X608 - Iberia

Reports about cruises on Oriana

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

X608 - Iberia

Post by Jan Rosser »

Just to keep Cubie happy I am posting a short report on this cruise - I know he is travelling on Oriana at Christmas and will probably disagree with some of my observations but he wanted to know how I got on so here goes:-

This cruise was booked last minute on a whim really - I was a bit fed up one day so tasked my TA to find me something. I did think I would be travelling on my own but my son’s in-laws decided to come with me. I travelled down to Southampton by coach - there were only 9 passengers and we weren’t scheduled to arrive at the docks until 2 pm but the driver decided to ignore this as there were so few of us and after a break at the services we carried on and arrived just before 1 pm - priority boarding and I was on the ship within 15 minutes and was directed to the curly canapé buffet which was actually very nice and a couple of glasses of Buck Fizz went down very easily. The cabins were ready by 2 pm so I went to have a look - my cabin was on C Deck at the rear of the ship overlooking the stern - my cabin steward Jay introduced himself to me and told me I was his “single passenger” - I have no idea why he was so excited :roll:

I met up with my son’s in-laws down in the buffet and had another glass of Bucks Fizz - well couldn’t refuse could I? We went to the emergency drill and I was surprised to see such a wide range of ages - I had expected to see mostly OAPs but there were quite a few younger people too - this was a first cruise for over 500 passengers may be this was why The case was outside the cabin on my return so I unpacked and showered and changed for dinner - freedom dining in the Peninsular restaurant thank goodness as my memories of meals in the Oriental are not good with the vibration at that end of the ship.

The Cabin:
I booked an outside cabin - the window looked out over the stern of the ship and one deck below was the pool area which has changed since I was last on the ship - there are now rattan type settees and chairs where the children’s area used to be and the usual beds and chairs around the pool and bar area. There was a net curtain over the window as passengers could sit on the deck outside the cabin although there were notices discouraging people from sitting directly outside and to be fair no-one did. The cabin on the first night shook, rattled and rolled - I thought I was in a tumble dryer but for some reason that was the only night it did that - I had expected some movement so wasn’t surprised - the other time it was noisy was usually when we were docking. I booked only two weeks before so there wasn’t a great deal of choice of cabin but it was clean and comfortable - lovely pillows - but how I hate that plastic curtain which wraps itself around you in the shower.

Food:
The menus are pretty much the same across the fleet but the standard wasn’t as good as on Britannia and the waiters weren’t very happy - I think there are not enough of them and they are rushed. We always shared a table and didn’t ever wait - just walked straight in. Breakfast in the dining room was more relaxed but the buffet was the usual bun fight - carrying a tray around looking for a seat etc etc. We ate one night in the Beach House and it was the best meal of the week by far.

Entertainment:
Pretty average - comedian, singers etc. but only went to see the Headliners - they were a new troupe on their first cruise and were a breath of fresh air - they were very talented and sang and danced their hearts out. I went to see the Crew performing in the Pacific Lounge - terrible venue with all those flippin pillars but a good laugh. The sailaway parties were held around the terrace pool at the stern and on the Saturday of the Queen’s birthday they put up bunting and gave out union jacks as we sailed from St. Peter’s Port. On the Sunday they held a party in the atrium area - some of the officers manned stalls where you could guess the weight of a cake, the herbs in a container, throw the ball at tins sort of thing. They had baked a cake for the Queen which was a purple and white affair - ghastly thing - not sure if it was an actual cake or cardboard - I hate myself for sounding so cynical but a party it was not. We had more sailaway parties on this cruise than I have ever known before but had to bring a couple of them indoors because it rained.

