Oriana decried

Discussions about anything related to Oriana

Topic author
jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Oriana decried

Post by jay-ell71 »

A review in Cruise Critic about Oriana's recent cruise by OldSalt makes interesting reading. Rather sad I think.

(sorry don't know how to do a Link!) Jay
Jay

AngieT
Third Officer
Third Officer

Re: Oriana decried

Post by AngieT »

Just read this review & although disheartened I am being quite pragmatic. We are sailing on Oriana on Monday for the 5 week Transatlantic cruise. We haven't sailed on her before so we can't make a comparison but I have read many favourable reviews about the ship & if it was that bad I'm sure several of our fellow passengers wouldn't be doing this cruise on this ship for the second time in a short period of time.

The reviewer's gripes appeared to be that Oriana should have stayed a Family Ship & the shoddy way Norovirus was handled. I can't comment on the second gripe but as for the first gripe - I enjoy the Adult Only cruises (Adonia & Arcadia so far) so an older age range won't bother me (and I'm only 55)! I love children (I have 3 grandaughters aged 2 - 10) & hubby retires today from working in a secondary school so we are not child-averse, however a cruise in the school holidays on Azura was not as relaxing as we had hoped when a quarter of the passengers were under the age of 16 with the attendant noise this sometimes brings on deck, in pools/jacuzzis and in the public areas. So the peace & relaxation on the Adult ships is a good antidote to our busy lives.

In my opinion there is room in the cruising market for Family Friendly & Adult Only ships - and like with any holiday, sometimes you have to experience the negative points of a holiday to make a more informed choice next time.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

I hope that you enjoy your cruise on Oriana; we wouldn't hestitate to sail on her again and have done a 23 night and 35 night cruise on her.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Hi Jay, I think this is the link-

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberrev ... yID=114852

Is the chap just having a moan for moans sake? I have read many reviews on all types of Holidays that we were going to take, good and very bad ones , but at the end of the day it,s you that have to decide if you go on a holiday or not based on what has been reported. I have never had any problems with bad reports, and gone ahead booked and enjoyed my holidays .
I will say that the cruise reports on the PO c.c. were very good reporting good and bad , a lot of folks miss them.
Have a great and enjoyable cruise.

Ray
Don't worry, be happy

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Hooooo boy, he certainly isn't scoring many carrots on the happy bunny scale, is he?

Now, we all know that you can't please all of the people all of the time and one man's excellence is another's load of rubbish, but this guy takes the biscuit.

We went on Oriana last June and, despite being known as a pernickety old git, I have to say that there is no way on this earth that the ship is as bad as he makes out.

Passenger age of over 80? Well, it might have been on his cruise but when we went I would say it was 50-ish.

If, having the children's facilities removed to make space for more cabins, this is "God's Waiting Room on Sea", I'd like to take up residency. I assume he knew beforehand that it was an adult-only ship?

Having cruised four times on Oceana (going for the fifth one in five weeks and 15 hours, not that I'm counting) I would say that the choice of wines was no different.

The menu was comparable. Perfectly good food.

There is much more indoor seating on Oriana, which is a blessing when it's inclement weather.

We much prefer Oceana, but certainly wouldn't turn down another cruise on Oriana.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

welshynurse
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by welshynurse »

I went on the Oriana last year for my first cruise, and although i may have nothing to compare it to I thought it was a beautiful ship, and I had a wonderful holiday. Also I'm only 25, so a fair way from my 80's yet, and I would say there were a fair few people around my age. Although I am really looking forward to going on the Oceana soon, I would be more than happy to go back on the Oriana again, especially as it has the special memories of being "my first cruise"

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

The main reason we haven't been on Oriana is the balcony cabins being fewer are more expensive. Looks a nice ship.

Princess
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Princess »

This review is also on Cruise.dot.
If you search for reviews on Oriana there are quite a few poor reviews over the last 2 to 3 months.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

The review drifts from attempting to be funny, to a little bit of fact to a large amount of 'hearsay'. We have never sailed on Oriana but I know that she used to be many peoples favourite ship and it would be a shame if it no longer lives up to the standards ... but as far as reviews go that one pretty much bypassed the entire cruise so it is hard to make a judgement.

The only bit I found interesting was the first sentence in the final para ... could that be 'fact' or just another of those laundry room 'I have it on very good authority' quotes?

