Cruising etiquette

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Sealion
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Cruising etiquette

Post by Sealion »

I agree David they were exceptional and vile with it!
However such people are rare.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hmmm - on a table for 2 it just doesn't happen! We've had a couple of chats in the lounge though.

Em ;)

Redrosegirlie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Redrosegirlie »

Manoverboard wrote:

It is not a question that we would normally ask, there are after all a zillion other ice breaking cruise related questions to ask ... so why pick on that one unless you aim to impress ?

It is a subject that will crop up of course but tis best done imo after everybody has a better idea of how their table mates tick.
I agree MOB. The topic usually comes out in conversation without the bragging.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

We never ask if they have cruised before, how many cruises or anything of the sort. As has been mentioned, it usually comes up sometime during the cruise anyway.

We may ask how their journey to Southampton was, that usually gets the conversation going if there is a lull.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

to return to the OP:

don't ask the same question over and over...........
Meg
x

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

I always ask if my fellow cruisers have 'had a lovely day' . You really only need to know how the current day has gone, you will soon learn if this is their first visit or they have been before. Most newbies want to know what to expect as the cruise goes on and will ask for advice or information. It is 'how you tell 'em' as some comedian used to say I believe. :) Jay
Jay

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I remember getting talking to one person who did nothing but talk about his cruising experience ... on and on and on ... after we managed to escape he even went from person to person telling the same stories ... if memory serves me right his name was Cap Tain.

Mo2013
I am banned
I am banned

Post by Mo2013 »

I have decided that the bad mannered pushers and shovers are not people who belong to forums because no-one on any forum I have had experience of has admitted to being a loud, boorish, snobbish queue jumper, sunbed saver, pusher or shover. :o

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Perhaps then it should be made compulsory that in order to go on a cruise you have to prove that you are a member of an approved forum then all problems go away - simples

Serendipity
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Serendipity »

I just tend to be myself and not delve too deeply into things.
Some people are naturally aggressive, boasters, always right but they usually end up being Billy no mates then wondering why! :yawn:
I hope we don't meet any of these types on our cruise.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

This has got totally off topic so I am going to go back through and delete all posts from the last load of pages that are not on the original topic. It is possible that some may get swept up in the clean up .. so I apologise in advance. If anybody has an issue with that then PM me and I will reinstate the posts but in a different thread.

In particular, Mo, the discussion in relation to "ignorance vs living in ones own world" could well be worthy of a separate thread

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Whenever we are embarking on a ship at the moment we find our suite very quickly and then go for lunch. A few times recently though we have come down from lunch and found on our way back to our suite other passengers who are either new to cruising or new to the ship who are not finding their accommodation as easily as we found ours - and we always ask and try and help.

Em :)

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner »

One night at dinner a couple informed us that they had been to Hell & back that day.......... but then we had been docked in Trondheim!

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

If the sun is shining avoid Mr Howmuch

But if it is hissing down - engage with Mr Howmuch

He will make your day even more dismal, you might get an invite back to his Owners Cabin . . .

which cost about the price of packet of Woodbines :sick:
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

gfwgfw wrote:
If the sun is shining avoid Mr Howmuch

But if it is hissing down - engage with Mr Howmuch

He will make your day even more dismal, you might get an invite back to his Owners Cabin . . .

which cost about the price of packet of Woodbines :sick:
Woodbines, eh? That's going back a bit, Mr G! You'll be talking about the little matchsticks also known as Players No 10 next!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Kendhni wrote:
This has got totally off topic so I am going to go back through and delete all posts from the last load of pages that are not on the original topic. It is possible that some may get swept up in the clean up .. so I apologise in advance. If anybody has an issue with that then PM me and I will reinstate the posts but in a different thread.

In particular, Mo, the discussion in relation to "ignorance vs living in ones own world" could well be worthy of a separate thread
Obviously you never did cull this thread Ken, I have just waded through pages of what not to discuss at dinner, if we are not careful we might frighten any newcomer into complete silence in the MDR.

My suggestion to newcomers would be never be frightened to ask a question on this forum, although you might need a filter to find the answer you expect, since most forummers love to pass on their knowledge of cruising, even it is a little biased to their own lifestyle.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Not strictly for cruising only, but more critical in the relatively confined space of a ship, when you get out of the lift do not immediately stop to consider your next move - ditto when exiting the dining room, theatre etc. If you need time to reset the onboard SatNav, move to one side and allow others to pass.

And one that is mainly for cruising, though may apply to other venues such as planes and trains, please take notice of the information about what not to put down the toilet. The rest of us don't want to go for a wee in the night to find the system has stopped working.

And please take advantage of whatever sanitary arrangements as are provided, such as soap and water in the public loos (assuming these are working - see above) and hand gel when offered in restaurants. You may not bo bothered about your own health but we are! ;)

Husbear
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Husbear »

Ok. Hello. One and all . All you lot are saying that. We are not able to ask have you cruised before as it's rude ..I have to ask. Is that my partner I wouldn't mind talking about that as we don't think it's that rude speaking about cruise .

The thing we found on our last cruise that we sat on table for breakfast it was a table of six
We found our selfs talking cruising then when we were asked what we did for a living my self a post office work and writer and my partner a nhs senior nurse and artist . We found the other couple very dismissive . Then we talked about moving to cornwall about not having a mortage as we both had savings and could buy out right the conversation quickly turn to each other talking about. Selling their 6 or7 bed room house and buying bigger and they were buying a second house in Cornwall . Ah ok that's cool . But do they need to be to the waiters not even saying thank you. .. Oh please .. We left the table thinking that some people think they are better than others.. Btw my patner and I are both in our 30s. . We love cruising. We both work we have no hung ups ... But please talk to each other about crusing it's fun it's not rude ..

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

Do not do this

I was in the buffet once and forgot the soup spoon. went to get it and when I got back my soup etc was still there, but someone had stolen my chair!

the head waiter found me another one but I would have preferred to get the original one back and make the idiot stand!.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I often ask people about their cruises. :oops:
It's not that I'm looking for any upmanship. It's just that I am interested to hear what others have done, where they have been, who with etc and don't perceive any point scoring, just a sharing of a common interest. And if they have been around the world or to exotic lands, then all the better.

We once met a young girl in a bar in Switzerland who was on a gap year going around the world. She had been to Everest Base Camp. My ears pricked up but not for long as she was the most boring individual I had ever come across and I was left wondering why she had bothered.

Perhaps others are not as interested in travel as I am. And my apologies if I have met you and asked about your cruising. No offence meant.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Please feel free to ask anything you like :D :D

However you may not like the reply :wave:
Nihil Obstat

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Hands up , I am guilty. I love hearing about people cruises. It is the destination and things to do whilst there that I find interesting. It gives an insight in to future travel plans for us. This is the same reason I love reading cruise reports on forums. On the first night in the MDR my OH has a habit of introducing us as A&A from Nottingham. So far we have been lucky the usual response being Forest or County.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

DK - :lol:

Andrea, it could be worse. You could be A&A from Derby!! :lol:

DK - :wave: :thumbup:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

hey ho OBF
Nowt wrong wi Derby, although I am moving soon to more northern climes
couls be worse, could be leicester or some such hellhole :sick: :sick:
Nihil Obstat

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Dark Knight wrote:
I am moving soon to more northern climes
That's worrying DK. We're very selective up 'ere in the norf. :lolno:
You're not going anywhere near Hull are you, looking for Prem football? The lengths some will go to................

Return to “New to Cruising”