Geiranger

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Phantom menace
Cadet
Cadet

Geiranger

Post by Phantom menace »

We are going in 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? We are going with thomson and are considering a trip up the mountain (can't remember the name) but their excursion is a bit long for our 3 year old. I have seen that there is a local tour company who do similar bus trips. Has anyone done any of these?

Our little menace is looking forward to going up a mountain, nearly as much as going on the flam railway, which brings me to another question...maybe I'll look to see if anyone has started a flam topic first. Thanks in advance for your help.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Geiranger

Post by oldbluefox »

Geiranger is a beautiful little village and I believe the mountain you may be looking at is Mt Dalsnibba. We did this excursion and weren't overly impressed. You get a ride up the mountain providing extensive views and plenty of hairpin bends but once at the top there is very little there. I would be tempted to save your money, have a walk up the hill and visit the Norwegian Fjord Centre where there are all sorts of exhibits of life in the fjord, including a simulated avalanche. It's a fair walk uphill but they have a little (expensive) shop and a picnic area. Stop off at the little church on the way for some beautiful views of Geiranger and the fjord, and your ship. I would say there is more there to occupy a little one's attention rather than a ride up a mountain and if he walks it you can always tell him he is climbing the mountain. There's a nice stream and waterfalls on the way but keep him away from the edge - it's rather fast-flowing!!
Have never been to Flaam so can't help you there.

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

The tour goes to Mt Dalsnibba.

There are some local tours on offer. I took a picture of a board at the dockside displaying some prices, but it is on my home pooter. I'll look it up for you when I get home. I'm pretty sure there was a local Dalsnibba tour.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

the fjord centre is wonderful....

BUT don't book a trip with it along with a load of other stuff - we did and didn't get anywhere near long enough.
http://www.visitnorway.com/uk/Product/?pid=188939
Meg
x

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

The walk to the fjords centre isn't too taxing - for a young 'un like yourself!

I think there is a kiddie's playground of sorts just outside it too.

We did a fabulous walk up the fjord side from the fjord centre, which ended at a fantastic viewpoint directly above where the boats tender to - but it probably isn't too suitable for a little one (unless on a tight rein).

Topic author
Phantom menace
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Phantom menace »

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think we will have a look at the fjords centre. I've also heard rumours of a chocolate shop in geiranger.

Romig "for a young 'un like yourself!" I see that my Bobby Charlton comb over is fooling someone.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

If I remember rightly admission wasn't overly expensive either. Well worth a visit for young and old.

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Peter D »

Geiranger

The whole point of Geiranger is the cruise down the fjord.

Firstly, get on top and to the bow at about 5:30am, and wrap up warm and take your camera. The sail into Geiranger is spectacular. You can get up there earlier but you will reach the main sights of the Seven Sisters and Suitor at about 6:00-6:30am. Well worth the effort the views are amazing. Cascading waterfalls, snow, tranquil what more can you say. Ladies and Gents – linen trousers and flimsy tops or even shorts and t-shirts are not the clothing to wear at 6am when cruising up Geiranger Fjords even in July, it is bloody cold.

This is a tender port. Geiranger is a small village so a walk around will not take long. A must do is the customary photo with the troll; those who have been will know who I mean, and a look around the tourist shops.

You can walk up the hill to the Fjords centre. Very easy to find. When you get off the tender, there are shops in front of you, to the right a few more shops and a hill, a steep hill. Basically up the hill, past the wooden church, past a waterfall on your right, hotel in front of you then round the bend and it’s on the right the other side of the waterfall you walked past. Go over the bridge and you are there. The photos on the very large screen are amazing (There is a charge) lots to see here and good place for coffee and a snack and it was not a silly price either, plus clean loos!!

If you love views and fresh air then the excursion to Mount Dalsnibba is worth doing. The trip up is a little daunting with the wind roads but when you reach the mountain it is well worth it for the brilliant views over the mountain tops. It seems strange to see and walk in snow in July and a nearby lake was frozen solid. On the way back down you will have a viewing stop where you can see all the ships in the fjord.