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Oriana certainly has something about her. She's the classiest ship in the fleet.

Topic author
jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

It is such a shame that the writer of the review had such a disappointing cruise. It is a long time since we were on Oriana but we always liked her.
If you choose a child free ship obviously you will not hear the happy laughter of children! I am puzzled about that comment.
What I do feel is that, once there is a serious outbreak of NV on board, your cruise will be less than fun. It happened to us on Aurora (our favourite P&O ship) Christmas 2011/12. We felt less than relaxed, everything you do seems to be centred around the infection. We spent as little time in the public areas as we could, which meant being in the cabin far too much, and somehow the meals and mealtimes were not the happy experience they should have been, although we had a lovely table and none of us was ill. I feel that this report had more to do with the Noro Virus than any other aspect of the cruise. Until a way can be found to limit the impact of this virulent curse, there will always be cruises like the one reported, whatever line or ship is involved. I am sure the Officers and crew are just as unhappy as the passengers when NV strikes, but how they manage the problem is very important. We found little reassurance that we were doing the "right thing" although I am sure the Captain did not want to give that impression, I could go on but.......... Jay
Jay

Bobbie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Bobbie »

I sailed on Oriana twice last year and both cruises were wonderful, I really love this ship. I agree that an outbreak of noro probably changes the way people view the cruise, I am sure if I was unlucky enough to be on one of these cruises I would be a wreck as I am completely paranoid about catching things and have a phobia about sickness.

Topic author
jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Exactly Bobbie. J
Jay

Capt Black
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Capt Black »

We were on Oriana twice last year, and apart from Arcadia and Adonia (haven't been on either), she is the PandO ship we have spent the least amount of time aboard. Yet she is probably up there joint fave with the sadly departed Arty.

We had two great cruises on her last year. I thought the re-vamped deck areas outside the buffet we far better than the other ships we have been on.

Unfortunately she got hit by NV. We've never had the misfortune to be on board when a full on outbreak has occurred, so I can't really comment on how well or otherwise this was handled.

As for people dying on board, when we on Azura last year the body count was also five. I can remember at least 3 code Alphas announced in the cabin (one at 06:00). What do you expect when the average age is elevated because there are no pax under 18?

On Oriana again in May, not perturbed by this at all. It's my cruise, and I will make it a great cruise - with a bit of help from Oriana of course!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We have cruised on Oriana twice, the first time was in 2006 and we raved about her at that time.

The second time was on X221 in December 2012 and although I have opted not to read the report in the OP I will catagorically state here and now that there is no way that we will be booking another cruise on this ship.

Key thoughts for us were ...

* The food was very good, in the MDR and both Select Dining Venues.

* Sorrento was like a fridge when we were there, my Lava Rock had to be replaced ;)

* Our cabin, A Deck outside towards the pointy end, was dirty and there was dust everywhere.

* No sign of a Hoover for the entire cruise ... on any deck at all that we went on.

* I contracted NV as did one of our friends

* The noise of the dodgy prop shaft in the MDR near the aft is far too noisy to be acceptable, avoid central tables if possible else move.

* Our friend's cabin, A Deck outside towards the aft, , had large pieces of broken glass in it for four days in spite of it being reported, in the end they sorted it out themselves.

I could go on and on but I will not do so, however at the end of our cruise I wrote to Carol Marlow with many concerns and this is something that I have never had to do in 20 something Cruises spread over six different Cruise Lines.

I genuinely hope that many of the problems that we experienced will be resolved for any of you who are due to sail on this ship either in the short or the longer term.

Sorry but I can only tell it how it was for us rather than how you may wish it to be.

:thumbdown:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

I have already cancelled a cruise that I was due to do on Oriana in October, well I actually swopped it for one that I did last November. I am still in two minds whether to do the Northern Lights cruise that I have booked for March 2014 but as there is still plenty of time before I have to consider swopping it I shall just hang on to it for now. I have only done one cruise on this ship and didnt like it at all which is why I have already swopped one cruise. Personally, even though its adult only, I would not choose this ship again but will stick with Arcadia....