Ports:
I had been to all the ports on previous cruises so hadn’t booked any excursions. St. Peter’s Port was a tender port and quite honestly a bit of a shambles - waited for over an hour to disembark - not sure why - it is after all a small ship with few passengers but anyway it was sunny and warm and we just wandered around and returned to the ship for a late lunch and the sailaway party. Day at sea on the Sunday and the first formal night. Monday was La Rochelle and we took the shuttle into town and strolled around - surprised how much was there actually but on returning to the ship we were caught in a heavy shower and had to queue to get back onto the ship so got pretty wet. Tuesday was Bilbao - another fine day - walked around the outside of the Guggenheim and gardens and returned to ship to have lunch and sit out on the deck - it was really pleasant on the deck at the stern. La Coruna was an awful day - non stop rain but the free bus into the town to El Corte Ingles was too tempting and I spent a few hours in the store - bought a few bits and bobs but was glad to return to the ship. As I was getting back on the ship the Captain was going out - apart from the welcome on board party this was the only time I saw him - it was Marcin Banach - I wondered if he was off on the free bus for a bit of retail therapy :sarcasm: . Thursday was a sea day and turned out sunny and warm - sat out on the back deck until 6 pm before going to dinner.

We met some very pleasant people on the cruise - being Welsh the accent is soon picked up and the inevitable question “where are you from” is asked and I usually reply north of Cardiff but I actually met people who knew where I lived and spookily met a couple who used to visit the town where my husband was born to see a friend who turned out to be my husband’s cousin. Can you believe of all the 1800 + passengers on the ship I sat by these people - what a small world it is :crazy:

I enjoyed my week on Oriana - she was my first P&O ship and my husband’s favourite and she has many good points but she is tired and wouldn’t be my first choice again - I prefer the bigger ships - I am a fan of Britannia - apparently the only one from the conversations I had with people on Oriana - I do despair sometimes how people can form opinions when they haven’t been on the ship. The clientele on Oriana is older too - much older - lots more walking sticks, zimmers and wheel chairs and one or two mobility scooters - you have to admire the people who travel suffering from mobility issues. The weather was a bit up and down but much better than at home and there was certainly no reservation of beds on this cruise - I don’t think some of the passengers could get down onto a bed if they tried!!!

I know Oriana has a wraparound promenade deck and a dedicated cinema and the theatre is quite charming but my vote is for the more modern ships in the fleet - she really needs updating - she is quite dark and depressing in some areas and controversially I missed the little ones - I do so enjoy the cruises with the family. The range of goods in the shops is very poor and spending the generous onboard credit wasn’t easy but I managed it somehow.

Would I sail on her again - may be if the itinerary was interesting enough and the price was right but my next cruise is on a Princess ship (Azura size) and next January I’m back on Britannia in the Caribbean so not looking for anything else at the moment.
Janis

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: X608 - Iberia

Post by Dancing Queen »

It sounds as if you had a really nice time Jan and how lovely that your SIL's joined you .. where were your daughters :lol:

I love Oriana although it's a few years since we were on her but had some lovely cruises in the past.
Jo

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

Hi Jan
Glad you had a nice time on Oriana. Your comments regarding the overworked waiters and number of walking sticks mirror my own comments following my recent cruise. I still like Oriana however and have already booked for next year.
Regards
Colin

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Dancing Queen wrote:
It sounds as if you had a really nice time Jan and how lovely that your SIL's joined you .. where were your daughters :lol:

I love Oriana although it's a few years since we were on her but had some lovely cruises in the past.
Hi Jo I think I've confused you - I wasn't very clear - I was with my son Matthew's in-laws Don and Maureen - he is the son who loves the cruises - going with him and the family in August :thumbup:
Janis

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Interested to read your review of Oriana as we sailed on her to Spain, Portugal and Tangiers from 29th May to 10th June this year. We were extremely lucky with the weather and it may well be because of the wall to wall sunshine which we had, that we came away from Oriana feeling that we had had an excellent cruise. We were allocated Freedom Dining in the Peninsular restaurant and we found the waiters quite pleasant but reserved, although we ended up most nights on the same table but we didn't feel that we built up any rapport with the two waiters.

We were allocated an inside cabin(A304) at the back of deck A and found it a good position to get to the balcony at the back of Oriana for our sheltered sunbathing. Like you we had reservations about the position when we found out our allocation because we had endured the awful vibration some years ago. In fact, this time we only noticed a little vibration as we docked.

