Fly cruises in 2021

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Fly cruises in 2021

Post by bassman67 »

We're booked on Azura for an Adriatic/Aegean cruise departing 13th May 2021. Initially, being an optimist, I thought by then the travel situation would have stabilised and cruising will be back on the agenda. The latest news regarding airlines is somewhat disconcerting, however, and the cruise industry may be struggling to find carriers for their passengers to the Med and the Caribbean. Will fly cruises still be a viable option next year?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fly cruises in 2021

Post by david63 »

bassman67 wrote: 01 May 2020, 09:41
Will fly cruises still be a viable option next year?
If I knew the answer to that then I would have tomorrow's winning Lottery numbers - which I don't!

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I may well be talking a load of rubbish but my guess is that Cruises will bounce back quicker than other holiday options.....l say this because of the demographics of those who cruise e.g retired sitting on reasonable pensions?

With regard to fly cruises, then yes l do think they will be an option if its straight off the plane onto a cruise, however the cruise destinations could be very limited.
Last edited by Onelife on 01 May 2020, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I don't know about fly cruises but I read yesterday that Cunard bookings are up 244% last month and most Grills cabins are sold out for 2021, maybe with people who've missed out this year splashing out on something special.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 01 May 2020, 11:46
Cunard bookings are up 244% last month
Bookings may well be up but will sailings and will those passengers be allowed to sail?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

david63 wrote: 01 May 2020, 11:50
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 01 May 2020, 11:46
Cunard bookings are up 244% last month
Bookings may well be up but will sailings and will those passengers be allowed to sail?
A good question and another matter entirely.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We have a Fly/Cruise from Malta on Azura in Sept 21, hopefully all will be well by then.
Mel

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Fly cruises. No thanks

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

We're booked on an Azura fly/cruise next February.

two questions '

1. Will the cruise be operating
2. Will we want to go on it if Covid 19 vaccination is not available before we go.

Make our mind up time will be when the balance is due.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I think it is too early at the moment to know if Azura's fly cruise programme will go ahead in 2021, but I feel sure that P&O will be trying to get as many cruises sailing as possible. The problem is that until they know which ports will be accepting cruise ships they won't have any better guess than we do. However I think the itineraries will probably be changed from those currently advertised.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Onelife wrote: 01 May 2020, 11:31
I may well be talking a load of rubbish but my guess is that Cruises will bounce back quicker than other holiday options.....l say this because of the demographics of those who cruise e.g retired sitting on reasonable pensions?

With regard to fly cruises, then yes l do think they will be an option if its straight off the plane onto a cruise, however the cruise destinations could be very limited.
I think the demographics of cruisers could well be a reason that cruises may not bounce back very quickly.

Nothing much will change until we get a safe, effective vaccine and a mass vaccination programme. 18 months has been mentioned for this, and that seems ambitious. Therefore the FCO advice for the over 70's and the vulnerable not to cruise will stay in force for some considerable time to come. Even if some over 70's decided that the advice didn't apply to them, I'm don't think that they would be insured to travel (and any insurance wouldn't cover C19 anyway)

Also, if cruises did start up again, I think they'd look different to what we had before. Would people, especially those at most risk, want to live in a closed environment, where they have to think about social distancing all the time? It doesn't sound much like a holiday to me.

Personally, I won't be booking any cruises for at least three years - I want to see what the on board experience looks like in the post COVID 19 world, and if there's further outbreaks of COVID 19 on the any cruise ships. I'm not even in the most at risk category - I would think at risk people would be at least as cautious as me. I've got cruises booked for 2021 and 2022, and I'm not keen on the idea of going ahead with them - I will have to wait and see.
Gill

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Gill W wrote: 01 May 2020, 16:25
Onelife wrote: 01 May 2020, 11:31

I think the demographics of cruisers could well be a reason that cruises may not bounce back very quickly.

Nothing much will change until we get a safe, effective vaccine and a mass vaccination programme. 18 months has been mentioned for this, and that seems ambitious. Therefore the FCO advice for the over 70's and the vulnerable not to cruise will stay in force for some considerable time to come. Even if some over 70's decided that the advice didn't apply to them, I'm don't think that they would be insured to travel (and any insurance wouldn't cover C19 anyway)

Also, if cruises did start up again, I think they'd look different to what we had before. Would people, especially those at most risk, want to live in a closed environment, where they have to think about social distancing all the time? It doesn't sound much like a holiday to me.

Personally, I won't be booking any cruises for at least three years - I want to see what the on board experience looks like in the post COVID 19 world, and if there's further outbreaks of COVID 19 on the any cruise ships. I'm not even in the most at risk category - I would think at risk people would be at least as cautious as me. I've got cruises booked for 2021 and 2022, and I'm not keen on the idea of going ahead with them - I will have to wait and see.
Hi Gill

My rational was on the basis that lockdown had been lifted.

Let’s just hope others don’t take your lead in not booking for three years because if they do the only cruises available will be those of which are on a canal barge… having seen most cruise lines going out of business.

Being more optimistic, when cruising dose resume (next year) there will be plenty of deals out there which will more than likely offset the hike in insurance premiums.
Last edited by Onelife on 01 May 2020, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The Insurers will insure but exclude COVID -19 for every single Country and it's Port of Call until it is virus free, ditto for catching it on the ship.