Just my opinion. :-(
The pesky scarfaced pirate

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Holiday Planner »

The recent cruise on board Oriana to Casablance does not seem to have gone well. There are a number of very poor reviews on cruise dot. Did anyone here go on that cruise to give their own perspective? The more balanced reviews on the other site suggest that the entertainment was too 'background', with not enough to do in poor weather. One of the more ridiculous complaints was about another table in the MDR where gentlemen removed their jackets and the Head Waiter did nothing about it!
Angela

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

My son's in-laws were on this cruise and it was eventful - engine fire - full muster for the crew - repairs which meant 2 days in Cadiz and no call to Malaga. Delay because some ladies thought that being back to the ship by 12.30 meant half past midnight and not early afternoon. Apparently because of a longer time refuelling they didn't miss the ship and only realised their mistake when they came back "for lunch" before returning ashore and were told they had got the time mixed up. Some people also flew home because of the enforced extra day in Cadiz. Apparently very rough seas but I don't think you can blame P&O for that :roll:
Janis

IslandSun
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by IslandSun »

I was on this cruise and I can honestly say I really enjoyed it. We did have a bit of a lumpy crossing before we got to La Coruna, but I found everything to be excellent. The Headliners were great, Mike Grumbleweed and Jason Isaacs were excellent - as was Danielle Hope (winner of 'find Dorothy').

We had a couple of upsets, that being a fire in the auxiliary engine (which was soon sorted), a return after an hour to La Coruna is very bad conditions to off-load a sick passenger, but all were dealt with efficiently and we were certainly kept well informed by Captain Robert Camby who is, in my opinion, the best P & O captain I have sailed with. All of the crew on this ship seemed to be happy.. Nothing seemed too much trouble for them which was very nice to see, because the last time I was on Arcadia (2 years ago) the staff did not seem at all happy.

With regard to Cadiz we were informed about a week before departure that we would be over-nighting here as some pipework needed to be fixed and this again was a very pleasant port and it was lovely to see some the hard working crew being able to spend the evening/night in this resort.

I would certainly go on Oriana again, our cabin with a balcony on Deck 10 was fine and looked after amazingly well by our hard working steward.

Lyn.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

There does seem to be a slew of bad reviews recently.

Oriana is my least favourite ship that I've been on currently in the fleet, but I did have a perfectly good cruise on her.

Like most reviews I take them with a pinch of salt.

But I do think the average age of 80 was exaggerated . 70 yes, 80 no.

It seems that the recent cruise was generally not a happy one in some reviewers eyes - but it doesn't mean every cruise will be unhappy. The upcoming Caribbean will probably be fine - a bit of Caribbean sun cheers everyone up.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

IslandSun wrote:
I was on this cruise and I can honestly say I really enjoyed it. We did have a bit of a lumpy crossing before we got to La Coruna, but I found everything to be excellent. The Headliners were great, Mike Grumbleweed and Jason Isaacs were excellent - as was Danielle Hope (winner of 'find Dorothy').

We had a couple of upsets, that being a fire in the auxiliary engine (which was soon sorted), a return after an hour to La Coruna is very bad conditions to off-load a sick passenger, but all were dealt with efficiently and we were certainly kept well informed by Captain Robert Camby who is, in my opinion, the best P & O captain I have sailed with. All of the crew on this ship seemed to be happy.. Nothing seemed too much trouble for them which was very nice to see, because the last time I was on Arcadia (2 years ago) the staff did not seem at all happy.

With regard to Cadiz we were informed about a week before departure that we would be over-nighting here as some pipework needed to be fixed and this again was a very pleasant port and it was lovely to see some the hard working crew being able to spend the evening/night in this resort.

I would certainly go on Oriana again, our cabin with a balcony on Deck 10 was fine and looked after amazingly well by our hard working steward.

Lyn.

You had Jason isaacs? As in actor Jason Isaacs who plays Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films?

Well,that would have made my cruise at that point, I wouldn't care about anything else if it was that Jason Isaacs!
Gill

IslandSun
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by IslandSun »

Hi Gill, no sorry not that Jason Isaacs - it was 'The People's Crooner' competition winner I'm afraid, though he was an excellent singer with an ability to remain upright in the choppy conditions!

Lyn.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

IslandSun wrote:
Hi Gill, no sorry not that Jason Isaacs - it was 'The People's Crooner' competition winner I'm afraid, though he was an excellent singer with an ability to remain upright in the choppy conditions!

Lyn.

Aw, I was all excited for a while - I thought P&O really pushed the boat out, entertainment-wise :lol:
Gill

Return to “About Oriana”