Digital Postcards from Oceania Riviera

Anything about any other cruise line and/or ship

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Digital Postcards from Oceania Riviera

Post by Solent Richard »

My wife and I recently completed a cruise on board Oceania's cruise ship, Riviera, a  10 night fly-cruise out of Miami entitled ‘Mayan Mystique.

This was our second cruise with Oceania, a cruise line that exudes both class and quality while being renowned for its cuisine. We found Riviera to be a very stylish and comfortable ship with an informal 'country club' atmosphere and casual on board manner.

Riviera is a 66,000 tonne, mid-sized,  four year old ship that accommodates 1,250 passengers with a guest to staff ratio of  1.57 to 1. There were on this particular cruise 1081 guests, 133 of whom were from the UK, 597 from the USA and the remainder made up from 24 different nationalities.

We had booked a Penthouse Suite which offered us an 11.00 am check in at Miami. Check-in was faultless and we were on board within minutes...

This was a port intensive cruise. Of the 7 ports visited we opted to take four ship’s excursions and did one (Roatan, Honduras) by private arrangement.

The Riviera Lounge was the venue for the very popular port lectures and enrichment programme. I was most impressed with the quality and presentation of the particular port lecturer on this cruise, an American lady named Sandy Cares. Indeed, I'd go as far to say she was an outstanding orator - one of the very best I have experienced.

One of the joys of sailing on any Oceania ship is the availability of sunbeams no matter what time of day...

One of the additional advantages of booking a Penthouse Suite was that the occupants had key card access to the on board Executive Lounge with its dedicated Concierge and also access to the very private Spa Terrace...

Another excellent feature of the Riviera was its four speciality restaurants none of which carried a surcharge. As a suite guest one is allowed to make up to 4 reservations in advance of joining - which I did. We followed that up with an additional couple of visits arranged through our Butler. Hard to say which was our favourite as they were all excellent. This was Red Ginger...

A full review of the ship, cruise and itinerary ports, including over 100 photographs, can be found at my cruise blog...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... -mystique/

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Digital Postcards from Oceania Riviera

Post by Manoverboard »

Have chums who have just done something very similar, if not identical ... loved it, thought the food was the best ever but that the price of wine was eye watering expensive.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We had to cancel our trip on Riviera because of illness. As it happens that worked for us since we later heard from a friend, that they cater very poorly for vegetarians.
Gill

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Manoverboard wrote:
Have chums who have just done something very similar, if not identical ... loved it, thought the food was the best ever but that the price of wine was eye watering expensive.
Not a description I would have used particularly when one considers $49 a bottle (including gratuities) for the likes of a DOCG Placido Chianti or a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Then perhaps one's never going to get the full benefit of the food either if money is a problem for good wines.

I did on one occasion pay $83 for a William Fèvre, Chablis Premier Cru...Wow, perfect with the Lobster Thermidor.

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

GillD46 wrote:
We had to cancel our trip on Riviera because of illness. As it happens that worked for us since we later heard from a friend, that they cater very poorly for vegetarians.
Oh I don't know, there always seemed to be at least one Vegetarian dish on each menu. :o

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Solent Richard wrote:
GillD46 wrote:
Oh I don't know, there always seemed to be at least one Vegetarian dish on each menu. :o
In one of the restaurants, a vegan friend ordered soup, having told them in advance that they were vegan - the first spoonful had large lumps of chicken in! They had endless issues, so we have decided it isn't for us.
Gill

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

GillD46 wrote:
Solent Richard wrote:
GillD46 wrote:
In one of the restaurants, a vegan friend ordered soup, having told them in advance that they were vegan - the first spoonful had large lumps of chicken in! They had endless issues, so we have decided it isn't for us.
I can only relate what I experience and not what I have been told.

Having said that from what I read on another forum you'd be advised to give Costa a wide berth.

There's something to be said for veggies and Vegans booking into the Cunard Grills. Again, from personal experience they give that better food service, particularly as your table staff are yours for the whole cruise.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Solent Richard wrote:
GillD46 wrote:
But even that is not much of a "choice" if you are veggie (I'm "normal" but my good lady is of that persuasion !). As a result, I can see things from a veggie perspective and a choice of one dish per menu is not really acceptable, especially if it is something you don't like !

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

By the way - great report and the ship looks excellent

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Solent Richard wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
Not a description I would have used particularly when one considers $49 a bottle (including gratuities) for the likes of a DOCG Placido Chianti or a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Then perhaps one's never going to get the full benefit of the food either if money is a problem for good wines.

