N404A Ventura in the Caribbean

Reports about cruises on Ventura

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

N404A Ventura in the Caribbean

Post by JenniC »

Saturday February 15th - En-Route to Barbados with Thomas Cook
Up at 5am and a very easy transfer from our hotel and quick check-in. Good job I had the extra luggage allowance, the guy at check-in said we were one of the pax with most luggage so far today!! have to say though I just do not know how people travel with so little - the couple in front of us had two cases, one of which I would need just for a weekend and the other not much bigger.. They must wear the same clothes every day! We took advantage of the Airport Angels card we have with Nat West and went into the No1 Gatwick lounge. Very good, free nice breakfast, coffee, tea, wifi etc..
I was worried about the fact that we were with Thomas Cook, but our Airbus A330 was fine and enough legroom for me and Steve was OK as well. Take off was pretty bumpy, but given the horrendous storm the previous night, which was still with us, it was better than I feared. First time I have been on a plane with the toilets downstairs. The cabin crew were very good, as was the food, all in all a great flight and landed 35 mins ahead of schedule. By 4pm we were in our cabin, our first Superior cabin and it is lovely, so much more room, but it has definitely raised the bar for us now!! Then up to Breakers for a quick drink, followed by a look around the ship at the changes that took place during her refit last year. The biggest change was the Retreat, which does not really worry me and the installation of the single cabins, taking up an area of the Exchange. To be honest, I quite like it and it makes the Exchange more intimate, as at times it did lack atmosphere. Back in our cabin at 5pm, we were surprised to see all three cases, marked with Priority Baggage, must have been because we paid for extra allowance, so we were able to get unpacked and sorted nice and early. Muster was at 8pm, so we decided to get ready first and then eat in the Beach House - the menu has changed a bit, but it was a good as ever. We ordered a bottle of wine and the plan was to take it back to the cabin, but we got chatting to a nice couple on the next table and that was it. By 10pm we hit the brick wall and so to bed.

Sunday February 16th - At Sea
Our first full day started a bit cloudy, but very warm me after a leisurely breakfast in Saffron, we headed up to find a sunbed, now not sure if it is the installation of the Retreat area, but it was very full. However a very nice crew member told us there were beds on the Cirque deck so we headed up there, much better, probably because it is aft and away from everything. However as we passed the Pitons the heavens opened and after braving it for around 15 mins, we gave in and headed back to the cabin. The sun came out later and we spent a relaxing afternoon on the balcony. Tonight is the Captain's gala and I finally got to meet the lovely Jan Rosser and her friends Meg and Keith and enjoyed the first of many evenings with them and have made some life long friends.

Monday February 17th - Grenada
It is 07:30 and we have just docked in St. George's, weather is overcast but very warm. After breakfast in the MDR we ventured out and caught the water taxi to Grand Anse. It was quite windy and there was a strong undercurrent so I decided not to snorkel and we spent a very lazy day on the beach. Now back on our balcony and there is a huge party happening on deck, with the pax from the Costa Meditterana looking on!! Tonight we dined in The White Room, OK we agreed that people's opinions are subjective and for us it was a no no. Velouté of Mushroom (Translation: mushroom soup) was very strong and had a white foam all over it - now I do not see the point of foam that does nothing to enhance the taste of the meal and this definitely did not. Main course was a Dill and Chive herb crusted pork rack, with port jus) (Translation: pork chop with a few herbs and gravy), chops were tough, potatoes were lukewarm). For dessert I chose Zucca Anglaise with baked meringue (Translation: Runny cold custard with a few bits if candied peel and a blob of soft sickly uncooked meringue on the top). The best bit was the bottle of Rjioja. So we left and whilst I am slating it to Steve on the stairs who follows us but MPW. Now being the honest and open person that I am I turn and say, "Hi I have to say that ( at this point I can see Steve turn physically grey worried about what was coming next)......... "I definitely think the best person won Masterchef Australia The Professionals"! Steve sighed with relief and Marco and I entered into conversation about the competition and how Rees (who won) was not the best chef, but deserved to win, he had a story and Marco admitted he scored with emotion. We walked down three flights of stairs and at each deck he stopped and talked.. So pleasantly surprised. Why did I not mentioned the food you ask ...... TBH it was just not worth getting into, we were on holiday, gave it and try and for us it did not work, others loved it.
Jimmy James was in the theatre tonight, and being children on the 60's and 70's we went along. he was fabulous and got a standing ovation. Not even our usual nightcap followed as we were both really tired, so it was back to our cabin, a coffee (yes coffee) on the balcony and so to bed.

Tuesday February 18th - St Lucia
Weather still overcast, but still warm. We had a browse round the shops in the morning and then I left Steve to join my group for the Pitons Snorkel and as we left on our boat the heavens opened. Now I know we were going snorkelling and we would get wet.. BUT... I was so wet before even getting into the sea it was unreal. I had to wring out my sun dress and try and dry it. Snorkelling was good, but not brilliant and due to the cloudy weather the clarity for pictures was not great, but a real crew, great passengers and rum punch on the way back made it a good trip. Then met Steve in the Rum Shack and as usual it was heaving and security were there at 4:30pm to get everyone back on board. Tonight was relatively quite for us.

