Taking drink on board for cabin

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Topic author
nickyonhols
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Taking drink on board for cabin

Post by nickyonhols »

The FAQ says a small amount? What have other people taken on board and been ok with? I would like to take a special bottle of champagne as it is my birthday during the cruise - is this ok and no corkage in the room? What about a bottle of baileys? Can you take a sports bottle with you and are there water coolers around the ship or just in the restaurant? If I take my fruit infuser bottle on board, am I ok to fill up with fruit from breakfast and water at the buffett restuarant - how strict are they? As bottled water is going to cost me a fortune as I drink loads of water at home.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Taking drink on board for cabin

Post by allatc »

Some cruise lines seem more picky than others. Which cruise line are you going on ?
I have taken 1 ltr bottles of sherry on-board Princess and P&O in main luggage, not hand luggage, without problems but Princess would not let me take on board a very small bottle of cognac in hand luggage (or to be more accurate they kept it and gave it back at the end of the cruise)
I suggest you pack your Baileys and champagne in your main luggage.
Filling bottles of fruit juice from the buffet is frowned upon but you can take fruit away with you.
Don't think they much like you filling water bottles either.
I have taken multi-packs of water onto the ship without problems.

Snoozen82
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Snoozen82 »

Hi Nickyonhols

In regards to Alcohol, you can take as much as you like, for drinking inside your cabin. If you take it from your cabin to any of the bars or restaurants they will charge you £15 corkage.

Water is only available for free in the buffet restaurant and they ask you to avoid filling your own bottles here. I think there may be a water dispenser in the gym, but I can't be certain. Unfortunately, you'll have to buy bottled water for drinking in your cabin and it's not cheap. Depending on where you're going it's best to stock up on water in whatever ports you may be going to and bring it back on the ship.

I can't imagine they'd have a problem with you filling your bottle with fruit and water at breakfast though.

Having just returned from a P&O xmas/new year cruise I can say i never once witnessed anyone stopping someone filling their own bottles with water in the buffet restaurant.

Hope that helps

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Hi Nickyonhols,

One thing to remember is that the water available in the buffet and the gym etc is exactly the same as comes out of the tap in your cabin. ie de -salinated from the sea water taken on by the on board plant. So, whilst it is perfectly safe it is most definitely NOT the same as the bottled water you purchase on board or ashore. You can make the ships water more palatable by filling up a large bottle from your cabin tap and chilling in the fridge.

Hope this helps

Happy cruising

Maureen

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

We usually buy one or two bottles of water at the start of the cruise and then refill then from the bathroom and put them in the fridge - cannot tell the difference.

AnnCAgain
Cadet
Cadet

Post by AnnCAgain »

The reason you may not fill your bottles up from the dispenser, including at breakfast, is hygiene. You might not do so, but some may accidentally or otherwise touch the drinking edge of the bottle on the dispenser, and this may pass viruses and/or bacteria around. So I, for one, agree with their stance on this.
We buy a pack of six x 1 litre bottles of water on board for cabin use - there is usually an offer on if you buy in bulk. But, as other say, the tap water is palatable if you chill it in the fridge.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

As David says Nicky the water on board from your own bathroom tap is perfectly drinkable, but will benefit from cooling overnight in your fridge.
Regarding taking drinks on board for your cabin consumption, assuming you are on P&O they allow you to take a reasonable amount of spirits, wine and beer on board, and you can buy further quantities at any port. US lines normally limit you to 2 bottles of wine per cabin, but most lines allow you take water and soft drinks on board.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Return to “New to Cruising”