Holland America - Amsterdam

Anything about any other cruise line and/or ship
User avatar

Topic author
allatc
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 958
Joined: March 2015

Holland America - Amsterdam

Post by allatc » 04 Jul 2019, 13:53

Anyone cruised with Holland America ?

And particularly on the Amsterdam ?

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2970
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Holland America - Amsterdam

Post by barney » 04 Jul 2019, 17:49

Nope.
Had a day viewing at Dover a few years back.
Can't remember the ship but I remember the excellent lunch.


Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet
Posts: 28
Joined: November 2015

Re: Holland America - Amsterdam

Post by Midlandslass » 04 Jul 2019, 18:05

Yes I've cruised with HAL but not for 6 years or so.
I cruised on Volendam and Oosterdam, enjoyed the experience then but everything changes.

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9822
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Holland America - Amsterdam

Post by Stephen » 04 Jul 2019, 18:06

Same here barney. The suite cabins were something else....huge.

We watched a documentary only a couple of days ago on freeview on a Holland America cruise going round the Fjords, can't remember the ship name but we were quite impressed. Only downside it was full of Americans and they're whiney voices.

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5886
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Holland America - Amsterdam

Post by david63 » 04 Jul 2019, 18:55

My last (and first) HAL was over 15 years ago so whatever it was like then will have probably changed quite a lot.

There was nothing wrong with the ship and probably had one of the better leverls of service.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4640
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Holland America - Amsterdam

Post by towny44 » 04 Jul 2019, 22:37

Since Cunard's 2 junior Queens and Arcadia are based on HAL's Vista class ships, then Cunard and Arcadia aficionado's will probably find Holland America quite familiar.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Topic author
allatc
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 958
Joined: March 2015

Re: Holland America - Amsterdam

Post by allatc » 06 Jul 2019, 11:23

Thanks for input.

Thinking of doing Montreal to Boston next year.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7494
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Holland America - Amsterdam

Post by Manoverboard » 06 Jul 2019, 18:44

allatc wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 11:23
Thanks for input.

Thinking of doing Montreal to Boston next year.
Have you considered during Boston to Boston via New England and Niagara etc which would include Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal of course on a coaching tour ?

User avatar

Topic author
allatc
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 958
Joined: March 2015

Re: Holland America - Amsterdam

Post by allatc » 09 Jul 2019, 09:07

Manoverboard wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 18:44
allatc wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 11:23
Thanks for input.

Thinking of doing Montreal to Boston next year.
Have you considered during Boston to Boston via New England and Niagara etc which would include Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal of course on a coaching tour ?
Meeting up with some American friends who particularly want to do Montreal to Boston.

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9822
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Holland America - Amsterdam

Post by Stephen » 09 Jul 2019, 11:57

We were interested in a H&M cruise until I found out they are all fly cruises, so that's out for me.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7494
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Holland America - Amsterdam

Post by Manoverboard » 09 Jul 2019, 13:55

allatc wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 09:07
Manoverboard wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 18:44
allatc wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 11:23
Thanks for input.

Thinking of doing Montreal to Boston next year.
Have you considered during Boston to Boston via New England and Niagara etc which would include Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal of course on a coaching tour ?
Meeting up with some American friends who particularly want to do Montreal to Boston.
I didn't know about that did I :lol:

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9738
Joined: February 2013

Re: Holland America - Amsterdam

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 10 Jul 2019, 14:45

towny44 wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 22:37
Since Cunard's 2 junior Queens and Arcadia are based on HAL's Vista class ships, then Cunard and Arcadia aficionado's will probably find Holland America quite familiar.
We've never been on HAL, but having been on both Arcadia and Queen Victoria I was enormously surprised how different they were. I'd assumed, pretty much as John says, that it was same ship, different wallpaper. But in fact inside they're barely recognisable as the same hull.

User avatar

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3768
Joined: January 2013
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Holland America - Amsterdam

Post by Dancing Queen » 10 Jul 2019, 16:08

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 14:45
towny44 wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 22:37
Since Cunard's 2 junior Queens and Arcadia are based on HAL's Vista class ships, then Cunard and Arcadia aficionado's will probably find Holland America quite familiar.
We've never been on HAL, but having been on both Arcadia and Queen Victoria I was enormously surprised how different they were. I'd assumed, pretty much as John says, that it was same ship, different wallpaper. But in fact inside they're barely recognisable as the same hull.
Nor us although I'd be more than willing to give them a try as I've only heard good things about HAL.

I'm so pleased you have said Arcadia and QV are barely recognisable as 'the same' because it rather annoys me when people say they are the same ship - they're not they are merely the same 'class' !! :roll: I'm not knocking Arcadia as I appreciate a lot of people love her ( even if I'm not one of them ) but they are worlds apart internally.
Jo

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”