Riviera Yacht Cruises

Anything about any other cruise line and/or ship

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Riviera Yacht Cruises

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We've had an interesting looking brochure from Riviera Travel about what they describe as yacht cruises on the Dalmation Coast.

The two craft, MV Corona and MS Admiral look like private yachts, both built in 2015, are 43-44m long and carry fewer than 40 passengers. The cruises take in some of the familiar ports on the coast along with some unfamiliar destinations cruise ships can't get near. They stay in the ports overnight. The deal includes flights from the UK, tranfers, all breakfasts, somes lunches and dinners. At other times the yachts are in port so you can eat at the local restaurant of your choice. On board facilities are limited to restaurant, bar and sundeck and there is little entertainment. Some walking tours are also included in the price but mostly it's wander as you fancy.

It looks even more intimate than river cruising, which we enjoyed, but is cheaper, partly presumably because not all the food is included. For 7 nights at a maximum of £1699 per person in the best cabin at the height of the season, it's not silly money, which pleasantly surprised me

We might be interested but wondered if anyone has tried it? Generally Riviera seem to have a good reputation.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Riviera Yacht Cruises

Post by GillD46 »

That sounds very interesting indeed and something we could be tempted to do.
Gill

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

What about skippered yacht charter ?, for a fraction of this price you could get a party of say ten people to charter a yacht with skipper, galley and deck hand that would take you to ports and secluded bays that you have never even heard of.

The only problem for me is finding ten friends or family that enjoy sailing and can afford to do it, some can afford it but aren't keen on sailing and there is only one couple we know who can afford it and would be up for it.

Then there are the Gullets of Turkey !! leave your bling and cocktail dresses at home ladies shorts and flip flops are the dress code.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

No ta. This is a motor yacht with a crew to do the hard work!

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
No ta. This is a motor yacht with a crew to do the hard work!
That's what I'm talking about Merv, skipper, a qualified chef and deck hand to do everything else, you get an on-suite cabin all meals and local beer and wine.

Some are under sail (which I prefer) and others are under motor and more stable (which Cheryl prefers). That's why we have started cruising because I have had my fun in the past and now its her turn and to my surprise I am enjoying it.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

We do stable.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Maybe we're antisocial, but I can't think of a large group of friends that we'd go on holiday with in such close proximity, Ray. Better they are strangers I think. And enough of them for the proximity not to become an issue. But this is certainly something we'd consider - but not Turkey just now.
Gill

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

GillD46 wrote:
Maybe we're antisocial, but I can't think of a large group of friends that we'd go on holiday with in such close proximity, Ray. Better they are strangers I think. And enough of them for the proximity not to become an issue. But this is certainly something we'd consider - but not Turkey just now.
If your feeling adventurous Gill how about trying one of these flotilla holidays, they are for everyone from complete novice to Yacht Master with RYA registered crew to show you the ropes if you need it.

Moor up at a different location every night and eat in local restaurants, have a communal BBQ with other flotilla members or just use the galley on your yacht to self cater.

You can even have a fully skippered yacht so that you just sit/lay back and enjoy the cruise with your G&T in hand, then join the rest of the flotilla onshore in the evening.

https://www.sunsail.co.uk/

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Our friends do flotilla holidays, though they prefer to sail themselves, so we have considered it. But as one that gets extremely sick on a small craft, and a very poor swimmer, I must confess to grave reservations.

Anyway, we are booked for this year and have plans for next year so will wait and see what appeals after that.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

As a consequence of seeing my super yummy pics of the region chums zoomed off and booked one of those cruises last year, a few minor short comings I recall but they certainly enjoyed it overall. One needs, they advised, to be laid back and ultra casual to enjoy it to the max. Stuffy and formal are deffo out ... just saying ;) .

I have no idea who they booked it with or which yacht they sailed on ... I could ask but they are away at the moment.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

GillD46 wrote:
Our friends do flotilla holidays, though they prefer to sail themselves, so we have considered it. But as one that gets extremely sick on a small craft, and a very poor swimmer, I must confess to grave reservations.

Anyway, we are booked for this year and have plans for next year so will wait and see what appeals after that.
The funny thing is Gill I always found my sea legs straight away on sailing yachts but it takes me a day or two on a large ship and the difference in movement between the two is quite significant.

I have been out in Force 8-9 on a small craft and it really is quite alarming to novices but because you are expecting to be bullied by the swell your body seems to adjust, but on a large ship it is more like a steady roll with the occasional thump and I find this hard to adjust to at first.

Call me strange if you like but I would much sooner be in a well built ocean sailing cruiser than a large cruise liner in a storm. :sick:

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Manoverboard wrote:
As a consequence of seeing my super yummy pics of the region chums zoomed off and booked one of those cruises last year, a few minor short comings I recall but they certainly enjoyed it overall. One needs, they advised, to be laid back and ultra casual to enjoy it to the max. Stuffy and formal are deffo out ... just saying ;) .

I have no idea who they booked it with or which yacht they sailed on ... I could ask but they are away at the moment.
Will be interested to hear Moby if you can get a report in due course. The Riviera ones are casual. We can do casual, just like to dress up occasionally. Just saying..... :thumbup:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

Will be interested to hear Moby if you can get a report in due course. The Riviera ones are casual. We can do casual, just like to dress up occasionally. Just saying..... :thumbup:
They booked directly with a Croatian Company, their ship / boat was much smaller than those used by Riviera and more akin to a ' Gin Palace ', they advise ...

Not exactly sound proofed and a tad underwhelming although outwardly it was certainly an impressive vessel. Breakfast was at the coffee 'n' mini-packs of cornflakes level but not an issue for them as they always ate ashore. Some of their fellow passengers were a bit hoity-toity and above themselves, presumably believing that one's behaviour should be exaggerated to impress in the confines of a ' yacht ' :roll: .

Glad they tried it but their next cruise will be on a ' Star Clipper '.

Hope that helps you to decide what may be the best option for you.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”