have a problem spending OBC (and more!!)
But I do make use of the free Wi-Fi where its given, where its not I try to find free wifi ashore.
Spoked like a true Yorkshireman

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 13:03
But I do make use of the free Wi-Fi where its given, where its not I try to find free wifi ashore.
Spoked like a true Yorkshireman
I didn't get where I am today by paying thru' the nose for ships wifi ;)
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

You must get more OBC than we've managed lately or you're failing in your drinking duty as a Yorkshireman!
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 23 Nov 2018, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 16:36
You must get more OBC than we've managed lately or you're failing in your drinking duty as a Yorkshireman!
I now take the OBC and use parking4cruises rather than CPS, and I also have the shareholder benefit, plus recently we have had a few complaints which gave me extra, but generally less than some late bookers seem to get. I also try not be drunk in charge of a wheelchair, I can run into enough heels when sober .
John

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 11:40
But of course that depends on your personal spend and whether you'd bother to buy the free stuff if it wasn't given away.
We are elite on Princess mainly due to PO cruises. On our recent Sapphire Princess 12 night cruise we were entitled to 250 minutes each of free internet use. At the end of the cruise I still had 183 minutes left and OH had 250 minutes left because we hadn't bothered to register him. Therefore, we wouldn't pay for it and sometimes it is just as easy for us to sit in a cafe on land and use their free wifi while we have a cup of coffee.

Obviously if it was really necessary to keep in touch with home we would use all the free on Princess plus pay for extra.

Maureen

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”