My view of ............ Barcelona

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
The Invigilator
Second Officer
Second Officer

My view of ............ Barcelona

Post by The Invigilator »

This city is absolutely amazing, stunning, beautiful, bustling, vibrant, fascinating - I could go on.
We decided to DIY it. We had the whole day here and boy oh boy did we cram it :D The shuttle bus dropped us off at the World Trade Centre at the bottom of Las Ramblas near the Christopher Columbus monument. Once at the monument stand with your back to the sea and Las Ramblas is across the square in front of you. A very short walk up Las Ramblas you will see on the left the entrance to the Metro (a red M on a white background) this is what we used to move around Barcelona and it is so easy. Firstly you will need cash to get your tickets, there are no staff kiosks it is all automated but don't worry there is an English option. We purchased the all day travel ticket which was 7.9e each same price for adults and children. When you first go through the barriers the ticket does take a while to register so don't worry if you don't get it back immediately after the first use though it is very quick. We made our way to Park Guell first which was amazing, it does get very busy with tourist buses and school trips but still an amazing place. We spent ages mooching around the Park and sat and listened to the amazing harpists and violinists around it. From here we walked back to the Metro stopping at a super food market where some local chocolate and walnut flans were order of the day. We used the metro to travel to the Sagreda it was very busy with long queues waiting to go inside so just walked around the outside - and it is beautiful. Fascinating contrast between the original Gaudi part at the front and the more modern architecture at the back. From here we decided to jump back on the Metro and went to explore the Gothic Quarter - just fascinating exploring all the narrow streets and a compulsory visit to a small bakery was made to purchase some churros mmmmmmmm yummy. Quite by chance whilst exploring the narrow streets we found the amazing Gothic Cathedral, and what a beautiful find. There is a charge of 3e each to enter but what meets your eyes is breathtaking, it was a beautiful sunny day which made the colours lighting up the floor from the stunning stained glass windows even more amazing. At one end there is a huge 10m wide Rose Window and then down both sides of the church there are huge arch stained glass windows. We were allowed to explore the crypt and there was also a fascinating museum and walled garden too. From here we walked back downLas Ramblas to the Christopher Columbus monument and then crossed over the road and turned to the left where there a a lovely marina which we walked around before jumping back on the bus and returning to the ship. An amazing city - cant wait to return some day.

If you feel uneasy about DIYing the day before we were due to arrive at Barcelona a bus trip was advertised in the horizon, it was priced at £19 per adult and I think £12 per child. There was no tour guide but the bus dropped off at Park Guell and then at the Sagreda, (entrance fees not included) but you are only given a fairly short time to explore - about 40mins according to a lady we were chatting to. Park Guell is free to enter and at Sagreda there are different admission fees depending on what you want to do.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: My view of ............ Barcelona

Post by Manoverboard »

I am really enjoying your City critiques Babs ... and after reading this one I am even more keen to return to Barcelona like wot we will be doing for three days later on in the year as part of a Riverboat trip.

:clap:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

The I . . . . . R

We are in accord re Barca

A most interesting city, many many delights to enjoy, except for the pesky pick pockets and the blind eyed police

Lisbon has it's moments' a trip on the tourist Tram is great fun, with a good supply of pastries and wine to indulge, true it is temporally on a bit of a downer, head out of town a short distance is a good idea

Kindly

Graham
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

HK phooey
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by HK phooey »

Babs, you are spot on, Barcelona is a wonderful place to visit. I need to go back as on our visit we just stayed on Las Ramblas, playing with the mimes, shopping and drinking Sangria. It's one of those places where you just feel like smiling.

stocktonmackem
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by stocktonmackem »

I agree with you, Barcelona is a fabulous city. It is my all time favourite. Sounds like you had a fantastic holiday again. What have you planned for next year. We are doing the med again which includes Barcelona so i am a happy lady. :D

