Oriana re-fit ?

Discussions about anything related to Oriana

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Oriana re-fit ?

Post by qbman1 »

I'm sure I saw somewhere that Oriana is due a re-fit (probably overdue now !).

Anyone know when ......and what is planned ?

shipslog
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Oriana re-fit ?

Post by shipslog »

I was told that it is at the end of 2016. after cruise X620. but have also heard that could be in 2017 .
we did ask when on board in October but very little was forthcoming

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

According to the P&O website, it's December 2016, although I don't know what's planned
Gill

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Thanks Gill. That makes sense - they usually do it just before the Christmas and Worldie cruises. No doubt they will publish their cunning plans for her nearer the time

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Probably before they send her to replace Adonia on 'fathom' when it proves enormously popular. Cough.

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

The P&O site still says "Oriana is scheduled for refurbishment in December 2016" and she is also listed on Cruise Mapper. All good news as we are on her straight afterwards at Christmas. Wonder whether they will replace the vibration with a new one ?!

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Probably cubie, haven't they had it in several times to address the problem and they haven't managed it yet :lol: still a lovely ship though and my second favourite of the fleet :thumbup: :clap:
Jo

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Yes, I think they have accepted it's part of her "character" by now. I know they replaced the prop shaft that was bent on launching so I can't understand why she still has the shakes ? Maybe the ship is OK and it's the passengers that shake now ?!

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

We got off Oriana today and thoroughly enjoyed our holiday on her but the pink!!! bathroom in A304 could certainly do with a new white bath etc and the wardrobe was so frustrating - hopefully they will install those nice long open wardrobes like the ones on Ventura. The other thing which needs updating is the rubbishy seating system in the Pacific Lounge. I wrote all these comments on my survey. Other than those niggles, it was a lovely cruise with good food, good entertainment, the youngest looking Captain ever and great weather and luckily we were on Freedom dining in the Peninsular Dining Room, so we didn't notice any really bad vibration unlike previous trips on her.

Maureen

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Changing stuff like bathrooms and wardrobes sounds like a major major job so I wouldn't hold my breath!!!!!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Changing stuff like bathrooms and wardrobes sounds like a major major job so I wouldn't hold my breath!!!!!
Not a chance, they are pre-cast and are installed at a very early stage in the ship build. Cutting them out would be very difficult and putting new ones in almost impossible.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Not a chance, they are pre-cast and are installed at a very early stage in the ship build. Cutting them out would be very difficult and putting new ones in almost impossible.[/quote

A pity really as we felt they were the only things showing the age of the Oriana - still, she is not a bad old girl for her age and we would happily go on her again.

Maureen.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Kenmo1 wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Not a chance, they are pre-cast and are installed at a very early stage in the ship build. Cutting them out would be very difficult and putting new ones in almost impossible.[/quote

A pity really as we felt they were the only things showing the age of the Oriana - still, she is not a bad old girl for her age and we would happily go on her again.

Maureen.
Ships like her have a design life of about 30 years so only about 10 left before she's sold off :(

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Not a chance, they are pre-cast and are installed at a very early stage in the ship build. Cutting them out would be very difficult and putting new ones in almost impossible.
I'm sure I have read of cabin fixed furniture being replaced in some ships during major re-fits, so not impossible, but probably not something P&O would want to do just before they sell her off to CMV. :sarcasm: :lol:
PS, where have you been Bob, we've missed you on the EU referendum thread, we wondered if you had been handing out leave leaflets? :lol: :lol:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

towny44 wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I'm sure I have read of cabin fixed furniture being replaced in some ships during major re-fits, so not impossible, but probably not something P&O would want to do just before they sell her off to CMV. :sarcasm: :lol:
PS, where have you been Bob, we've missed you on the EU referendum thread, we wondered if you had been handing out leave leaflets? :lol: :lol:
Hi Towny, I meant to refer to the washroom modules which, as you know, are pre-moulded and installed at a very early stage.

I have been busy with new designs and trying to drum up business and the referendum thread was going around in circles. Business is quiet for lots of people at the moment, we shall just have to hope that things pick up after the vote to 'remain' :)

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

This is nice - a picture of Oriana at the Mayflower this morning....
Ct2oF8DXEAAeUxX.jpg

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I see they have thrown a one-nighter in after the re-fit and before our Christmas cruise. Presumably a trip round the Isle of Wight to see whether she still shakes ?!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

More like it will be finished early so let's make a few bob to pay for it.

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Perhaps it's a Press/Media Event ?
Last edited by qbman1 on 16 Nov 2016, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Perth
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Ian Perth »

This is what's being completed to Oriana refit, going in on the 25th November.

http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/oriana/refit/

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Just received the most extraordinary e-mail from those lovely people at P&O with "important information regarding your forthcoming cruise on board Oriana"

The attachment reads:

"P&O Cruises On-board Sales Notification

Thank you for making your next cruise booking through your Loyalty and Cruise Sales Manager. This is a notification to confirm your booking secured on board. Your exclusive on-board booking benefits have been applied to your future cruise with us. Your Loyalty and Cruise Sales Managers, along with the rest of the ship's company are looking forward to welcoming you on board."

That is all very well but we booked this cruise last year and have received the usual flood of confirmation e-mails since then. Anyone have any idea what would have prompted this latest missive ?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote:
Anyone have any idea what would have prompted this latest missive ?
P&O's usual efficient IT system :?:

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

david63 wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
Anyone have any idea what would have prompted this latest missive ?
P&O's usual efficient IT system :?:
In that case, I would have expected to receive it after we returned from the cruise !

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Ian Perth wrote:
This is what's being completed to Oriana refit, going in on the 25th November.

http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/oriana/refit/
Thanks for the link Ian.

It looks like a lick and a promise on the cabins. with repairs or replace, meaning a new shower curtain for the bathroom and a coat of stain on the furniture. Whoopee :sarcasm:

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Maybe if we're really lucky, we'll get a new seat for the lav !!

The style of the new decor looks a bit too much a la Britannia to me ! Why do we have to go all beige ?!

Return to “About Oriana”