Hapag-Lloyd's Europa 2

Anything about any other cruise line and/or ship

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Hapag-Lloyd's Europa 2

Post by Solent Richard »

My wife and i have recently returned form a cruise on a ship that is proclaimed at least one industry guidebook as its highest-ranking small ship.

Europa 2 was awarded 5 stars plus from the Berlitz Complete Guide To Cruising & Cruise Ships for 2014 and there was no doubt in our minds that it was thoroughly deserved.

Apart from being the cruise industry's youngest luxury ship it boasts the highest space ratio of all cruise ships, most dining venues for a ship of its size and an amazing passenger/guest ratio of 500 passengers with 370 staff.

It was certainly different from many of the luxury small ships that we have already sailed on but what made it even more special was the detail that was covered and the cruising mould breaking features on board.

Talk about German efficiency and administration, this is the pinnacle and sets the bar spectacularly high.

There are no surcharges for the multitude of speciality restaurants: all of them bringing fresh ideas to the national culinary experiences we often take for granted. And here was a break from tradition. Three of those speciality restaurants also opened for lunch thereby giving passengers additional dining options and the opportunity to sample further the chef's innovative dishes.

The main restaurant was also spectacular and we were fortunate to have been invited to join the Hotel manager's table one evening for what only can be described as a veritable banquet: yet all the options on the menu were available to every diner.

It obviously pays to be a popular cruise blogger: we were also invited to a wine tasting given by the award winning Austrian vineyard owner and wine producer, Willi Opitz. There is a further story to that wine tasting that relates to the experience on Europa 2: I've certainly never been offered such a wide selection of wines on a cruise ship wine tasting.

There were 500 passengers on this particular cruise of which some 160 were classed International – a euphemism for English speaking really - and of that number 50 were from the UK. All staff were fluent in both German and English and announcements were always made in those two languages.

Accommodation was just breathtaking and our Ocean View Suite even sported a 'natural light' bathroom.

Hapag-Lloyd have their administration down to a tee. Outstanding pre-cruise hospitality lounges provided at local luxury hotels with transfers included, to a routine for tender boats that was second to none.

I have written a full review on my blog site. Unfortunately forum rules only allow the placing of low res small images images on comments so I will skip the photographs.

There are , however, many full size images on my blog review and any member who may wish to view these are most welcome.

Here is the link to "Europa 2 - Raising the Bar'...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... g-the-bar/

There really is a world of cruising out there and this is one line that really sets out to set the standard.

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Hapag-Lloyd's Europa 2

Post by jay-ell71 »

Well!!!! Astonishing!!! Thank you for posting that, I have read the blog and am duly impressed. We think Seabourn and Oceania are very good, but it looks like Europa 2 just pips them, but we knew it was considered the best in its class.

There was one particular service that no other line provides.... a hotel to visit on arrival and departure with transfers to airports included. Every other line says goodbye to you at around 9.00am and either you arrange an airport transfer, or the ship does and then you are at the airport hours before your flight. We have just spent over four hours in Istanbul airport, so I speak from recent experience, I have to mention that Seabourn did take passengers from Dubai Airport at 8.00am to that very tall building with the Armani hotel in it and gave us breakfast, which was a change from the norm. But at the end of that cruise Seabourn did the same as every other line does on the morning of departure.
Jay

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

That sounds just our sort of trip. We met Europa 2 many times on our Singapore to Southampton earlier this year and met some passengers from onboard. Everyone made similar comments to you.

We must try her.
Gill

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

jay-ell71 wrote:
Well!!!! Astonishing!!! Thank you for posting that, I have read the blog and am duly impressed. We think Seabourn and Oceania are very good, but it looks like Europa 2 just pips them, but we knew it was considered the best in its class.

There was one particular service that no other line provides.... a hotel to visit on arrival and departure with transfers to airports included. Every other line says goodbye to you at around 9.00am and either you arrange an airport transfer, or the ship does and then you are at the airport hours before your flight. We have just spent over four hours in Istanbul airport, so I speak from recent experience, I have to mention that Seabourn did take passengers from Dubai Airport at 8.00am to that very tall building with the Armani hotel in it and gave us breakfast, which was a change from the norm. But at the end of that cruise Seabourn did the same as every other line does on the morning of departure.
You are absolutely correct Jay-ell. And what's more the facilities and service in those hotels was amazing. Beverages including sparkling water and filter coffee, pastries, sandwiches and very attentive Hapag-Lloyd staff.

A real 'class' act.

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

GillD46 wrote:
That sounds just our sort of trip. We met Europa 2 many times on our Singapore to Southampton earlier this year and met some passengers from onboard. Everyone made similar comments to you.

We must try her.
And would you believe the Germans themselves were so friendly and helpful.

We made friends with one particular couple, that's them at the dinner table with us in the review..

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... g-the-bar/

We are joining them in Hamburg when we next go over with Cunard on one of those quickies - already booked in the New Year. :clap:

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”