Topic author
The Invigilator
Second Officer
Second Officer

HK phooey wrote:
Babs, you are spot on, Barcelona is a wonderful place to visit. I need to go back as on our visit we just stayed on Las Ramblas, playing with the mimes, shopping and drinking Sangria. It's one of those places where you just feel like smiling.
Absolutely agree HK, we loved watching the mimes - they seem to multiply in front of your eyes we were concentrating so much on a cowboy and a cycling witch type thing that we didn't realise The Mask, Alien, Golden Statue and a dog mime had set up too. Just a fantastic atmosphere. Didn't do any shopping though - think that keeping us busy exploring might have been a ploy of hubby - so have to go back now if only to mooch the shops :lol: :thumbup:

Topic author
The Invigilator
Second Officer
Second Officer

stocktonmackem wrote:
I agree with you, Barcelona is a fabulous city. It is my all time favourite. Sounds like you had a fantastic holiday again. What have you planned for next year. We are doing the med again which includes Barcelona so i am a happy lady. :D
Hi ya Stockonmackem - how are you? We thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed our Med Cruise and hope that next year we can book an Eastern Med one - perhaps a fly/cruise. However, we just need to wait a while as unfortunately the place I work are making a lot of people redundant so once I know what's happening there we can make a decision.

Topic author
The Invigilator
Second Officer
Second Officer

Manoverboard wrote:
I am really enjoying your City critiques Babs ... and after reading this one I am even more keen to return to Barcelona like wot we will be doing for three days later on in the year as part of a Riverboat trip.

:clap:
Thanks Moby :D

Hope you have a fab time - any room for a little one to squeeze inside your cases? I would go back in a flash :-)

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

The open top 'bus tours are very good - three routes to choose from. We did one on an extremely hot day and there was a very enterprising student selling bottles of completely frozen water for 1 euro. They thawed as you drank them!

On two other occasions we just did Las Ramblas. Absolutely love the Boqueria Market (halfway up Las Ramblas on the left) - definitely a must-see

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Pleased you enjoyed Barcelona Babs, a City I never tire of, so much to do and see, it's on my bucket list for a long weekend.
Jo

stocktonmackem
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by stocktonmackem »

The Invigilator wrote:
stocktonmackem wrote:
Hi ya Stockonmackem - how are you? We thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed our Med Cruise and hope that next year we can book an Eastern Med one - perhaps a fly/cruise. However, we just need to wait a while as unfortunately the place I work are making a lot of people redundant so once I know what's happening there we can make a decision.
I'm fine thanks, enjoyed reading your reports. Hopefully you will get sorted at work and get the next cruise booked. We are counting down the days to our cruise in Sept. Its great reading the reports of everyones holidays and makes me even more excited. For me the countdown is just as good as the holiday. lol

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Another excellent city report Babs. I also agree, Barca is a lovely city - if a little busy in the tourist hot-spots.

AlexandraW
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by AlexandraW »

We have just enjoyed a week in Barcelona for New Year and it was fabulous....did you know that you can go to the top of the Christopher Columbus column? It is approx €4.50 each, the lift accommodates 4 pax and the lift attendant, you can actually feel it moving at the top! Fabulous views all around the city and las Ramblas. We previously docked there on Ventura and had no idea you could go up the column, it was a surprise when we arrived on 28th December and we could see people at the top! Wish we were there now!

simeon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by simeon »

I have to admit that reading the way you describe it makes me want to go back there! I have always felt that Barcelona was seriously underappreciated by a number of different people. The city if beautiful, the sights are amazing and the people there are friendly….must…resit…urge…to…go…back

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

.... and there are a couple of fantastic Tapas Bars within walking distance which should not be missed even if you have yet to try one.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Hey Ho

I have mega memories of Barca with the much beloved

None more when I spent my monthly beer money on joining my Arsenal buddies to witness the best ever semi final in the Euro Cup many years since

The Gunners won

Sadly

There is a bleedy BUT

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Yep Baca is indeed a fab city, had my wallet nicked, no money on board

Just one condom with a cryptic written appendage . . . .

Get **** you sad looser

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

. . . BTW

The condom was sadly out of date and doctored by my wee Swiss Army whatsit

Hey Ha

The Jovial Giant of Cerne Abass