Cruise Criteria

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Cruise Criteria

Post by Midlandslass »

When choosing your cruise what is most important to you?
We tend to prioritise by the cruise line and itinerary.
Do you look forward to trying new cruise lines or do you stick with the same one?
Is sailing from the UK a priority or are you happy to fly?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Cruise Criteria

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We prefer to sail from the UK but sometimes have little or no choice, for example to do Alaska and New York, sailing one way and spending a few days before flying the other.

We like to try new places so will look at itineraries and sometimes want to try a particular ship. So we're doing the Fjords again to try Queen Victoria. However that's no hardship as we love the Fjords and could go every year.

We've tried five lines so far, arriving at our preferred list of P&O, Princess and Cunard.

There are others we won't try because we don't fancy their ships. A balcony is our minimum choice. And some are simply out of our price range. We may try Saga's new ships in the future but want to do a ship visit first to see if they're really worth the extra money, and they have none planned at present.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Sailing from the UK is important to us, however we are flying for a bit of winter sun this coming winter.

We've only cruised with P&O and RCI so have no experience of others.
We both feel that P&O suits us best. We like the Britishness of it and have met many genuinely lovely people.

Obviously sailing from the UK is somewhat limiting, but we consider that the cruise is the holiday and the port destinations are a kind of bonus.
We've done all of the major ports of call , probably more than once, but still enjoy them.
When in port, we tend to go native as much as possible and try as much as we can in the time allowed.
We particularly like trying local food and avoid anywhere too touristy.
My Spanish and Italian are both passable, so we head off the beaten track.

I personally would be quite happy never to go to Gibraltar or Lisbon again.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Itinerary has been the main driver for every booking we have made. We try ( within reason ) to avoid repeat Ports, Ships and Cruise Lines. The planned exception is was P&O's Adonia because of her size and our lovely experience on her ' Naming Do ' in 2011.

The Cruise Line quickly became of less importance to us, we discovered that we were equally at home on any Line from Viking to Ocean Village and everything else in between. We gradually developed a preference for smaller ships with their more diverse and Port intensive itineraries.

Our holidays for umpteen years have switched between Euroland or Worldwide Sea Cruises, Riverboat Cruises and Coach Tours. Flying was not an issue but it is now so we are presently far more restricted …. so do at least one of the Worldie Sectors while you can is my message to y'all.

:wave:

Last edited by Manoverboard on 26 Apr 2019, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Southampton
Itinerary
Cruise line (mainly P&O)

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Southampton
Cruise line (P&O or Cunard)
Size of ship (Aurora, Arcadia, QV or QE. Pity QM2 doesn't do more imaginative itineraries)
Itinerary Northern ports, Baltic and Mediterranean)

Pity Saga are just so expensive and we are so far away from their ports we are outside their 'free transport to the port' scheme so it would cost even more. We did enjoy our one and only cruise with Saga though on the old Saga Rose.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Midlandlass,

(1) Cruise duration….anything less than 10 days doesn’t really appeal to me.
(2) Cabin…we don’t cruise that often but when we do we always opt for a balcony cabin.
(3) Sea days….one/two days at sea, one day off preferably.
(4) Dinning…Table for 6/8…. cos I’m a sociable chappie.
(5) Destination…anywhere Mob recommends :thumbup: :)

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Not forgetting:

Mid-ships
Balcony cabin
D deck cabins favourite at the moment on P&O Ventura and Azura
Freedom dining
Queen bed configuration .....although not sure why these days! ;)

Topic author
Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

Interesting that not many of you have mentioned price :) Must be a very well heeled crowd on this forum :D
My partner and I prefer the smaller ships, the largest ship I have cruised on was the Crown Princess around South America and to me it always seemed quite crowded.
QV is the largest ship I cruise on, I don't think I would like to go on anything larger.
Flying itself is not a problem to me but all the hassle at the airports is becoming increasingly so. I enjoyed reading about GillD's first class experience but I am too mean to pay the prices :D
A balcony is a must particularly when we're travelling to the Caribbean and the Med. I like the cabins facing aft, fortunately the 'motion of the ocean' doesn't affect me. I always choose a cabin between passenger decks and avoid any with public areas above.
I prefer anytime dining, so when on QV we generally travel in the Grills or Britannia Club, the other cruise lines we travel on have 'anytime'.
Last edited by Midlandslass on 27 Apr 2019, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