I did on one occasion pay $83 for a William Fèvre, Chablis Premier Cru...Wow, perfect with the Lobster Thermidor.
$49 for a bottle of SV that can be purchased for about a fiver in Sainsbugs sounds more like American greed than value for money to me ... ;)

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Manoverboard wrote:
Solent Richard wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

$49 for a bottle of SV that can be purchased for about a fiver in Sainsbugs sounds more like American greed than value for money to me ... ;)
£6.69 at Majestic. You expect to pay a decent mark-up but at current rates $49 = £34 so that's about 500%. One thing you can say about P&O is that the booze prices are fair. I seem to remember a bog-standard Sauvignon is about £18 or £20

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

qbman1 wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
Solent Richard wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

£6.69 at Majestic. You expect to pay a decent mark-up but at current rates $49 = £34 so that's about 500%. One thing you can say about P&O is that the booze prices are fair. I seem to remember a bog-standard Sauvignon is about £18 or £20
I agree with you, the mark up on P&O is absolutely reasonable but Oceania seems to be OTT for what is, after all, a very ordinary wine and one that wouldn't ordinarily be matched to fine dining menus ... not in our experience anyway.

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Manoverboard wrote:
Solent Richard wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

LOL and in the meantime would you be drinking your Sainsbug wine in their elegant cafeteria surrounded by half empty shopping trollies and chaps in flat caps?

Of course not. There is a cruising world out there and Oceania is up there amongst the best: for which there is a price to be paid. :D

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

qbman1 wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
Solent Richard wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

Ah Majestic wines who have recently scrapped their 6 bottle minimum purchase in order to keep up with the competition.

Again, I can't imagine sitting down to a Lobster Thermidor or Prime Rib in their forecourt canteen utterly phased by the clouds of exhaust fumes from their carpark.

Lets get real folks, it really is an anachronism to compare supermarket wine prices with those of cruise ships, or hotels for that matter.

After all, you are on holiday.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Holiday or not I don't take lightly to being ripped off. My money was too hard earned. Organisations will continue to charge these exorbitant prices for so long as they can get away with it. However since people are prepared to pay I don't blame them for charging as they do. Just not for me.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Absolutely OBF ... a fool and his money are soon parted :lol:

ps ... a great goal from your mate Vardy the other night, eh !!!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Ne'er a truer word was spoken Mob. :thumbup:

That goal was a bit special eh? Reminded me of my playing days and goals I scored although mine were more in the 'hoof it and hope' bracket. :lol:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

oldbluefox wrote:
That goal was a bit special eh? Reminded me of my playing days and goals I scored although mine were more in the 'hoof it and hope' bracket. :lol:
... and from 10 yards out with a leather ball, ey-oop :lol:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

oldbluefox wrote:
Ne'er a truer word was spoken Mob. :thumbup:

Truly a great goal but as I keep saying, the bubble must burst eventually.

Let's hope I'm wrong and Leicester can win the title. Everybody outside Manchester and London would be delighted. The only difficult game that I can see coming up is when you play the Saints ;)

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Truly a great goal but as I keep saying, the bubble must burst eventually.
That's what everybody keeps saying but they are still up there.
Quizzical Bob wrote:
The only difficult game that I can see coming up is when you play the Saints ;)
That's what you said last time when we bagged all three points at your place. :lol:
Whatever happens for the rest of the season the ride so far has been unbelievably good. Good luck to all the 'little clubs' outside the fashionable four. :thumbup:

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Manoverboard wrote:
:thumbup:

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

wolfie wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
:thumbup:
LOL. Not likely for a while in this cruisers programme.

Seabourn, Scenic, APT still to come this year and Oceana and a return to Europa 2 in 2017.

:twisted: :twisted:

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

oldbluefox wrote:
Holiday or not I don't take lightly to being ripped off. My money was too hard earned. Organisations will continue to charge these exorbitant prices for so long as they can get away with it. However since people are prepared to pay I don't blame them for charging as they do. Just not for me.
Exactly OldBlueFox.

People are prepared to pay because, as I said earlier, they are on holiday and not all are budget cruisers.

No different from the numbers who take ship's excursions.

It's only on cruise forums, hardly the voice of the majority of cruisers, that you get a any consensus of cruisers watching their pennies.

Quite frankly, if worrying over the costs of what I see as 'normal' activities - having wine with meals in particular - played any part in my cruise planning, I'd give up.

:clap: :clap:

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

God forbid, did I mention earlier that Oceanis levy an 18% gratuity on drinks?

Shock horror.

:roll:

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

An excellent, well-written blog, Richard.

However you say "There is a cruising world out there and Oceania is up there amongst the best: for which there is a price to be paid." While I agree with that, their markup on wine is totally unacceptable and, if ever we were able to afford an Oceania cruise, we would not be frequently the wine list!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”