Cruise & Maritime Marco Polo 3 June 2017

Anything about any other cruise line and/or ship

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Cruise & Maritime Marco Polo 3 June 2017

Post by Jan Rosser »

Well my trip on Marco Polo is almost here - I sail on Saturday from Cardiff unfortunately same day as the European Cup Final so hoping the drive to the docks will be okay. Main reason for the cruise is simply because of the novelty factor of sailing from Cardiff - normally the journey would be around 40 minutes but with all the road closures etc. who knows how long it will take.

The itinerary is St Mary's, Scilly Isles/ Rouen/Antwerp and finally Hull and a coach back to Cardiff - it's for just 6 nights - all new ports to me and some interesting excursions booked. I've booked an outside cabin - looks okay in the photos as does the rest of the ship. I'm going with an open mind - it is the smallest ship I will have sailed on and I have no doubt after sailing on Britannia in January it will seem tiny but what the heck I'm sure I will enjoy myself - I'll certainly let you know how I get on.
Janis

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Cruise & Maritime Marco Polo 3 June 2017

Post by Kenmo1 »

Have a lovely time, Jan.

Maureen

cruisingtoski
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cruisingtoski »

Jan,
I've just returned from a trip to the Norwegian Fjords on the Marco Polo, sailing from Bristol and returning to Cardiff. It was booked at the very last minute and was such a good price (even with 100% single supplement for me ) it would have been rude not to take advantage of the offer!
I normally cruise solo but this time was with my brother and sister in law so can't comment on the "solo experience" but can say we were all very pleasantly surprised with Marco Polo. We have all cruised with various other cruise lines and this was the smallest ship we had all cruised on but we were in agreement that although a different experience it compared very well with other cruises and cruise lines.
My brother lives in Cardiff so going from Bristol and back to Cardiff was a definite bonus.
Anyway enjoy your cruise and look forward to hearing your views when you return.
Denise

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Thanks Cruisingtoski for your post - good to hear from someone who has been on the ship. I found it quite a reasonable price too although as you say 100% single supplement (my friends are paying exactly the same as me :crazy: ) - Cruise and Maritime always seem to have this offer on of "2 for 1" which is great for couples.

Next year C&M have 4 cruises out of Cardiff - will see how this one goes first - better get back to the packing :lol:
Janis

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Have a great time Jan, and please let us know what you thought of it :thumbup:

My dear Mum, now sadly deceased loved C&M and sailed on Marco Polo many times, like you, for the convenience of the port (Tilbury)
Empty vessels .. and all that

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Have a lovely time.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Jan Rosser wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 23:04
Well my trip on Marco Polo is almost here - I sail on Saturday from Cardiff unfortunately same day as the European Cup Final so hoping the drive to the docks will be okay. Main reason for the cruise is simply because of the novelty factor of sailing from Cardiff - normally the journey would be around 40 minutes but with all the road closures etc. who knows how long it will take.

The itinerary is St Mary's, Scilly Isles/ Rouen/Antwerp and finally Hull and a coach back to Cardiff - it's for just 6 nights - all new ports to me and some interesting excursions booked. I've booked an outside cabin - looks okay in the photos as does the rest of the ship. I'm going with an open mind - it is the smallest ship I will have sailed on and I have no doubt after sailing on Britannia in January it will seem tiny but what the heck I'm sure I will enjoy myself - I'll certainly let you know how I get on.
I hope it hasn't gone unnoticed that I haven't mentioned "Hull"

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Have a lovely time Jan and enjoy.
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Enjoy, Jan x
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Have a lovely time, Blod, and just don't think about Hull !!

You'll love the Scillies. We have an unscheduled stop there on Adonia last time. All the tenders are run by hunky local boatmen!

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

qbman1 wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 16:32

You'll love the Scillies. We have an unscheduled stop there on Adonia last time. All the tenders are run by hunky local boatmen!
Not going to see much of Hull - I expect the coaches will be waiting for us as we disembark so it will be "hello" and "goodbye" :lolno:

Looking forward to the Scilly Islands - visiting St. Mary's and the gardens on Tresco - new ports with "hunky local boatmen" what more can a girl ask for ;)
Janis

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

I went on Marco Polo several years ago with my Mother, and loved it - small, bit frayed around the edges, but friendly and a lovely passenger mix. It had a decided list to one side (can't remember which), but that just added to its charm.

Have a wonderful time.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I wish you a lovely cruise, hope you enjoy it :)

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Jan Rosser wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 18:54
qbman1 wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 16:32

Not going to see much of Hull - I expect the coaches will be waiting for us as we disembark so it will be "hello" and "goodbye" :lolno:

Looking forward to the Scilly Islands - visiting St. Mary's and the gardens on Tresco - new ports with "hunky local boatmen" what more can a girl ask for ;)
Hope the weather was good for Tresco. It is a really special garden. We went a few years back when the helicopter service was still running direct to Tresco from Penzance - a smelly old Sikorsky but quite an experience nonetheless!

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”