Valletta

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Islander
Cadet
Cadet

Valletta

Post by Islander »

Valletta will be a new port for us. Any advice on what to see would be much appreciated. We will be going it alone, so would like to see as as much as poss. Thanks.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Valletta

Post by Suekersh »

Hi,
We called there on our last cruise. There is a lift to get you to the battlements costs 1 euro bit sves a lot if uphill walking. We made sure we were there at midday when they fire the midday gun. We then wandered into the centre armed with maps.

Another option is the HOHO bus. 2 routes red or blue. Red takes you around the island to medina and other old towns. Very interesting. The blue route takes round the harbour and the blue grotto. Not done this one yet but it is on our list for next time.

Sue

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Apart from the lift you could walk, quite steep, or ride in a pony n trap up to the Town ... they have a Cathedral plus an M&S with aircon which could be a blessing but lots of easy walking and picture opportunities, we thought the ' Palace of the Grand Masters ' was certainly worth the visit.

You could consider buying a Thomas Cook's HotSpots Travel Guide re Malta for a few £££s on e-Bay to get an idea of what is on offer on the Island as a whole.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Hi Islander

I've been to Malta more times than you can shake a stick at. Just come back actually.

Your ship berths right in the city so walk right to the new lift. You shouldn't miss it, it's huge.
That takes you to Upper Barakka Gardens. By the way, they fire the cannon with a ceremony, everday at midday.

Walking through the gardens brings you into Valletta. It's a very small city and very walkable.
A must, if you like churches & history, is the St John Co-Catherdral. Quite a plain outside but serious bling when you get in. You get a talkie headset thing to guide you round.

As Mob said, the Palace of the Grand Masters is worth it plus go into the tourist office and they have loads of stuff

You should have a lovely day out without spending a fortune.

Enjoy !!!
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Islander
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Islander »

Thanks everyone. Info very helpful. Will definitely take the lift and try to see the places you've all suggested, and make sure we don't miss the noon canon.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Just for a laugh Islander, try the Maltese drink called Kinnie

It's not like anything else you ever have tasted.
It's weirdly bitter and my wife thinks it's disgusting but I always make a point of having some.
Give it a go for a few cents a can and see what you think.

To be honest, it represents Malta in a nutshell
You either love it or hate it. A bit like the island.

Topic author
Islander
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Islander »

Will both try that drink and let you know the verdict. Is it alcoholic? Will probably like Valletta cos it's a new port and we love exploring by ourselves, and always keep an open mind. Not many places we hate the only one that springs to mind is Casablanca. Always stay on board now if we dock there. Our first visit left us cold.The Mosque was fantastic but the rest left a lot to be desired.

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by The Monocled Mutineer »

I lived in Malta for four years - during my formative teens.

Malta is BURSTING With history.

Before you sail try and buy on Amazon / E-Bay second-hand Ernle Bradford's 'The Great Seige'. A great read and one of the most inspiring stories of the second millennium's Islam/Christian interface in Europe (1565).

||||
o Q
<
\__/

|>o<|
TMM

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

The Monocled Mutineer wrote:
I lived in Malta for four years - during my formative teens.

Malta is BURSTING With history.

Before you sail try and buy on Amazon / E-Bay second-hand Ernle Bradford's 'The Great Seige'. A great read and one of the most inspiring stories of the second millennium's Islam/Christian interface in Europe (1565).

||||
o Q
<
\__/

|>o<|
We had an interesting talk on this very subject on a recent Aurora cruise.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

What is Valletta like for a wheelchair, a transit model which I push, and I trust that the new lift entry and exit areas are also wheelchair friendly.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Holiday Planner »

towny44 wrote:
What is Valletta like for a wheelchair, a transit model which I push, and I trust that the new lift entry and exit areas are also wheelchair friendly.
There are a lot of cobbles and steps in the old town - pretty difficult with a wheelchair I should imagine.
check this out: http://www.maltainsideout.com/23636/tal ... isability/
Angela

Topic author
Islander
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Islander »

Thanks everyone for the tips for what to see in Valletta. We absolutely loved it and can't wait to go again and explore further. The lift was a godsend on a steaming hot day. Noon day Gun Ceremony wonderful and very informative. Impressed with everything we saw. The streets were spotless, the shop prices very reasonable and we even liked the Kinnie. Would like to go across the harbour to the two other forts next time. Anyone know if there is a Maltese vaporetti service. Already planning for next time! Thanks again.

