Saving the pennies

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Saving the pennies

Post by Kendhni »

There are many hints and tips that experienced cruisers can give to new cruisers to help them save money ... so post them here.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Re: Saving the pennies

Post by Kendhni »

In the Caribbean all ports will have laods of taxis and vans that will take you on a tour of the island ... usually cheaper than the P&O excursions. Just make sure that you agree the price first ... and ensure you are being quoted for a return trip back to the ship.

Some of these (e.g. Cosul tours in St Lucia) can be booked over the web before hand

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

ask about ports in here before booking trips - diy is often better value
Meg
x

Jaczs+
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jaczs+ »

If you like cocktails have the cocktail of the day as it is cheaper but remember to ask for "The cocktail of the day"

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

If you like a drink in the cabin whilst changing for dinner, take a bottle of your favourite tipple on board with you. Recently P&O have raised to prices for cabin bottles from £12 t0 £26, so even Tesco is cheaper. Besides, they sometimes restrict sale until the 3rd or 4th day of the cruise. You can still buy your tonics, etc from the cabin steward/room service.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

There are often buy-X-get-one-free deals on coffee's, beers and even bottles of water (thanks to Romig for letting me know about that last one)

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

On Oceana, don't have dinner in Cafe Jardin. Not worth the supplement.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Thanks, Kaymar, we were planning on doing precisely that (my daughter was going to treat us). Having read elsewhere about the Plaza being kitted out more "formally" for the Horizon, we'll have a look at that instead. March evenings in the Med may still be a little cool for eating al fresco.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Silver Shiney.

If you go to the Horizon as soon as it opens on the evening you are eating, have a quiet word with the main man to select a particular table - he may well oblige, and reserve it for you.

We did that when we knew we wished to get a full window to look out of when sailing the fjords.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Thanks for that, Romig. I doubt if there will be anything worth watching mid-Med though!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Ah....never thought of that! :roll:

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Not saving the pennies exactly but saving some frustration!

Download and print off your own maps of ports because most port maps do not have enough detail to enable you to find your own way around and more so, do not have a scale!!

I have criticised this, lack of scale on a map, on every cruise questionnaire but it has not improved, let alone being taken on board.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Thanks, Kaymar, we were planning on doing precisely that (my daughter was going to treat us). Having read elsewhere about the Plaza being kitted out more "formally" for the Horizon, we'll have a look at that instead. March evenings in the Med may still be a little cool for eating al fresco.
Silver Shiney, you have probably seen the thread on the Cafe Jardin in "about Oceana" - just so that you know it's not just my opinion! :)

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

wolfie wrote:
Not saving the pennies exactly but saving some frustration!

Download and print off your own maps of ports because most port maps do not have enough detail to enable you to find your own way around and more so, do not have a scale!!.
Good tip Wolfie, I can also add to look out for a tourist informaiton desk which may have some street maps or tourist 'walking maps'. We did this in San Juan and had a fantastic day out.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

kaymar wrote:
Silver_Shiney wrote:
Silver Shiney, you have probably seen the thread on the Cafe Jardin in "about Oceana" - just so that you know it's not just my opinion! :)

Kaymar, it's not often you're wrong, but you're right again! ;)
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Ingram33
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Ingram33 »

When sitting round the pool area, purchase a larger bottle of water - I think it's £1.60 and just keep topping up as need be - a) a lot cheaper than buying several pool drinks, and b) better during hot weather as body stays nicely hydrated - plenty of time at night for alcoholic drinks :). If you really want to be savvy then just nip to self serve restaurant when wanting cup of water - it's absolutely free in there of course! Although I personally much prefer to not move from my sunbed once the sun has appeared! So the first option is good enough for me :)
Also purchase large bottle water from room service as great to keep in fridge instead of purchasing the smaller bottles.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Attend those parties to get a free drink ... however don't worry about the chap giving the speech, that is only the captain, concentrate more on where the waiters are coming from with full trays ... stand close to that area and snaffle as many as you like when they pass.

Ingram33
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Ingram33 »

Ha ha - I like that, Ken - yes on our New Yr cruise this yr my husband went down to Captain's Gala party at 6.30 and collected two drinks for us and brought back to cabin (as we were getting ready for meal at 8.30) - this gave us nice opportunity to enjoy a pre-dinner drink on our balcony before going down again at 8ish. :)

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Ingram33 wrote:
Ha ha - I like that, Ken - yes on our New Yr cruise this yr my husband went down to Captain's Gala party at 6.30 and collected two drinks for us and brought back to cabin (as we were getting ready for meal at 8.30) - this gave us nice opportunity to enjoy a pre-dinner drink on our balcony before going down again at 8ish. :)
Excellent idea, perhaps we should try it on Azura ;)

Ingram33
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Ingram33 »

Yes, Wina - this was Azura, beautiful ship :) and luckily no norovirus at new year!

dorsetlad
Cadet
Cadet

Post by dorsetlad »

Ingram33 wrote:
That's a great idea, even for first sitting, as you could come out after your dinner and collect an after dinner drink. :P

Brian

haveabeer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by haveabeer »

My top tip go with an open mind dont listen to negative comments
If we had listened to some comments we had before we booked our first cruise we would never have gone.
Dave

Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

Kendhni wrote:
Attend those parties to get a free drink ... however don't worry about the chap giving the speech, that is only the captain, concentrate more on where the waiters are coming from with full trays ... stand close to that area and snaffle as many as you like when they pass.
we ended up with loads of drinks for the Captain's gala on our last cruise hee hee (not on purpose either!!)

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

Dont always think that going to visit places on your own is cheaper than doing a P & O tour. ie. I was looking at the Nelsons dockyard trip which is around £38 with P & O. Looking at the taxi fares on line (which I dont know whether they are this years or last years prices) together with the admission fees for three of us works out at around £10 per head dearer.... So its worth doing your homework first... :-)
The pesky scarfaced pirate

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Good point jack. While local drivers are often good value you have to remember that admission into the various places is usually not included in their price (whereas it is on a ship tour). On one cruise our tablemates, who always did DIY were surprised once to find out that their DIY tour had cost more than the P&O one.

Return to “New to Cruising”