Bergen

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
welshynurse
Third Officer
Third Officer

Bergen

Post by welshynurse »

We are looking to do the funicular railway in Bergen and I do not particularly want to pay excursion prices. Has anyone ever booked tickets online beforehand? The only site we have found is all in Krona and I'm not sure how it works with exchange rate etc, if it's possible!

It's probably really obvious and easy 🙄

Thanks 😊

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Bergen

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We've done it independently. We didn't book but just got off the ship early to get there before the queues were too bad. I can't remember how we paid. Possibly credit card.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We did it independently too, we didn't buy tickets beforehand. I think there was a shuttle bus into town as we were a way out. We just then walked up to the Funicular Station and bought tickets. I seem to remember it was the first thing we did as soon as we got off the ship. You can either get a tickets both way or walk down. I wasn't up to walking all the way down so we took the Funicular back. Lovely view from the top assuming it's a good day. I've been there twice about the same time of year - June. First time with John it was beautiful sun, the second time with a friend it tipped it down all day and we stayed on the ship!

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

It rains three days out of five in Bergen !

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

didn't rain when we were there.

we were parked next the the Norwegian Royal Yacht in the main part of town, not in the commercial dock, so an easy walk thro the Bryggen to the funicular.

I don't do queues, and we went up - so there wasn't much of a queue!

I think there might have been a shuttle further into town
Meg
x

Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

Last time we were in Bergen we did this fjord cruise by Rodne
https://rodne.no/en/fjordcruise/fjord-c ... ostraumen/

You could do this in the morning and then walk to the near by funicular when you return.
I've done the funicular and there is not a lot to it once you have seen the view unless you want to go hiking.
The cruise ship charges for this ride are crazy, easy to do it on your own and over a certain age you will get a reduction, just take proof of age, preferably a passport.

Topic author
welshynurse
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by welshynurse »

Thanks everyone!

Will just turn up and get tickets there and then in that case. Last time I went we did the excursion but im not paying that much! I know there isn't a huge amount up there but I thought my daughter would like to go on the train and see the troll at the top.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

If you daughter likes Trolls … there are also a whole pile of them in the downtown shops to look at. :thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The weather is hit and miss.

We were there May 2018 and it was absolutely beautiful and very warm. Went again last year in August and it was horrible, cold and pouring down. Still didn't stop us though having a walk round.
Last edited by Stephen on 09 Feb 2020, 10:31, edited 3 times in total.

oldtimer
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by oldtimer »

We did the funicular about 5 years ago worked out at about 7 Euro each, you pass the fish market on the left. It's an easy walk and easy to find.
Last edited by oldtimer on 12 Feb 2020, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Love the fish market and especially at lunch time as it turns into a large restaurant.
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
welshynurse
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by welshynurse »

Thanks will definitely have to investigate the fish market at lunchtime then!

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”