Opinions about Ventura

Discussions about anything related to Ventura

Topic author
gravy1955
Third Officer
Third Officer

Opinions about Ventura

Post by gravy1955 »

Having just booked a short mini cruise(4 nights) on Ventura to celebrate our wedding anniversary I thought I would read up on a few reviews about her ( big mistake :shock: ) A lot of them were very negative especially about the mini cruises which created some doubts in my mind as to whether I had done the correct thing in making the booking :think:
What are people's opinions about the Ventura ?

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Opinions about Ventura

Post by GillD46 »

I haven't been on her for a while now when i did, found her very lively.
Gill

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

I have been on Ventura 3 times, one short cruise, the Grand Event Cruise and Caribbean in Feb this year. Enjoyed everyone of them. Without doubt she is a large, family ship, but that means there is lots to do, we have always had good service and food and had great and memorable holidays, meeting some wonderful people, who we are still in contact with.

Go with an open mind, everyone has different opinions and preferences ... I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise. :thumbup:
Jenni

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We went on a 14 night cruise on Ventura last year with all sorts of reservations as a consequence of some of the reviews we read on different sites and we wondered if we had done the right thing. Pleased to say we had a lovely cruise and although it is a large ship it meant there was plenty to do and plenty of choice. The clientele aboard were much younger and the dress code more informal but I don't mean that in a derogatory way. I may be more accurate to say the styles were more fashionable but nevertheless the ladies looked just as glamorous.
Would I go on her again? I would be quite happy to go on Ventura although I wouldn't say she is my favourite. The prom deck was rather narrow, didn't wrap round the ship and there were no steamers. Nothing more serious than that for me though.

haveabeer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by haveabeer »

Been on Ventura 3 times and LOVED every minute go with a wide opened mind dont listen to others opinions.
Yes Ventura is big and as people have said plenty going on.
Dave

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

...................... and children weren't a problem!! I've had more problems with children on Aurora. The kids were fine, it was grannies and grandads fussing over them, blocking the corridors and totally oblivious to the blockage they were creating.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

My view for what it's worth is this
pick which cruise you go on ,as it is a family ship and children will be in abundance during school hols, we went on ventura during term time, to the fjords and it was fantastic.
yes, it has a younger client base, but this is not an issue , it makes it more fun and less staid, good facilites, plenty to do, good choice of bars and restaurants

go with an open mind and enjoy, would be my advice
Nihil Obstat

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

Went on Ventura Maiden cruise when there were a lot of problems and complaints and have never sailed on her again. For the same design of ship Azura is completely different and we love her and been on Azura 5 times since her Maiden.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I've been on Ventura three times - 2 Caribbean cruises and the two night 'pre-maiden' weekend.

My advice is go on your cruise, don't pay too much heed to the reviews and make up your own mind.

The weekenders on any ship tend to be a bit different to the longer cruises. People have only got a few days away and they are determined to make the best of their time away, and stay up later to enjoy the nightlife, so there is a more lively atmosphere. On some of the longer cruises you sometmes think that half the ship is tucked up with their Horlicks at 10pm!

Personally I love Ventura for a fun relaxed cruise, and will certainly sail on her again
Gill

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Gill W, Slightly off line but as a lover of Azura did you find very much difference between the two. We are considering Ventura in the Med next year.

paultheeagle
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by paultheeagle »

Ventura is a fantastic ship...Don't let those things put you off....I've only been on her once but would go on her again without hesitation.

Have a wonderful cruise.
Up The Palace

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

gravy1955, I don't think you will find the answer to your question on this forum. What some people find lively and fun-packed others will describe as horrendous and unbearable - it depends on what you are looking for. Personally, I have reached a stage where, usually, I prefer calm relaxation to wild exuberance but everything is OK in moderation. At least you have gone for a short cruise on which to make up your own mind. I look forward to your report. :)

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Andrea S wrote:
Gill W, Slightly off line but as a lover of Azura did you find very much difference between the two. We are considering Ventura in the Med next year.

Hi Andrea.

I also like Azura, and for me the differences are fairly superficial. For example where you have a Blue Bar, on Ventura there's a Red Bar and so on. In fact now there's a Glasshouse on Ventura, there's even more similarities.

Of course, Ventura doesn't have the Seascreen (which some might say is an improvement). Also, Ventura is slightly less formal, as it doesn't have the jacket required nights.

But the P & O feel is there, the food and the entertainment is the same. If you felt at home on Azura, I think you'd be at home on Ventura too.

