Post by Stephen »

Secrets of the Mega Cruise Ship 🚒

9pm tonight - channel 5

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: If interested

Post by Onelife »

Thanks Stephen.....it'll depend on what the wife wants to watch... squeak! squeak!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Already set up to record.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Thank you Stephen.
Gill

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Thanks for the reminder Stephen. Now on record as I always manage to fall asleep on the settee by 10pm and this goes on to 10.30pm so never see the end of anything.

Maureen

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Kenmo1 wrote: ↑18 Feb 2019, 14:48
Thanks for the reminder Stephen. Now on record as I always manage to fall asleep on the settee by 10pm and this goes on to 10.30pm so never see the end of anything.

Maureen

Same here :yawn:
Last edited by Stephen on 18 Feb 2019, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Well that was a waste of part of my life.

It really did not show anything and, in my opinion, was rather bland.

It might have been better if somebody had actually taken note of what was being said and used the same facts throughout the program. At various times there were 6k pax, 5k pax, just over 5k pax. Then there was 2k "rooms" (for 6k pax?) And, for an American cruise for a week I doubt that there would have been 15k pieces of luggage.

I was starting to loose the will to live by the end.

The program "The Cruise" about Princess Cruises is a far better program that does go a bit more in depth.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

was watching something on the other side - thanks for the heads up - David - I won't bother to watch it on catch up while doing the ironing!

The Princess version is good
Meg
x

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

The only fact I can remember was 5 tanker loads of poo has to be removed before the next lot of passengers get on. That made us both laugh - childish humour. :oops:

Certainly not a ship for us.

Maureen

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I only watch half of it but it was enough to tell me that l should go into the egg production business.......20,000 per day?

I thought the cruise director could have done with smartening himself up a bit......scruffy sod!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Am I the only one to think that it was a most unusual design?

A bit weird in my opinion.

However as a programme, it didn't do much for experienced cruisers.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

You wouldn't have recognised it as a ship if you hadn't noticed the bottom third of it....awful looking thing. :thumbdown:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Well we watched it this afternoon and thought it was very interesting, the behind the scenes activity reinforced the recent behind scenes tour I took on Ventura, with the added benefit of seeing the actual engine room. As regards the variations in passenger numbers can I recommend buying a pair of wi-fi headphones, it really does help you hear what's said, and I think the 15000 pieces of luggage was for both sets of passengers on turn round day, although I agree even then it might be exaggerated.
Anyway I thought it a worthwhile programme and at least equal to the Majestic Princess one.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Not a ship we would ever sail on but we did find the program interesting. I did find it strange that a ship that size only had one entrance for loading goods.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

We watched it last night and quite enjoyed it. OK, there was nothing really new for those of us lucky enough to have cruised a few times but quite entertaining, nevertheless. 5,000 passenger, 1,500 crew = 6,500 people - too many for us but obviously works for some. Below decks was the interesting bit, the sheer volume of laundry for example - what an awful place to have to work - and the scale of the kitchen was fascinating. Waste disposal was not for the squeamish.

All in all, a bit long but quite watchable and quite possibly gave those new to cruising a bit of an insight into what to expect if they fancy a "floating city"

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Seem many programs like this one, but do still enjoy seeing behind the scenes, not a bad watch.
Don't worry, be happy

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Watched this programme tonight - actually saw the ship "in the flesh" so to speak when we were docked in St. Maartens at Christmas. MSC Seaside was one of several "big" ships docked - Britannia looked quite small in comparison :crazy:

I quite enjoyed the programme but admit I did fast forward through bits of it - watching people ironing sheets and kneading bread doesn't float my boat so to speak and I certainly didn't want to see how they deal with waste disposal :sick: Interesting to see how many of the dancers were British - not clear how many shows they do on a 7 day cruise but does look like hard work although there is compensation in the form of visits to the beach I suppose.
Janis

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Watched this tonight as I was peddling on my exercise bike πŸ˜‡ got to watch something as it's boring....... The bike I meantπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We watched it last night. Moderately interesting. Hideous looking ship. And the stats were all over the place. The crew number varied from 1000 to 1500 to 2000. And they loaded 7000 toilet rolls. With 5000 passengers and 2000 crew that's one per person for the cruise. I reckon that's a bit risky!

Return to β€œAny Other Cruise Line/Ship”