We loved Bilbao and walked all along the river to the old town. We just felt everything was so vibrant and well kept and the four of us said that in many ways Bilbao put our country to shame but perhaps we are just comparing that with the Isle of Wight.

What did you think of the Captain, Marcin Banach? He certainly made us feel old. He looked just like a 15 year old just out of school but my friend, after a couple of wines at the Welcome Aboard party, plucked up the courage to ask him how old he was and he said 40.

We would happily go on Oriana again but, as I said previously, it could be our view was coloured by the cheap deal we had and the wonderful weather.

It's good to read another persons opinion and it was a very interesting review.

Maureen

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

No it was me who read it incorrectly Jan, you did say 'son's in laws' I read it as your son's in law and thought 'lucky lady' :lol: :lol:
Jo

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Kenmo1 wrote:
Interested to read your review of Oriana as we sailed on her to Spain, Portugal and Tangiers from 29th May to 10th June this year. We were extremely lucky with the weather and it may well be because of the wall to wall sunshine which we had, that we came away from Oriana feeling that we had had an excellent cruise. We were allocated Freedom Dining in the Peninsular restaurant and we found the waiters quite pleasant but reserved, although we ended up most nights on the same table but we didn't feel that we built up any rapport with the two waiters.

We were allocated an inside cabin(A304) at the back of deck A and found it a good position to get to the balcony at the back of Oriana for our sheltered sunbathing. Like you we had reservations about the position when we found out our allocation because we had endured the awful vibration some years ago. In fact, this time we only noticed a little vibration as we docked.

We loved Bilbao and walked all along the river to the old town. We just felt everything was so vibrant and well kept and the four of us said that in many ways Bilbao put our country to shame but perhaps we are just comparing that with the Isle of Wight.

What did you think of the Captain, Marcin Banach? He certainly made us feel old. He looked just like a 15 year old just out of school but my friend, after a couple of wines at the Welcome Aboard party, plucked up the courage to ask him how old he was and he said 40.

We would happily go on Oriana again but, as I said previously, it could be our view was coloured by the cheap deal we had and the wonderful weather.

It's good to read another persons opinion and it was a very interesting review.

Maureen
Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise on Oriana Maureen - I think the positives outweighed the negatives but as you say a good deal and sunny weather do make a difference. I loved Bilbao too particularly around the Guggenheim - don't you just love the flower dog - it must be so much work to maintain it though. Like you I thought the Captain looked about 15 - not a great personality compared with some of the other captains we've met but hey his job is to sail the ship ;)
Janis

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thanks for the report, Jan

I'm on Oriana in August, so it was very interesting for me

I've only been on Oriana the once, and that was back in 2007. She wasn't my favourite ship, but we fancied a Round Britain cruise, and Oriana fits the bill.
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Well done, Blod - thanks. Most interesting. I doubt I will disagree with much you say, although our preference is for the smaller ships over the big buggers !! Oriana is due her re-fit immediately before we board at Christmas so I hope we will notice a change. Bet she still shakes though !

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

qbman1 wrote:
Well done, Blod - thanks. Most interesting. I doubt I will disagree with much you say, although our preference is for the smaller ships over the big buggers !! Oriana is due her re-fit immediately before we board at Christmas so I hope we will notice a change. Bet she still shakes though !
I'm glad you approve Cubie :thumbup: I'm sure you are right about the vibration though ;)
Janis

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Oriana's what I would call a "proper" ship, despite the shakes

I vowed not to mention the "V" word after Spuddy's recent comments on the "Ladies who chat" thread. Still makes me blush :oops: to think about it !!

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

qbman1 wrote:
Oriana's what I would call a "proper" ship, despite the shakes

I vowed not to mention the "V" word after Spuddy's recent comments on the "Ladies who chat" thread. Still makes me blush :oops: to think about it !!
What you blush - that will be the day :sarcasm:
Janis

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

You know I'm really a sensitive soul at heart, Blod !

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I enjoyed reading you review. The weather seems to have been the same as we got when we were away in May on the Azura. As long as you had a good time that's all that matters:)

Return to “Oriana Cruise Reports”