First Officer
First Officer

Re: Sail away

Post by Not so ancient mariner »

Manoverboard wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 11:50
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 11:47
Manoverboard wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 11:33
The way back cruises were altogether different
Certainly were. No ensuite toilets for a start….
I don't go back that far but I'll take your word for it …. ;)
The first cruise (though technically it was a voyage) I had with an en-suite toilet was in June 1967 on MV Achille Lauro. It was a somewhat eventful trip. First of all we had an unscheduled call at Aden to pick up British service familes being evacuated for the trouble there. Then we anchored overnight off Port Tawfiq (? spelling) overnight before transiting the canal the following day. We were allowed to go ashore, but the atmosphere was tense to put it mildly! Some passengers went on an excursion to the pyramids the following day, but we stayed on boad for the transit through the canal. It was a surreal experience having lunch down in the MDR, and all you could see though the windows was sand and palm trees going past! That evening we stopped at Port Said to pick up the passengers who had been to the pyramids. We were due to stay the night there, but we sailed the moment they were aboard. Not a moment too soon as the six day war broke out some 8 hours later, and the canal was shut for around 8 years.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”