What do you mean ‘I need a visa’

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

What do you mean ‘I need a visa’

Post by Ranchi »

A few years ago we went on one of P&O’s autumn cruises to USA & Canada. Despite all of the information given by P&O ad other warnings regarding ESTAsI was amazed at the queues at the IT room as passengers tried to use the ship’s satellite WiFi to complete their online visa.
I wonder how the following;

A decision to join the full Schengen area by the micro-state could mean UK travellers would have to apply for a mini-visa to visit after Brexit. The EU plans to bring in the European Travel Information and Authorisation System from 2021, which would require non-EU visitors to Schengen countries to fill in forms and pay a small fee to visit. The system is expected to be similar to the US ESTA system that many British travellers are already familiar with. (Independent 21/01/2020)

will affect cruisers on P&O.Certainly any visa fee (& associated shipboard WiFi costs) will take the gloss off ‘a 200 sleeve of No6 & a litre of Baileys’. (I apologise in advance for that last comment😉)

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: What do you mean ‘I need a visa’

Post by towny44 »

If we have to apply for an ETIAS authority to visit EU/schengen countries from next January then that's fine with me, I just hope the on-line application process is as easy and simple as the ESTA.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What do you mean ‘I need a visa’

Post by david63 »

I think that we will have to wait and see what the rules actually are. Some countries (such as Canada) that require a visa/ESTA for "normal" entry to the country waive that requirement for cruise ship passengers. For some countries it is done on board the ship (sometimes with a cost, sometimes without)

No matter what - 10 minutes on line (every couple of years) before setting off and paying a nominal sum is no great hardship.

The only reason get the queues on board is that people do not read the information that they are given.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”