Wednesday February 19th - Dominica
Did a trip up the Indian River, which was OK. Stopped in the Croc Tavern in the rain forest for a rum punch and half expected Ant and Dec to jump out! We were docked out of the main town, so upon our return we decided to get back on board and lay on deck. It rained again but warm all the same. This evening a ventriloquist, ,Gareth Oliver was in the theatre (he was in Britain's got Talent, the same year as Susan Boyle and got to the semi finals). OMG he was brilliant and I laughed so much I was in pain. Well worth catching if he is on board when any of you are cruising.

Thursday February 20th - St. Kitts
Spent the whole, hot but windy, day on South Friars Beach at the Carambola Beach Club, great day, nice lunch and even managed some snorkelling - so lovely and relaxing. Went to our first Pennisular Club cocktail party tonight and then to the Beach House for dinner. Tonight was 60's and 70's night so decided to give the late quiz a go. Joined up with another couple, but did not win, we had 29, winners had 32, of course had they listened to me about the first man to orbit the earth, what film shot Michael Caine to fame and who sang Will you still love me tomorrow, we would have been in the tie break... Oh well.

Friday February 21st - St. Maarten
Best day weather wise so far and only three ships in - us, Legend of the Seas and Norwegian Gem, so not as busy as it can be. Took the local bus to Marigot, then after a walk round and a coffee and macaroon in a French Patisserie, we took a taxi back via the coast road and lagoon. We stopped off at Maho (Sunset) beach and were lucky enough to have a KLM jumbo land as well as several other large jets, great bit of thrill seeking, but also quite scary for the first time. We then went back to Phillipsburg and having not eaten since breakfast, went in the Hard Rock Cafe for a beer and Nachos, face timed the kids and people watched. Captain Paul Brown, had advised in the morning that, as this was such a popular port, we would not sail until 8pm, so there was still time for a relax on the beach, before making our way back on board. At late dinner was followed by Gareth Oliver's second and totally different, but equally as funny show.

Saturday February 22nd - Tortola, Sunday 23rd at sea
Along with most of the ship (it seemed) we went to Cane Garden Bay, but walked along to near the end so much quieter. A very lazy beach day on Saturday was followed by a hairy ride back in one of the open buses which I honestly thought would not make it - I have never been so happy to be back at port.

Next was an equally hot and relaxing day at sea on Sunday as we booked for Jan 10th next year and secured £740 OBS so happy. Tonight was the Black and White night. We started off the evening with canapés and champagne in our cabin with Jan, Megan and Keith followed by dinner and fairly early night as really tired.

Monday February 24th - Curaçao
Our third time here and I wanted to go snorkelling, so we went to the Sea Aquarium beach. Unfortuntely, whilst this was a lovely area, I really did not see many fish at all and left feeling very disappointed. However, we did have a nice lunch and the best ice cream I have had, Nutella with biscotti!!!!.

Tuesday February 25th - Bonaire
My dreams came true at last as I did the Double Dip snorkel - two dive sites off of Klein Bonaire. Pretty choppy so very hard work, but so worth it. The second site had coral nearer the surface and was like swimming in an aquarium there we so many fish it was a-maz-ing!!!! I can really recommend the SeaCow and the crew for an brilliant trip, so well organised and the best I have done ever.

Wednesday February 26th - At sea
Did not do anything except relax all day and then had a wonderful meal in East with Jan, Meg and Keith. Steve did. to like the menu so went to the buffet and we met later in the Exchange for the quiz.. Came second.. too many quiz professionals on board :crazy:

Thursday February 27th - At sea
Another totally lazy day, apart from packing (as wanted a free day on Friday). Ate in the Beach House for the third time and equally as good. Met up later with another couple and actually watched a not too cringe worthy Kareoke in the Exchange.. Good tongue in cheek fun.

Friday February 28th - Barbados
It was the 375 year anniversary of the Barbados parliament, so there was a parade and The Earl and Countess of Wessex were there to take the salute. They also had the Yeoman of the Guard outside and it was surreal to see them. It was so hot they has to change guards every 15 minutes. It was great to see and we chatted to so many locals and a great party atmosphere. We were not due back on board until midnight so we took the local bus to Holetown, enjoyed a lovely lunch on the beach and then went on a trip to Paynes Bay with Marlon and his rickety blue boat and swam with the turtles in their natural habitat.. another tick on the Bucket List. Our last evening, so we met up with Jan etc. and had a very enjoyable evening in the Glass House.

Saturday March 1st - Disembarkation - fly to LGW with Thomas Cook.
Did the farewell to Barbados tour which was OK but not brilliant and quite pricy (IMO) for what it was. Then off to the airport and boarded our Airbus 330 for home.

A brilliant cruise. Met lots of lovely people, highlights were getting to know Jan and the turtle trip. Hughie was conspicuous by his absence, but the entertainment team made up for his lack of charisma. Food overall was excellent and was served plated but did not worry us, quality was fine and was always hot. Now looking forward to our three nights on Azura on 4th April :thumbup:
Jenni

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: N404A Ventura in the Caribbean

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks Jenni and welcome back to you and not forgetting Jan. :wave:

Return to “Ventura Cruise Reports”