Oriana problems

Discussions about anything related to Oriana

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Oriana problems

Post by oldbluefox »

I see Oriana is in Alta today. Good view of her on the Alta webcam.

http://portalta.borealiswebcam360.com/

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Really good views on the web can with a lovely coloured sky.

Lindsey

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

oldbluefox wrote:

Just got to pray that the cruisers see the Aurora Borealis after coughing up all that money

Maureen

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Kenmo1 wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:

Just got to pray that the cruisers see the Aurora Borealis after coughing up all that money

Maureen
Reasonable chance at the moment if the skies are clear:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ovation/North_New.html

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Alta looks absolutely glorious this morning - bright sunshine on snow. I see Oriana is still there. I hope that's not significant.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Text from sister this morning to say good but not spectacular view of lights between 11pm last night and 1.30 am this morning. It's a start.

I think Oriana is there for another day. The view is gorgeous at the moment.

Maureen

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Have just looked at the webcam ...wow it looks a lovely.
Jo

eleanor00
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by eleanor00 »

There have been problems with "overheating" after leaving Alta and the Captain has announced that there will be a delay leaving Tromso due to severe weather conditions. My neighbour is on the ship and has been affected by Norovirus, she is confined to the cabin for two days.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

eleanor00 wrote:
There have been problems with "overheating" after leaving Alta and the Captain has announced that there will be a delay leaving Tromso due to severe weather conditions. My neighbour is on the ship and has been affected by Norovirus, she is confined to the cabin for two days.
Much the same message received from my sister about 5pm 'Left Alta late, delayed by cooling problem. Now in Tromso 5 hrs late. Very wet so not going ashore. Big storm on the way so don't know when we are leaving'

They will certainly have lots to tell us plus our next door neighbours are on the same cruise so should get a lot of information.

Maureen.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

2.14 pm today. Had a text from sister to say leaving Tromso slowly to avoid force 12 gale and 12 metre waves. They have no idea what time they will get to Bergen.

If you go to www.youtube.com and then type in Oriana March 6th 2014 you will hopefully see what they saw of the Aurora Borealis late that night. It is high speed photography so I had to slow it down and use the full screen but couldn't spot my sister and her husband. The trip was with Glodexplorer.

When I saw this I wished we had done the trip with them but knowing what they might face on the next bit of their journey from Tromso, I'm glad I'm at home on this beautiful sunny day.

Maureen.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Text from sister today at 11.30 am saying still going very slowly and will not now be calling at Bergen.

Maureen

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

Have just received an email from p&o asking us to check in 2hrs later than the time on the ticket to allow them to do a deep clean on oriana before x406 departs owing to noro virus

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks for posting the link Maureen. Those images are just sensational. Would love to see it but not sure I could put up with short days, long nights, cold and wet weather and rough seas. Pleased though that your sister was able to see them as they cannot be guaranteed.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

oldbluefox wrote:
Thanks for posting the link Maureen. Those images are just sensational. Would love to see it but not sure I could put up with short days, long nights, cold and wet weather and rough seas. Pleased though that your sister was able to see them as they cannot be guaranteed.
That's just how I felt, OBF. I'm miserable all winter here as I suffer with the cold so didn't feel I would cope with this type of holiday.

Maureen

Cromwell
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Cromwell »

Frank Manning wrote: 22 Feb 2014, 14:31
Hi Anne,
The stern glands on prop shafts do fail occasionally, they are under quite significant stresses. They used to line them with lignum vitae which was self lubricating in water, but even so it was important not to let the shaft wear down too much or the gland would leak through the stern post. I called up the Echo column but I was a little disappointed to see the old Noro scare being dragged out ....the ship has suffered problems from time to time etc. BBC South Today once trotted out "Of course the Auwowa is an unlucky ship, the bottle failed to break at her launch".

The fact is that all ships, planes, trains, buses, cars etc suffer problems from time to time. However to get back to your point, I have to agree that the passengers seem to be having a good compensation package, and the Company are making the best of things too.
The stern glands were never made of lignum vitae. That was the stern bearing. I thing they stopped using that arrangement in the 1950's. After that they used a white metal oil lubricated shaft bearing with fwd and aft oil seals with header tanks to prevent oil egress and water ingress.

Return to “About Oriana”