SEABOURN ODYSSEY

Anything about any other cruise line and/or ship

Topic author
OCEANIAFAN
Cadet
Cadet

SEABOURN ODYSSEY

Post by OCEANIAFAN »

SEABOURN ODYSSEY CRUISE 27TH SEPTEMBER, 2014.

This was to be our sixth cruise with Seabourn; we have done two each on all of the three BIG Sisters, Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest.
We flew to Venice to join the ship, and stayed overnight in Venice before embarking on our cruise.

We arrived at the dock at 1230pm and were soon on board, the check in facility again was very smooth, with no queues. We were then shown up to the Colonnade for lunch. We were told that our suites would be ready for occupation by 2pm. As we approached the Colonnade we saw a familiar face, that of Antonio Carillo, we could not believe that this man remembered us by name, and throughout the cruise he addressed most people by their names. The staff including Antonio were exceptional, nothing seems too much trouble. My only comment would be that at lunch time they serve too much fish and not enough cold cuts, as starters. Overall the food was very good.

At 2pm it was announced that our suite were ready, we arrived at our suite and our cases were already on the bed ready for unpacking. We were soon unpacked and ready for the Emergency Drill which takes place in the Restaurant.
This done, it was time for Sail a way, which being Venice is very spectacular down the Grand Canal. It was the day before George Clooney’s wedding and the paparazzi were out in full force.

Our Itinerary was as follows.
Sibenik Croatia
Kotor Montenegro
Corfu Greece
Simi Cephalonia
Gythion Greece
Rethymnon Crete
Piraeus Greece.

We have not visited some of the locations we sailed to, and we particularly liked Sibenik, Simi, and Rethymnon. We had fabulous weather from the time we left Venice to arriving in Piraeus.

Observations of the Ship and Dining Options.

We felt that Seabourn had again come up to the mark, we were on Sojourn in November 2013, and felt that standards were not as good, as this cruise. Staff seemed to gel better, whether they were more experienced in their rolls we do not know.
We did not use Restaurant 2 as it is not to our liking, we did use the Colonnade twice for dinner, but again both evenings it was Buffet service, so somewhat of a disappointment. The Main Dining Room we felt was excellent, unlike others who have commented on this cruise, we felt that there were no problems with having a table for 2, or being asked to join a table to make up a 4 or 6. We again were invited to hosted tables on more than one occasion.
The main dining room was never open for either breakfast or lunch, so the only choice was the Colonnade for breakfast, or Patio Grill, and the Colonnade, for Lunch.
We found that we had no problem getting a table even though the ship was reported to be full.

We were also fortunate to have a Marina Day, which was a little disorganised, in that the booking system to participate did not work, but overall we had a great afternoon and were able to use most of the facilities.
Our thanks must go out to the staff, from the Maitre’d, Restaurant staff in Colonnade and MDR, also the stewardess, who again did a sterling job.

Entertainment.

This is where we were a little disappointed, they only had two shows with the singers and dancers, in the second show they did not use the dancers at all. We were told afterwards that the cast had been changed over for our cruise so they were all very busy rehearsing and it felt that they had not the same rapport with the clients on board . The guitarist in the Club though was very good.
The Cruise Director, John Howell, was very visible around the ship, and seemed to run a tight operation.

Conclusion.

The ship is still in excellent condition and overall maintenance was good, Seabourn seems to be keeping their standards up and we did not notice anything amiss. The only small thing they have reduced is the welcome onboard soaps, but this is a small thing, also the fruit in the suite is not a plentiful , but I am sure if one asked for more it would be provided.
My other small niggle, is the same as all our other cruises, food is served Warm, instead of HOT, even after making the request for hot plates and food. I do appreciate the fact that they are serving many people, but I heard quite a few comments about the temperature of the food served, something I think Seabourn should be aware of.

So after our sixth cruise with Seabourn, we have no hesitation in booking another cruise with them, in fact we have already a Future Cruise Credit in place.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: SEABOURN ODYSSEY

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Rex,
Great report. Sounds like you had a wonderful cruise.

Sue

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Sounds lovely and what a great itinerary.
Jo

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Lovely. We have yet to go on a "big" ship, but are hoping to do so next summer. Strange about the warm, not hot, food. I don't think that happened on Legend.

Have you checked out my report on Riviera?.. the food was hot on there!!!!! :D
Jay

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”