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

A little research reveals that there are water taxis operating in the two harbours that flank Valletta. The rates look reasonable although some hirings would appear to be for a minimum of three people, so a couple or a single person would have to pay three fares - fair enough.

Would be a bonus if we can obtain the services of a djghjsa and her boatman.

One presumes that these ply their trade on or near the new Waterfront Centre (where cruise ships berth). Will soon know come Thursday 26 September.
TMM

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

So glad you enjoyed it Islander.

One thing I've always said about Malta is that you always feel very safe and Valletta is a special place, if you enjoy history.

I can't believe someone else likes Kinnie :clap:

I reckon you will enjoy it even more next time.

See if you can get up to the Silent City (Mdina). There is a tearoom right up on the ramparts called Fontenellas.
It serves the best chocolate cake you will taste.

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Acquired the taste for Kinnie in my teenage years there.
TMM

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Is the new Bakkara Lift up the ramparts of Valletta a cage, a glass or an opaque lift?

Mrs K is not good with heights.
TMM

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

The Monocled Mutineer wrote:
Is the new Bakkara Lift up the ramparts of Valletta a cage, a glass or an opaque lift?
I presume that you are referring to the Barrakka Lift - if so then this Youtube video should give you some idea as to what it is like.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

That's the bad boy David.

A pretty impressive piece of engineering and you'd be delighted to know that it was 85% funded by the EU.

Malta has been a huge beneficiary of EU funding for projects and proudly shout it from the rooftops.
Everywhere you go, there is signage up.

When I first visited, you had to drive avoiding the huge potholes.
The main roads are now immaculate.
Mind you, I don't think I've ever been anywhere with more speed cameras

Topic author
Islander
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Islander »

More thanks MM and barney for latest info. Will most certainly go to to Fontenellas and have the chocolate cake and save the Kinnie for later in the day. MM if you discover more about the water taxis or any other form of water transport on your Set.26th cruise we would welcome your advice for next year. Also, I'm not good with heights either but the lift was so fast you no sooner got in and you were out again so if I can do it anyone can.
Must say that they have used the EU funding very wisely and it is a great credit to them, Valetta is a beautiful place to visit and the waterfront area where ship berths is really lovely.

Capt Black
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Capt Black »

For a drink you could always try a place simply called The Pub. Bit of a Royal Navy watering hole, main claim to fame is that it is where Oliver Reed died during his final booze binge. Lots of RN stuff like cap bands of ships long gone and photos as well as sort of shrine to Olly.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Also in Valletta - at the top of the hour on the hour there is a musical fountain in the main square. We loved our visit to the Peace Bell, lovely views there too. In the War Museum (which is well worth a visit) is the last of the trio of Gladiators - 'Faith'.

On a non-alcoholic note - there is an icecream place (with bakery attached) near M&S which does orange cheesecake icecream - delicious. As we didn't use the lift, we thought we deserved it.

Em :relaxed:

Topic author
Islander
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Islander »

Thanks again Barney,Boris & Cpt.Black for latest suggestions. Looks like we will have to look for another cruise in 2015 that takes in Valetta, one day in 2014 won't be enough. Good excuse to keep going back.

Cockers43
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Cockers43 »

Islander,

If you get the time take a bus to Marsaxlokk - its a beautiful fishing village with restaurants on the quayside selling great fish and chips!

Used to go to Malta every New Year and this was one of our favourites! :thumbup: If you are visiting on Arcadia we may see your there.
Ian
Booby Boogie Boarder

Topic author
Islander
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Islander »

Thanks Cockers43 . Will add it to our list of must see and do. Yes, it is on Arcadia, J415. It's our favourite ship and we do the same cruise every year, because Venice is a love of ours. Valetta is a very close second, and we are hoping it's going to be a regular port of call so we can keep on exploring such a lovely place.

Return to “Europe”