For me, not so much my husband, Southampton preferably. My recent experiences with airports has reinforced the fact that I much prefer going from Southampton - especially as we are only 20 minutes from the port!
Mainly P&O. We have tried Cunard and Fred Olsen. Wouldn't mind trying Cunard again. Would like to see if we can get a last minute deal on Oceania, we have friends who've recently been with them and were very fulsome in their praise. If P&O carry on getting rid of their smaller ships - I'd call them medium size ships - then we may be forced to look elsewhere.
Have to have a balcony, wouldn't go without one.
Itinerary is more important to my husband than me; I just love being on a ship. We haven't done any far East or Australasia cruises yet, not sure if we will. I'd be happy doing a World Cruise but not sure my husband is up for it. The longest we've done is the 65 nights round South America which we both loved. I'd happily do the Far East or Australia as long as we sailed both ways but John not keen. I just couldn't face flying to/from Australia in economy.
So for the future we'll see. We are doing the Canada/USA cruise in September, a new departure for us. We've visited both places on a land holiday but never by sea. We have done the Atlantic crossing several times but to/from the Caribbean which we both love.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Itinerary is key, the more port days the better.
Definitely fly cruise since I don't like wasting several days of my holiday in just getting to the destination. We did however go out of Southampton for our Baltic cruise last year and I was amazed at the slick and professional operation P&O have there.
We generally prefer somewhere warm so the Caribbean or the latest offering of the UAE would be top of our list.
The overall price is important, but we only book an inside cabin (we spend so little time in the cabin that I would consider expenditure on this to be a bit wasteful - however we have booked outside when the price has been right and have been upgraded to outside cabins on a couple of occasions (by RCI - never P&O).
The size of the ship is also important I prefer the larger ships to the smaller ones - Oceana would be about the smallest we would be comfortable with but (back to an earlier point) itinerary is key - if the right itinerary came up and it was only doable by smaller ship then we may consider it.
We don't do the dressing up any more and prefer freedom dining smart casual all the way.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Well Midlands Lass price certainly affects my decision before booking a cruise - as a solo traveller the supplements play a big part in deciding which cabin to book. I'm reluctant to book an inside cabin - I just like to have a view and dependent on where I am going I am happy with a window but much prefer a balcony particularly on Caribbean cruises where I know I will use it. I'm quite a good sailor so I'm not too fussy about position of cabin.

Itinerary plates a big part in booking a cruise and although I have sailed with P&O more than any other cruise line I've sailed with Princess, Celebrity, Thomson's, RCI and just once on both Costa and Cruise & Maritime because they were going where I wanted to go. I prefer sailing out of Southampton rather than fly cruising but often no alternative if going to the Caribbean as we did last Christmas.

A week is never long enough - the longest I've done is 35 nights but I have done several 20+ nights - often think about a world cruise but can't imagine how much it would cost :crazy: I like sea days so the trip across the Atlantic to the Caribbean I find enjoyable too.

I prefer freedom dining and actually I'm quite happy to go on the bigger ships - I think the layout of the dining rooms on Britannia gives you the impression of being on a much smaller ship. I've already booked Iona - willing to give it a try. Such a shame that Aurora is now child free as the family loved it - I imagine the supplements will be even higher when Oriana leaves the fleet.

Since my son and family caught the cruising bug I have at least one cruise a year with them and the in-laws and quite often have been to the ports before but it doesn't bother me I just love being on a ship :thumbup:
Janis

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Europe nowadays as husband no longer able to get reasonably priced travel insurance and hopefully with some new ports or some that we want to revisit.

Preferably from Southampton as we live on the Isle of Wight so an easy journey.

Either PO or Princess but did Thomson cruises for some years and would be prepared to consider them again.

Minimum of 14 nights and not too many sea days.

A reasonably priced inside cabin so that we can save money for 2 or 3 cruises a year.

Maximum size of ship Azura or Ventura.

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

hi midland lass

1. price: (as there are three of us, and only one person paying! lol)
2. from Southampton: , I love sea days, time to unwind
3. itinerary,: although I don't care just glad to be on the ship.
4. as above not bothered on size, but prefer the newer ships on p&o, Ventura Azura or Acadia. did not gel with Oriana but loved oceana.
regards gilly.

welshynurse
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by welshynurse »

Price for us, and also due to work schedules often it's a case of whats going that particular week. Haven't tried any other lines other than PO but would be open to it.
Having said that we booked Iona because we wanted to try it but haven't actually got the time off work yet...might have 'flu' that week!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

welshynurse wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 17:37
Price for us, and also due to work schedules often it's a case of whats going that particular week. Haven't tried any other lines other than PO but would be open to it.
Having said that we booked Iona because we wanted to try it but haven't actually got the time off work yet...might have 'flu' that week!
There'll be a lot of it about :crazy:

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Itinerary, Date, Price, Cruise line, in that order.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

General area rather than specific itinerary.
Cabin (this permits our dining choice of QG)
Ship/cruise line (QM2 always first choice) or any Cunard then Oceania/Regent
Price/duration
Sea days - we love them best.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

If we want to cruise somewhere in particular we tend to book and then ' adjust ' our cabin type to reflect what we wish to pay … the major exception for us was during P&O's period of ' Get-a-way ' marketing when we happily entered their ' last one to blink ' gets the lowest price competition. We were very happy to book a number of cruises in the cheapest balcony cabins on Adonia because if they were sold it seemed that P&O would upgrade the customer to a higher grade balcony cabin thus leaving the two cheapest ones available until the cut off date.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We now prioritise by Itinerary, date, cruise line then price.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I think the most important aspect for us is sailing from the UK. I fell like I'm done with flying. I don't mind the actual flying, but I'm not keen on the general stress and hassle of airports these days.

Apart from that, we look for something new for each cruise. Either/or a port that is new to us or a ship we haven't been on before.

Then the general region the itinerary covers. For example, the last time we went on a Baltic cruise was 2007, so it's likely this will figure in our plans within the next few years.

Finally cost - we have a certain price that we are comfortable to pay for a cruise, and sometimes for a longer cruise we have to compromise a bit, and not have a balcony, so that the cost of the cruise is in our comfort zone.
Gill

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”