You are able to DIY excursions here.
Regards

Peter

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Phantom,

Yes, there is a chocolate shop - and what a smashing place. Here's how to find it:

Get off the tender and head for the gap in between the big shop wooden building which as you stand facing it will be on your left, and the tourist office - which is slight over to the right. There is a very very slight slope going up towards the road - turn right as if you are going up the hill. Virtually the first small road on the right as you start to walk up the hill is the way to go - it might have a signpost for camping. The choccy shop is about the third little building/shack on your right, and will be between you and the water's edge.

If you decide to walk up the hill, although there isn't a lot of traffic, there is still traffic (cars and buses), and there is virtually no pavement most of the way.

It's an absolute jewel of a place, have a great time.

Em :)

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

We did the trip up Mt Dalsnibba, and unfortunately it was a cloudy day, and we didn't actually see anything

But there was snow at the top, so your little one may like that. We went in the middle of July, so I'm not sure how much would be left by mid August.

But as others have said, there is a lot to see in Geiranger itself. Also, if the cloud cover is okay they do helicopter trips, and your little one would probably like watching the helicopter flying to and fro.
Gill

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Found the photo, but it's too large to post on this site. Details are as follows:

Dalsnibba Bus (2hrs) 250 Norwegian Krone 9.40, 12.40 and 14.35

Also...

Rib Boat Safari (1hr) 445 NK, Every Hour

Sightseeing Boat (1.5hr) 190NK, 9.30, 11.30, 14.30, 17.00

HOHO Bus (1.5Hr) 180 NK 10.15, 11.15, 12.15, 1.15

And electric bikes also mentioned.

Hope this helps. Have a great time whatever you end up doing!

RB1961
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by RB1961 »

A quick question

Would it be possible to get to the Fjord centre being pushed in a manual wheelchair.
Reasonably fit male pushing reasonably light wife...well at the start of the cruise :lol:

Thanks

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

RB1961 wrote:
A quick question

Would it be possible to get to the Fjord centre being pushed in a manual wheelchair.
Reasonably fit male pushing reasonably light wife...well at the start of the cruise :lol:

Thanks
I'd personally say yes, but I'm glad it ain't me doing the pushing. :lol:

It's all uphill and steepish in places, but there are places without a pavement where the person in the chair may feel exposed when the numerous coaches pass by (which can be quite close).

RB1961
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by RB1961 »

Cheers Romig

I guess I can blindfold her.... :clap:

Topic author
Phantom menace
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Phantom menace »

Thanks romig for going to the trouble of looking that up for us. We plan on having a good time as this is probably the last cruise we will be doing for a few years :thumbdown: (the menace family is expanding :thumbup: )and also its an extra cruise we didn't think we would be doing this year, mrs menace got a bonus from work :clap: . We have cruised with thomson a few times, the last time about 6 years ago so I'm looking forward to seeing how we rate them now. I've also realised its actually next Friday we go :? So I'd bet think about packing. Thanks again everyone.

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Romig1 wrote:
The walk to the fjords centre isn't too taxing - for a young 'un like yourself!

Don't listen to Romig.. He told us the walk to Briksdal Glacier was a gentle stroll and not too hard.. I was nearly on my knees after 30 mins :lol: but well worth it once we reached the top. :clap:
Jenni

Topic author
Phantom menace
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Phantom menace »

Well we're all packed and ready to go. We sail on Saturday but travelling down tomorrow with a planned visit to Colchester zoo. Mrs menace is struggling with pregnancy stuff (finding eating hard and very tired) so we may avoid anything too strenuous and long day trips. Little menace is quite happy going to the fjord centre, well once I told him there was a play park he was. The chocolate shop is also in the itinery. Thanks again for your help, ideas and directions.

P.M.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Hope you have a great trip. Geiranger and the sail in/out is beautiful and certainly my favourite port in Norway. Let us know how you fare.

Return to “Europe”