That cannot possible happen inside a period of three years unless a proven jab and test are firmly in place Worldwide.

imo.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

If you have an existing and continuing annual travel insurance policy then Covid 19 is covered, but not for new policies (which would include single trip)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 01 May 2020, 17:43
If you have an existing and continuing annual travel insurance policy then Covid 19 is covered, but not for new policies (which would include single trip)
Although it is possible that an ' amendment ' could be made to such a Policy.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 01 May 2020, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 01 May 2020, 17:28
The Insurers will insure but exclude COVID -19 for every single Country and it's Port of Call until it is virus free, ditto for catching it on the ship.

That cannot possible happen inside a period of three years unless a proven jab and test are firmly in place Worldwide.

imo.
There is what I believe is a major misunderstanding about the travel insurance and Covid19. Several people have posted this text:-

"Please note, our policies do not provide cover for cancellation, abandonment or curtailment claims if the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises against all or “all but essential” travel. Our policies will also not cover any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2), any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any the above. We also can not cover any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning these viruses. This general exclusion applies to all sections of cover except for the Emergency Medical Expenses section."

If you study this my view is that these exclusions relate in the main to cancellation cover if it's a Covid19 issue, it comments on the current FCO non essential travel guidance which if still in place would mean that no cruises or overseas holidays will be taking place anyway.
The important point is in the final sentence which clearly still includes emergency medical cover, which is things like treatment on board ship, emergency evacuation, treatment in a NHS type hospital and repatriation. Since we would not be travelling if the FCO still advise against it, and any claim for travel costs would be against the cruise line, or a section75 credit card claim, then once the FCO guidance allows me to go abroad on a cruise ship, then the cover would still cover me for any medical problems including Covid19.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Onelife wrote: 01 May 2020, 17:20

Hi Gill

My rational was on the basis that lockdown had been lifted.

Let’s just hope others don’t take your lead in not booking for three years because if they do the only cruises available will be those of which are on a canal barge… having seen most cruise lines going out of business.

Being more optimistic, when cruising dose resume (next year) there will be plenty of deals out there which will more than likely offset the hike in insurance premiums.
The lockdown will no doubt be eased, in the coming weeks and months.

But we’ll most likely be living a socially distant life for a long time time yet, which would be very difficult onboard. Even with social distancing in place, the closed community provides the ideal environment for viruses to be passed on. Therefore, even if lockdown is eased, I really can’t see that the FCO advice to the over 70s and the vulnerable will be changed in the foreseeable future. The over 70s May have travel insurance, but if they are travelling against FCO advice, I don’t think their policy will cover them

People will no doubt make their own decisions, but I can’t see myself spending thousands on a cruise where I have to think about social distancing all the time, and feeling perplexed if someone gets too close. Even if it’s a fantastic deal, it’s not a relaxing holiday.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

My travel insurance company (Staysure) says that, if the policy was bought after 15th March 2020, they won’t cover any claims either directly or indirectly arising from CV, so I assume this includes anything relating to medical expenses.

I can’t see anything to confirm that a renewal of an annual multi trip policy would include CV cover. My renewal is due in October, so I’ll be sure to seek clarification at the time
Gill

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Its all crystal ball gazing at the moment Gill but the betting man in me thinks a vaccine will be found possibly before Christmas …I’ve got good vibes about the Oxford trials.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Gill W wrote: 01 May 2020, 18:50
I can’t see anything to confirm that a renewal of an annual multi trip policy would include CV cover.
Mine was renewed last month and clearly states that I have cover for Covid 19 as the policy was in effect for some date in March that I cannot remember.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Nothing much will change until we get a safe, effective vaccine and a mass vaccination programme. 18 months has been mentioned for this
That may well be true but both the UK and US are of the opinion that they will both have a vaccine by the end of the year.

The problem will be how quick the vaccine can be produced not how long will it take to vaccinate the country - my guess is that with a lot of effort it could be done in four weeks, assuming that the vaccine is available.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

david63 wrote: 01 May 2020, 18:59
Gill W wrote: 01 May 2020, 18:50
I can’t see anything to confirm that a renewal of an annual multi trip policy would include CV cover.
Mine was renewed last month and clearly states that I have cover for Covid 19 as the policy was in effect for some date in March that I cannot remember.
Ours isn't due for renewal till the summer but we have received notification Covid will not be covered on any holidays booked after mid March. I think the same date Gill mentioned. Those booked before then are covered.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

david63 wrote: 01 May 2020, 19:03
Nothing much will change until we get a safe, effective vaccine and a mass vaccination programme. 18 months has been mentioned for this
That may well be true but both the UK and US are of the opinion that they will both have a vaccine by the end of the year.

The problem will be how quick the vaccine can be produced not how long will it take to vaccinate the country - my guess is that with a lot of effort it could be done in four weeks, assuming that the vaccine is available.
The Government have said vaccine production facilities will be in place as and when a vaccine becomes available. Four weeks might seem ambitious David but the economic benefits will definitely help focus minds in getting it done.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I'm sure there'll be priorities when a vaccine is available but I bet so 70 year olds can go.on cruises won't be top of the list
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 01 May 2020, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

A vaccine may be produced in the lab by Christmas, or whenever, but trials will have to follow to ensure it is safe and effective and that could take 18 months in order to cover two further potential outbreak periods.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”