Sometimes I think people get sucked into the marketing, that Ventura is for families and newbies, and Azura is more sophisticated. But I think they are more or less similar.
Gill

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Gill W, Thank you. I have come to realise that everyone has a different interpretation on what they like. Prior to travelling on Azura the reports were terrible but it was ideal for us. I do like the look of Ventura's itinerary and would like to give it a go.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Ventura also has a retractable pool roof, which is great for nordic cruises as it is possible to swim and lounge when the weather is poor
Nihil Obstat

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

We did a mini-cruise last year on Ventura and loved it. Plenty of hen parties onboard, but didn't notice any rowdy or bad behaviour.

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

Everybody has differing views and they are personal to that person only. Like I said in my earlier post we did Ventura Maiden and didnt really like the atmosphere or ship itself and when we did Azura Maiden we found the ship more to our tastes and that is now our favourite P&O ship. Funnily enough for the first 6 months of Ventura sailing it got a lot of scathing poor reports from a lot of people on all cruise forums but has now seemed to found its niche as a casual family ship and become popular where we prefer the more formal kind of cruising that Azura gives us.

Mariner Mike
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Mariner Mike »

Hi been on Ventura twice before and loved it and are going on a 5nt cruise break in June. People are right that the atmosphere is a bit different to Azura for all she is basically the same ship. I used to love Ramblas for tapas, but also love Glass House on Azura. As a spin off has anybody been on Ventura since the change and if so how does the new Glass House stack up? I'd be interested before seeing it myself in June (Can't wait!)

Happy Cruising

MIke

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

Mariner Mike wrote:
Hi been on Ventura twice before and loved it and are going on a 5nt cruise break in June. People are right that the atmosphere is a bit different to Azura for all she is basically the same ship. I used to love Ramblas for tapas, but also love Glass House on Azura. As a spin off has anybody been on Ventura since the change and if so how does the new Glass House stack up? I'd be interested before seeing it myself in June (Can't wait!)

Happy Cruising

MIke
According to reports elsewhere and photos it is the same old Ramblas with a name change and a wine dispenser machine added. Apparently they havn't even managed to change all the names. At least this means they can change it back quickly as IMO Ramblas was a better concept than Glass House.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I used to love a tapas lunch in Ramblas. It was something totally unique to Ventura (in my experience) and we really enjoyed it. I have no 'Glass House' experience so can't really compare it but a name change and the installation of a wine dispenser sounds to me like a cheap changeover which can be quickly reversed if need be.
RIP Ramblas?

Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

We loved ventura, slightly more over Oceana

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

We've only been on Ventura once ( the Maiden ) and had a wonderful time, whilst we liked the ship there are others that suit us better which is the reason we have not sailed on it since but I would certainly never say never.

I think the biggest problem with Ventura was it got some very bad press in the first couple of years and people tend to remember that which is a little unfair, we have friends who wouldn't consider going on any other ship they just love it.
Jo

Mariner Mike
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Mariner Mike »

davecttr wrote:
Mariner Mike wrote:

Happy Cruising

MIke
According to reports elsewhere and photos it is the same old Ramblas with a name change and a wine dispenser machine added. Apparently they havn't even managed to change all the names. At least this means they can change it back quickly as IMO Ramblas was a better concept than Glass House.
Thanks 'davecttr' - I've been looking at other sites and seems very much the case. Much as we love Glass House on Azura, OH and I mourn the passing Ramblas - particularly for tapas lunch with a bottle or two on sea days in the courtyard. The Ventura version sounds a bit of a fudge to see if it works.

Lynn S
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Lynn S »

We sailed on Ventura last summer, 2 weeks Western Med, and loved it! We're early 60's and my husband is a full time wheelchair user - never had a problem with anything or anyone! OK, we didn't do the clubs/discos but enjoyed our holiday all the same. We loved seeing the families together, and never saw a badly behaved child;-) Proof that we enjoyed it? We booked onboard to go again this June - can't wait! (We were on Arcadia prior to that - also good, but a much older clientele and not so accessible in some ways.)

You'll have a great time, I'm sure!
Lynn

Capt Black
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Capt Black »

We've done two one week cruises on Ventura and thoroughly enjoyed both of them. One of them was just at the start of the school summer hols, so lots of children on board. Didn't affect our trip at all. We've also done a longer cruise on Azura and thoroughly enjoyed that too.

Return to “About Ventura”