corona virus and P & O actions

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
oldtimer
Third Officer
Third Officer

corona virus and P & O actions

Post by oldtimer »

We were going to book a cruise in May but due to the Corona uncertainties have not yet done so. It would be useful if P& O issued a statement to say that passengers boarding from Southampton or other ports would have temperatures checked as well as signing the usual form to say they don't have a cold. It would also be useful to know the procedure should one or more passengers contact the virus, would all passengers be confined to cabins, and would passengers be given a refund or a free cruise if ship stuck in some foreign port for two weeks.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: corona virus and P & O actions

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I'm not sure if it answers all your questions but P&O have put out some quite extensive information about how they're handling the virus.

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health ... MhmConCHeo

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I think that statement should now be updated due to the number of new cases in Europe. That was posted on the 18th February.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 17:35
I'm not sure if it answers all your questions but P&O have put out some quite extensive information about how they're handling the virus.

I'm not sure that this statement and any future statements will alay passengers fears that if one passenger tests positive the rest know they will be quarantined.

Nice of the Cruise lines to keep passengers informed but in reality the message cruise lines are not releasing is the one that reads...."we must stay afloat irrespective of the cost to passengers".

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Onelife wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 19:09
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 17:35

I'm not sure that this statement and any future statements will alay passengers fears that if one passenger tests positive the rest know they will be quarantined.

Nice of the Cruise lines to keep passengers informed but in reality the message cruise lines are not releasing is the one that reads...."we must stay afloat irrespective of the cost to passengers".
:shh: :shh: :shh:
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Keefy, I think that a lot of businesses will be trying to stay afloat during this crisis, and they will all be trying not to haemorrhage too much money, and customers are their only or main source of revenue.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Some answers and more related questions in the other Coronavirus Topic ...
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

towny44 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 08:54
Keefy, I think that a lot of businesses will be trying to stay afloat during this crisis, and they will all be trying not to haemorrhage too much money, and customers are their only or main source of revenue.
Indeed John, but most business employees won't be confined to a space no bigger than a couple of indoor football pitches for a couple of weeks.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I really think we have to bear with the cruise companies. They cannot predict what the situation will be in 3 months, 6 months or a year. Even the health professionals can't do that. So inconvenient as it is, if they do cancel cruises or ports it won't be until much closer to sailing time. If we choose to cancel, which I can understand some people wish to do, we have to accept the usual T's and C's. If a cruise goes ahead without us, which on current information most will, we can't expect the companies to generously finance our decision.

So far one ship and one hotel in the whole world have been quarantined in what I appreciate would be trying circumstances. But that's a very small chance at present. You could just as likely be trapped in a B&B in Blackpool! Or in your own home. So we're not cancelling anything unless or until there is much more information about specific risks on our itineraries. That applies to both cruise and other holidays.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We are due to go from Southampton on 10th April to France and Spain - Saga, not P&O. We will just wait and see what happens - it's another 6 weeks so who knows what the situation will be by then.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I’ve got a cruise Whitsun week with the family to Guernsey, Vigo, Lisbon and Oporto - all paid for - really hope the situation will be clearer by then. I also have one booked for July on Iona which will need to be paid for in April I think so I’ll wait and see what P&O decide to do - I’m not cancelling yet.
Janis

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

I agree with your viewpoint Mervyn.

It is also important to keep this is proportion. There maybe a great many disappointments ahead but it is something we have to accept.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Just had this through.

At P&O Cruises we take your wellbeing very seriously. And although the risk to our guests and crew is low, we recognise the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) situation is potentially unsettling. Rest assured that across the company, our experts are working collaboratively with the World Health Organization (WHO) and Public Health England (PHE) to ensure you can still enjoy the holiday you deserve.

Sailing can provide the flexibility to adapt to new situations
We are closely monitoring the situation and are able to react quickly to any arising challenges. We have, for example, recently made some changes to Arcadia’s World Cruise itinerary to avoid Asia and minimise any risks for our guests and crew. This level of agility is an example of how well we are positioned to deliver the holiday you’ve been looking forward to.

Protecting guests and crew
All of our ships have a Medical Centre on board and we have a whole team of medical experts ashore. These teams are closely following latest advice from the U.S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), Public Health England (PHE) and UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) to put special control measures into effect across the P&O Cruises fleet

For everyone’s safety, we will be conducting pre-boarding screenings for all guests, crew and visitors in all ports of embarkation. Further medical evaluation will be carried out if necessary. Please note: as part of these measures, guests and crew who have travelled from or through mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau within 14 days of embarkation will not be permitted to board our ships.

Following advice, we are also applying a further precautionary measure at this time; anyone who has travelled through or from some of the currently identified higher risk locations (please see our latest Health Advisory for current list) within 14 days of embarkation will undergo an enhanced pre-boarding screening to assess whether they should be permitted to board.

Individuals who, within 14 days of embarkation, have had close contact with anyone suspected or diagnosed as having coronavirus (COVID-19), or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19), will not be permitted to board our ships.

All guests and crew visiting our on-board Medical Centres with symptoms of any respiratory illness will be risk-assessed for coronavirus (COVID-19) and action will be taken as necessary.

Working with the relevant public health authorities, environmental disinfection on board will be performed in line with the highest level of hygiene.

We’re a trusted British brand
As a hugely experienced and trusted British brand, we’re well placed to give you a fantastic experience ashore and on board. The vast majority of our holidays feature full days in port, and many cruises also include evenings or overnights in port which enable you to explore the local surroundings. On many of our adventures you can sail roundtrip from our home port of Southampton for added peace of mind.

All of these measures, combined with our ongoing vigilance, make us confident that you can have complete peace of mind when holidaying with P&O Cruises.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

This made me smile

Coronavirus: Can my pet get it, and other questions https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51176409

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Whynd1 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 15:40
Just had this through.
We have just received the same, curiously not only for our upcoming Caribbean trip but also one of the cruises we have booked for next year as well.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I’ve had two emails from P&O this afternoon relating to my Whitsun and July cruises but curiously not the Christmas cruise - are they thinking or may be hoping like me that it will all be over or contained or a cure produced by then - let’s hope so :thumbup:
Janis

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Jan Rosser wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 17:37
I’ve had two emails from P&O this afternoon relating to my Whitsun and July cruises but curiously not the Christmas cruise - are they thinking or may be hoping like me that it will all be over or contained or a cure produced by then - let’s hope so :thumbup:
We have had a notification for our Christmas cruise (J120) on Arcadia for December 2021 so we will be well prepared. :lol:

Maureen

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I had one for a cruise booked for August 21.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Just checked,I have NOT received one for Oct 20 cruise on Arcadia to Norway.

Clophill4
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Clophill4 »

Got one for 1 P&O cruise (But it went to spam)
Nothing for 2nd P&O (Jan 21)

Nothing heard from Princess re May cruise

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Whynd1 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 18:06
I had one for a cruise booked for August 21.
I have a cruise booked for August 2021 but not heard anything about that either - oh well I’m sure they will communicate when they want the balance :lolno:
Janis

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I had one about half an hour ago, for our weekend in July.

Of great concern our son is coming especially for the weekender - we’re taking the whole family for Tony’s 70th - and he lives in Malaysia! Just hope he’s allowed to board!
Gill

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”